Stock rooted and debloated, or AOSP ROM?

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Just got an SGS3 to replace my frustrating TBolt. I've rooted, unlocked, and have started freezing the cruft with Ti Backup. It seems pretty fast as it is. I use Widget Locker for the lock screen and Swipepad for quick launching. I've been playing with Nova Launcher to see how quick it is.

With all the bloat frozen, would stock stil be significantly slower than an AOSP ROM? Although custom ROMs are fairly stable, there are still issues that interfere with daily driving (BT, camera, dropped signals). If there's not much speed difference, I figure I may as well stay on stock.

The JB ROMs (CM10, AOKP) are likely faster because of Butter. But the signal issues worry me, especially since I don't get good reception on my commute or at work. I don't mind waiting a little for the devs to tweak a JB leak (or the Sprint JB OTA) and make a more stable AOSP ROM.

Any thoughts?

xxdisciplexx

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I finally rooted this morning and installed AOKP build 5. After having jelly bean on my Galaxy Nexus I knew that it was fast. For some reason it's just blazing on my GS 3. Very stable and no bugs that I have found. Give it a try. And as far as signal issues go I haven't had a problem but then again I live in the DC area

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just got an SGS3 to replace my frustrating TBolt. I've rooted, unlocked, and have started freezing the cruft with Ti Backup. It seems pretty fast as it is. I use Widget Locker for the lock screen and Swipepad for quick launching. I've been playing with Nova Launcher to see how quick it is.

With all the bloat frozen, would stock stil be significantly slower than an AOSP ROM? Although custom ROMs are fairly stable, there are still issues that interfere with daily driving (BT, camera, dropped signals). If there's not much speed difference, I figure I may as well stay on stock.

The JB ROMs (CM10, AOKP) are likely faster because of Butter. But the signal issues worry me, especially since I don't get good reception on my commute or at work. I don't mind waiting a little for the devs to tweak a JB leak (or the Sprint JB OTA) and make a more stable AOSP ROM.

Any thoughts?

Signal drop is not a huge issue anymore....what you will have issues with is having crackling loud or quiet volume during calls which sucks. There are touchwiz based jellybean ROMs that are supposedly more stable then the aosp ROMs which would give you project butter and Google now etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
New AOSP ROMs haven't had the signal drop issues nearly as bad as in the past. I experienced no issues on B4 of AOKP. AOSP is always the way to go if you ask me and the best one of them all is AOKP.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
It's a matter of preference. If you like any of the little apps that come with TouchWiz, then you may want to stay with stock-based.

I'm running Paranoid Android and it is fast and stable, love the theming options and that there are easy to use inverted Gapps packages available. MUCH quicker than anything stock-based and about half the size, even with the Gapps. I prefer the AOSP flavor because it doesn't have all the silly crap and is crazy customizable; installing this does all of the debloating for you.

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanx for all of the responses. I understand all the praise for AOSP; I went that route with the TBolt. However, I still wonder:

Has anyone compared stock debloated to AOSP?

In other words, is the speed difference just in the apps? Or does Samsung add enough to the OS code to slow the OS itself down?
Any residual issues with GPS, NFS, call volume, etc?
Aside from the phablet motif, any reason to pick Paranoid over AOKP? (e.g. more/less stable)

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to see anyone prove that AOSP is actually faster than stock TW on this phone. What are we talking about - multitasking, launching apps, browser, launcher? All of these work just as fast on TW. If there is actually a speed difference, it should be easy enough to see on video.

kismet769

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Since getting my S3 I've flashed: Beans, Synergy, AOKP, Liquid, and a couple others that I don't remember. I always end up going back to Synergy. There are enough customizations to keep me satisfied and it's extremely stable. Toggles in the status bar are even customizable.

I've found very little difference between AOSP and TW based ROMs as far as speed goes. I like some of the features that Samsung included on the S3 and that's why in keep going back to Synergy. If I didn't run Synergy I'd be running Liquid.

SwiftKeyed from my GS3.

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Any thoughts on CleanROM vs Synergy vs Beans?

The threads are 100s of pages long, so it's hard to see what issues these ROMs have. Synergy's out of development. CleanROM looks interesting, based on VRALHE and having Aroma.

kismet769

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

The threads are 100s of pages long, so it's hard to see what issues these ROMs have. Synergy's out of development. CleanROM looks interesting, based on VRALHE and having Aroma.

I've never tried CleanROM. I think the devs for Synergy are working on a JB based ROM now. Their last build, r77, came out a couple weeks ago. I'm still on r73 which seems to be the most stable and least buggy.

Beans was the first ROM I flashed and loved it. The last time I ran it though I had some issues with apps force closing on me and went back to Synergy.

SwiftKeyed from my GS3.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

Some people swear by it but I find it rather buggy. I've had frequent freezes and data drops with several builds of it.

I tend to avoid modified TouchWiz ROMs, the way I look at it Samsung invested a lot of money into perfecting their interface, so it's usually more stable directly from the source than after being tampered with by 4-5 independent devs. I don't want their work to go unappreciated, and I'm glad it works for others, but when I use a custom ROM I prefer it to be built from the ground up like most AOSP or AOKP ROMs.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12