Noob ROM question.

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
New to android and rooting. Been jail breaking Iphone since 3g. Rooting is much more confusing so far haha. Anyway i rooted, unlocked and flash my gs3.applied cyanogen mod cm10(jelly bean 4.1.2).like I said I'm new to all this so I apologize for the ignorance. But I notice the gestures menu is gone. Like to turn on smart stay and other mostly gimmicky but sweet options. Also the option to clear room on ram is gone. These could be things I'm just not seeing of course. Where they be? Thanks again to all you veterans of Android.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
New to android and rooting. Been jail breaking Iphone since 3g. Rooting is much more confusing so far haha. Anyway i rooted, unlocked and flash my gs3.applied cyanogen mod cm10(jelly bean 4.1.2).like I said I'm new to all this so I apologize for the ignorance. But I notice the gestures menu is gone. Like to turn on smart stay and other mostly gimmicky but sweet options. Also the option to clear room on ram is gone. These could be things I'm just not seeing of course. Where they be? Thanks again to all you veterans of Android.

CM10 is an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) based ROM. In other words, it's vanilla, bare-bones Android, much like what you'd get with a Nexus device. Some folks prefer this for it's simplicity; however most the features you mention are specific Samsung features, included with TouchWiz (often abbreviated "TW"), Samsung's proprietary Android launcher.

If you want all the features you mention, I highly recommend a TW-based ROM, over an AOSP one. These are ROMs based off of the official Verizon Samsung S3 firmware.

I'm running CleanROM 4.5 and LOVE it. It's already been updated to JellyBean, and it's pretty close to stock S3 OS, but with some obvious improvements. If you're new to Android and rooting and ROM'ing and such, this is a great stable TW-based ROM to test out.

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Oooh ok. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for taking time to explain and educate me. That's a lot of acronyms to remember haha.

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
One more question good sir.I installed the recomended rom but I see its the camera and lockscreen from ICS?

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
One more question good sir.I installed the recomended rom but I see its the camera and lockscreen from ICS?

The camera and lock screen did not change from ICS to jellybean on touchwiz based ROMs

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If you want an updated camera, Synergy ROM is a TW-based JB ROM with some nice cameras on it. It's very stable, is being continually updated and it has two camera apps. One is the stock camera while the other is the Note2 camera that's been ported over to the S3. I really like this ROM and have been running it since ICS. Now that it's gone to JB, it's become even better.

For TW ROMS, I think CleanROM and Synergy are on the top of the heap. You can't go wrong with either one. It's just a matter of whether you like a Ford or Chevy better. Both will get you where you're going. It's just the styles that are a little different.

Here are the Synergy ROM links at xda and the ROM download site. As of this post, the latest Synergy JB version is 118.

☆ ★ | ROM | SynergyROM VZW S3 | JELLY BEAN 4.1.1 | Fully Optimized | NIGHTLIES |★ ☆ - xda-developers

Samsung Galaxy S 3 ? Team_Synergy | Android File Host