What to do after root

KurtM88

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So now that I have rooted my phone what should I do what are some cool apps and something I can do to save battery

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted too then unlocked the bootloader and flashed a Rom. Check out synergy rom over at xda developers. Makes the phone run better with lots of tweaks and cool mods.

kmr296

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Titanium Backup, Thether (by clockworkmod), Wifi tether (by Muller, Lemons, Buxton), AdFree. Flash Clockworkmod and backup.

Roffles

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The two things I use root for is ad blocking and freezing bloat. All other tweaks, such as installing SwiftKey, Nova Launcher, and Chrome for better core functionality, can be done without root.

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I installed Bean`s ROM a couple of days ago, and my battery has been stellar. 14hrs on today, wirh 1.5 hrs screen on, all day at work with wifi on, a 1 hr run with GPS on and tracking with Google Tracks, 1/2 hr wifi tether to work on my tablet, and I'm at 47℅. That would've killed my battery on stock... probably before the tether (though of course I didn't
have tether to try). And some nice things w Beans are that it's debloated, comes with wifitether, a wifi toggle, a brightness slider, and 50gb drop box (I actually loaded it for the dropbox -- thinking I'd immediately move on to CMod 10 -- but like it so much that I'll keep it until the JB ROMs give decent battery life)

pretty simple to load and use, since it's Touchwiz based. Just follow the pinned directions, and make sure you do a nandroid backup of your phone's current state, a backup of your apps to restore in the new rom, and an imei backup to be safe.

Last edited:

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I am rooted and running the stock rooted touchwiz rom. My bootloader is still locked. I would like to add Google now. What is the easiest way to do it. This is my first go round with rooting.

The only things I have done is install titanium backup and freeze bloat. I also backed up my apps. Also installed rom manager and loaded cwm recovery. I haven't done anything else with cwm.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Install the 'JuiceDefender - battery saver' app to extend the battery life of your device.

Since when did this thing become a root app?

After you've rooted and have no idea what to do next just install AdFree so you don't feel like you've wasted your time and research ROMs. Eventually you'll develop a flashing addiction and will be removing devices from your Google Play Music account weekly.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
When I was on the stock rom after I rooted the first thing I did was read up on what bloatware I could freeze. I used Titanium Backup Pro for that.
I also use Root Explorer to silence my camera shutter sound by renaming it.
As well as using AdFree,Root Call Blocker,StickMount,Terminal Emulator,SQLite Editor for various things.
I also used an app called AnyCut but forgot if you had to be rooted to use that app or not.
I havent had to tweak my kernal any since I always got what I feel is to be great battery life on the S3 (30hrs avg)
I am on a Custom Rom now so dont have to freeze bloatware anymore :)

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My advice is to read as much as possible about rooting, roms, and all the endless possibilities that are before you now. Read, read, read, and when you get tired of reading, READ SOME MORE. There's always something new to learn when it comes to this. I've only been rooted and trying custom ROMs for a few weeks now but it seems like years ago that I had just a stock phone, and there is STILL so much to learn. Just don't do anything your not sure about. If your hesitant about something then search for it on Google, XDA, or here, and if that fails, post a topic. Everyone around Android Central is super helpful and friendly (can't say the same for XDA), and there's a wealth of knowledge to be found on both forums.
I would suggest getting ROM manager and flashing custom recovery. Then you are open to do anything you want. Once you have custom recovery use the "backup/restore" option and take a Nandroid backup. I would suggest doing that before flashing anything. A nandroid backup basically takes a snapshot of everything on your phone at that time. That includes apps, contacts, messages, data, whatever ROM/kernel your running at that time, EVERYTHING. That way if you mess up flashing something, all you have to do is boot into recovery and restore your backup. I've heard several people refer to it as a "checkpoint save" and it couldn't be more true. As long as you do a Nandroid backup first, if you flash a ROM and don't like it, all you have to do is restore that backup. It really is as simple as it sounds. It's saved me a few times already.
Like I said, do as much reading and research as you can. Knowledge really is power.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
And, of course, if you do a nandroid backup after you flash a ROM and have it working well, then you can go back to that backup if things go wrong (as they can do sometimes in ROM-land *smile*). I'm really glad I did that after flashing CleanROM 6 r2, since I screwed up some stuff after that, and just restored from the early working CleanROM backup that I had made. Simple and easy, no sweat.