ODIN Question

SDQB17

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I have what is probably a very dumb question, but I will ask nevertheless as I do not want to screw anything up rooting my S3 :) The last thing I rooted and flashed was my D2 and that was trivial. I was reading the thread on rooting the S3 ([GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean OTA ***UPDATED*** - xda-developers ) and it asks you to download ODIN to you PC. It then asks you to boot your phone into ODIN mode. Yet they never mention downloading it to your phone in the first place...is there a version I am supposed to DL for my phone or is this something made by Samsung that is already there? Again, excuse my ignorance regarding ODIN...I had never heard of it until I started searching around to root my new S3.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
There is two versions of Odin.

1. Is the desktop version of Odin which we are all used to.

2. There is Mobile Odin which is newer in the last year or so...

Two my knowledge to initially root your device using Odin you have to use the desktop version. Afterwards if the device supports it, many use Mobile Odin then to continue their flashing duties.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have what is probably a very dumb question, but I will ask nevertheless as I do not want to screw anything up rooting my S3 :) The last thing I rooted and flashed was my D2 and that was trivial. I was reading the thread on rooting the S3 ([GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean OTA ***UPDATED*** - xda-developers ) and it asks you to download ODIN to you PC. It then asks you to boot your phone into ODIN mode. Yet they never mention downloading it to your phone in the first place...is there a version I am supposed to DL for my phone or is this something made by Samsung that is already there? Again, excuse my ignorance regarding ODIN...I had never heard of it until I started searching around to root my new S3.

For the sake of my comment, let's just forget about "mobile ODIN" for the moment...because I don't believe that's where your confusion is...

ODIN is a desktop application, it runs from your PC. To boot your phone into "ODIN mode" (a.k.a "download mode"), power the device down, then restart while holding the Vol- and home buttons. once booted, press Vol+ to enter download mode.

Last edited:

SDQB17

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I knew about the mobile app, but the thread did not specify downloading that, which is why I was confused / curious if booting into "ODIN mode" is only possible via usb while running it on the PC, or if that mode is something already on the phone. Did not want to get into the process and find out there was something else that was needed :) I like to go over these things in my head so that I know the process by heart before I do it...lol...yeah..i'm weird :)

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I knew about the mobile app, but the thread did not specify downloading that, which is why I was confused / curious if booting into "ODIN mode" is only possible via usb while running it on the PC, or if that mode is something already on the phone. Did not want to get into the process and find out there was something else that was needed :) I like to go over these things in my head so that I know the process by heart before I do it...lol...yeah..i'm weird :)

That's not weird...that's how folks should do it.

Arthur Chipouras

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I very new at this so I have many questions . In the are that says images to download(boot, phone, PDA, etc. ) what is supposed to be put there ?

Last edited:

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol