Question reg: update after rooting

SDQB17

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Just got my my S3..would like to Root it at the very least, even if I don't Rom it yet, just would like to know if I have it rooted...will I still get the JB update ( or any other updates for that matter) when Verizon decides to release it?

Unfamiliar with this because my D2 was so old it never got any updates after GB lol:p So I just kept cm7 on it

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Just got my my S3..would like to Root it at the very least, even if I don't Rom it yet, just would like to know if I have it rooted...will I still get the JB update ( or any other updates for that matter) when Verizon decides to release it?

Unfamiliar with this because my D2 was so old it never got any updates after GB lol:p So I just kept cm7 on it

The short answer is: Maybe.

The longer answer is: You may get the update, but you probably shouldn't install it.

Assuming the ONLY thing you did was gain root, and did not install a custom recovery and/or remove any bloatware, then you'd probably be OK to take an OTA update. If, however, you have modified the system enough, you may actually run a risk of bricking your phone if you try to install an update. There are varying opinions out there on this -- some have had success doing it, but I've read plenty of post from folks who got their devices stuck unable to boot after attempting an OTA on a rooted phone. At the very least, you also run a risk of losing root and not being able to get it back.

If you're running a custom ROM, you most likely won't even get prompted to for updates, but if you're running stock OS, you *may* want to BLOCK updates just to make sure you don't get it.

Fact is, any time an update is released, it's usually quite easy to find a rooted, flashable version of it over at Rootzwiki or XDA. Installing ROMs isn't not very difficult (there are guides posted all over the place on how to do it); and frankly, you'll actually get a much cleaner, less-prone-to-bugs install by doing a clean install of a ROM than you would doing a factory OTA update*.

There are literally a TON of advantages to rooting, and I couldn't image not doing it...but the one piece of advice I always give is that you should be prepared to manage your own OS updates once you commit to it if you really want best experience. If that really does seem like too much to handle and you REALLY want to just take the OTA update when it comes out, I'd recommend following the unroot instructions to get your phone all the way back to stock first before doing it.

*assuming you don't do a factory reset first...which probably 99% of folks don't do.

EDIT: See here on blocking OTA updates:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...k-verizon-otas-post-bootloader-rom-flash.html

SDQB17

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Outstanding answer, and thank you. You also answered what my next question was going to be...by providing the link on how to block the OTA's :) thanks again...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2