This is frustrating to say the least. ive been trying too root my phone for 3 days and it wont work. im using the GSIII root toolkit w/odin ( [SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 UNIFIED TOOLKIT V7.0] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery + MORE [GSM] - xda-developers ) and it is simple to use but when i get to the section where i flash i=the insecure recovery, it fails immediately! Any suggestions? ive tried uninstalling everything and resetting the phone and nothing works. ive never had this much trouble rooting a phone... EVER
    03-16-2013 01:04 AM
    Just tried the "Rootfs) thats stickied in the main root thread, didnt work either. Android life is pointless without root and this is really pissing me off.
    blastoff37 likes this.
    03-16-2013 11:33 AM
    Yeah i have been trying also...lol....Just cant find nothing that works.....This sucks that link for tool kit doesnt even work.. Do you have that tool kit?
    03-16-2013 07:15 PM
    Try this next: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2046439

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    03-16-2013 11:51 PM
    Ya but it doesn't work. I can try to repost the link layer of you want
    03-17-2013 12:42 AM
    I downloaded the files they r all zip format. Do I unzip or just stick in odin ???
    When unzip I don't see .tar.. I rooted my samsung s3 4.1.1 about 5 months ago. I know this works. With update 4.1.2 s3 failed every atempt.. flashed stock and got update.. having a hard time rooting.. please help master mod.. lol

03-17-2013 10:07 AM
    Didn't know that you can put zip files in odin. The vids show files going in odin....Samsung s3 4.1.2. Rooted Now...Yeahh

03-17-2013 04:00 PM
    Just follow the xda-developers instructions for rooting the S3. I've used them twice now (4.1.1 and 4.1.2), and they work. You just have to be careful with Odin and your custom recovery that you're flashing the right type of files with each one. You don't unzip anything, you just leave stuff the way that it was when you downloaded it and use the right tool for flashing that particular object. There's links and instructions for everything you need to do:

[GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 OTA ***UPDATED 3/5*** - xda-developers
    03-18-2013 03:19 AM
    Just follow the xda-developers instructions for rooting the S3. I've used them twice now (4.1.1 and 4.1.2), and they work. You just have to be careful with Odin and your custom recovery that you're flashing the right type of files with each one. You don't unzip anything, you just leave stuff the way that it was when you downloaded it and use the right tool for flashing that particular object. There's links and instructions for everything you need to do:

[GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 OTA ***UPDATED 3/5*** - xda-developers
    Im part way through this and i realized the instructions are half assed and not very specific at all. in what section (CSC/PDA/PHONE/ETC...) do i flash the cwm recovery in because i cant find it ANYHERE in the instructions provided or in the ODIN guide. i tried it in csc and it failed then i tried in phone and now odin is frozen...
    03-24-2013 11:07 AM
    so after some time on the google machine, i found that you place the recovery in the "PDA" box, so i did just that. It FAILED yet again. am i missing something? Did the instructions skip something. i flashed the bootloader and that worked fine.
    03-24-2013 11:51 AM
    This guide helped me when getting used to Odin.Galaxy S3 Odin Flash Guide by Intratech It's in the XDA link you posted above. The other thing to check is if you used the CWM or TWRP recovery. May provide another data point on the recovery flash failure.

Just thought of this as something that may work. If your confident that the boot loader is now unlocked then you could try installing ROM Manager from the Play Store. ROM Manager has a feature that looks like it will install the CWM Recovery from within the ROM Manager app. I installed CWM via Odin, so can't 100% personally validate this option, but may be worth a try.
    03-24-2013 02:36 PM
    ok so i went through and used the TWRP recovery for trial purpose and it also FAILS... it acts like everything is fine and it runs through then it speeds up on the progress bar and then fails. i just rooted my nexus 7 20 minutes ago and didnt have any troubles whatsoever...
    03-24-2013 05:34 PM
    ok now its making all startup sounds and the blue LED lights up but nothing happens on the screen, no animations nothing... and the blue light just stays lit. this is such s**t
    03-24-2013 06:05 PM
    I can enter what i assume to be the "stock" recovery mode... any suggestions on fixing this one?
    03-24-2013 06:09 PM
    May want to try this http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...e-10-23-a.html
    This is a bit old but may help Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 (Sprint): Installing ClockworkMod Recovery - Android Authority
    Were you able to try the ROM Manager option to install CWM?
    03-24-2013 08:18 PM
    May want to try this http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...e-10-23-a.html
    This is a bit old but may help Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 (Sprint): Installing ClockworkMod Recovery - Android Authority
    Were you able to try the ROM Manager option to install CWM?
    i reset to factory (Rom manager workaround didnt work without root) but the factory install i did put me at 4.0.4... which made things a lot easier. i then used this method ([GUIDE] For beginners - Root Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-i535/d2vzw - xda-developers) and everything went smooth as butter. this is now my go to solution. convert to older version of OS then hack haha thanks for the help "dog"! haha see what i did there?
    blastoff37 likes this.
    03-24-2013 09:25 PM
    Nice, I see that Glad you got the phone to a usable state.
    03-25-2013 12:49 PM
    Ok I'm not gonna lie I didn't read like half of the posts here but this is what I followed to root my S3

[GUIDE] Jelly Bean Factory Images ***UPDATED 02/06/13*** - xda-developers

When you download the files, do NOT unzip them. Leave them all as they are downloaded.

When it comes to Odin, just put the files in the PDA section - leave the other ones alone. Make sure to follow all the steps in the Odin guide and follow the guide on XDA-developers exactly.

I did an OTA update and it locked my bootloader, so I had to use EZ-unlock to unlock my bootloader so I could reflash my custom recovery using ROM toolbox. I know, some of the things I did might be redundant but it worked for me.
    04-09-2013 06:17 AM