How are the Aosp roms?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok so recently got my s3,and finally unlocked it last night. Right now I am on cleanrom because Scotts stuff is always awesome.

My question is generally what is the state of Aosp on the vzw s3 and what roms do you recommend? On every device I have owned Aosp has always had something wrong with it. Usually related to the ril. Is there anything not working on the s3 roms? Is there anything bad or finicky like call quality or bluetooth or data? I am wanting experiment and see if I like it better than touchwiz

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I enjoyed this [ROM][AOSP][GCC 4.7/-O3] CarbonRom 1.6 JB 4.2.2 [d2vzw] ? Mar 29
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2136840
(it's probably been bumped in version since I last checked in - I only stopped using it because it seemed like so many people are looking for help with the stock ROM and I just couldn't remember what was what WRT menu selections, features, etc.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Come on in, the water's fine!

+1 for CarbonROM; lastest is v1.6.1.

Something to keep in mind: There is/was some bugginess with some of the 3.4 kernels, so 3.0 is considered the stablest right now. CarbonROM stable goes out with 3.0; some of the other AOSP ROMs are built with a 3.4. I understand that these kinks are quickly being worked out, but something to keep in mind.

kismet769

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
In the last two weeks I've been on Liquid, Carbon, AOKP, Baked, and finally Slim.

I'd have to say the latest Slim is by far my favorite. The dev has great support and tackles issues quickly. It's also the most stable ROM I've ran in a long time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rodawg71

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Carbon release 1.7 Stable (3.4 kernel) Been running it since release (yesterday) and it's nice and smooth...no flickering or reboots so far.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In the last two weeks I've been on Liquid, Carbon, AOKP, Baked, and finally Slim.

I'd have to say the latest Slim is by far my favorite. The dev has great support and tackles issues quickly. It's also the most stable ROM I've ran in a long time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I have to agree with this sentiment. Slim bean is by far the most stable AOSP based rom I ever tried. It was smooth, stable, and had great battery life. The only thing I didn't like about it was how small the icons were on the screen, and you couldn't really resize them to normal size. That was my only gripe. Otherwise it was a surprisingly great rom. It deserves more credit than it gets.
Ultimately though, I prefer Touchwiz roms.

Sent from my MOAR'd Galaxy S3 via tapatalk 2

godsidekurt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Carbon sounds cool...how's the signal strength? When I tried CM awhile back I got less signal with it than on Cleanrom...isn't ur based on CM?

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I noticed no difference in signal strength when I was on Carbon vs. stock.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

JustSomeDudeHere

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with this sentiment. Slim bean is by far the most stable AOSP based rom I ever tried. It was smooth, stable, and had great battery life. The only thing I didn't like about it was how small the icons were on the screen, and you couldn't really resize them to normal size. That was my only gripe. Otherwise it was a surprisingly great rom. It deserves more credit than it gets.
Ultimately though, I prefer Touchwiz roms.

FYI, the tiny icons are because of the DPI settings (dots/pixels per inch). Slim defaults to 245, which makes everything look really crisp, but tiny. I changed it to 300. (Instructions here).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781