Rooting on Android 4.1.2

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Just tested Bluetooth. Connected to my jabra Bluetooth headset. I guess it will connect to my car. We will see how the camera and random reboots go.

Sent from my rooted Verizon Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So I've tried carbon ROM and it random reboots. I tried cm 10.1 and it freezes and reboots when I use the camera for video.

Is there a stable 4.2.2 JB ROM available that won't give me these issues?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah man. Liquid smooth 2.2. It's about the most stable 4.2 rom I've tried. And it has alot of features.
Like i said, aosp roms are cool and all but they just aren't made for the Galaxy s3. Your always going to have something that doesn't work. At least in my opinion.
Liquid smooth was by far the most stable one I tried though. Very fast, very stable. Just make sure you download the right set of Gapps for it.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a link to the ROM by any chance?

Yeah man, sorry. [ROM][4.2.2][OFFICIAL] LiquidSmooth v2.3 - d2vzw|d2usc - 05|04|13 - xda-developers
You can also download the app called goomanager. Its a free app from the play store. It is basically a free rom downloading app. It will automatically detect your phone and download the right versions of the rom and Gapps for you. It's a good app, I just don't use it because it's mainly for downloading aosp roms.

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded and installed liquid today. I like it but the issue with this one is there is an echo when using speaker phone. Not too big of a deal at the moment. I tested video and it didn't freeze or reboot on me. I also downloaded the goo app. It should come in handy. Thanks for the advice. I may have additional questions. I really appreciate all of your help as well as all of other members and developers. You guys are great!

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No problem, I'm happy to help. Any day I can sound like an expert is a good day. Lol.
It's just I went through all this just a few months ago and I thought I'd share my experiences so you don't have to make the same mistakes as me. Though, half the time those mistakes are where all the learning happens.

Fields3212

May 9, 2013
Visit site
So I am new to android but I have to say I love it and my s3. I've had my phone for a couple months now and I've been reading about and customizing my phone as much as possible with out rooting it. Anyways, I've been doing a great deal of reading on how to root/unlock bootloader/flash roms and I was just wondering is there a way to root without a pc? I'm pc less as of right now and I was wondering if there is a way to root without a pc, just by using the phone and an sd card?

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So I am new to android but I have to say I love it and my s3. I've had my phone for a couple months now and I've been reading about and customizing my phone as much as possible with out rooting it. Anyways, I've been doing a great deal of reading on how to root/unlock bootloader/flash roms and I was just wondering is there a way to root without a pc? I'm pc less as of right now and I was wondering if there is a way to root without a pc, just by using the phone and an sd card?
Not for the Verizon Galaxy s3 as far as I know. When my windows computer was out of commission I tried finding a way and couldn't. The only way to install the Superuser file is from a custom recovery and the only way you can get custom recovery if your not already rooted is from flashing with your computer. Verizon packed the bootloader on ours so it makes it especially difficult. You need a computer. If you can get access to a computer for a little bit all you really need to do is download some files the Odin program for windows, and flash them. It's actually alot easier than it sounds once you've done it. The process takes literally five minutes once you have all the necessary files.

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So I'm currently using liquid smooth 2.3 and battery is getting eaten up quickly even on idle. Is there a different kernel and are there flashing instructions and config details for it? Just wondering.

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I just tried to use the video player on liquid smooth and it keeps rebooting my phone. Why are there so many ROMs with issues?!??

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's just the AOSP roms mostly. All the TW roms I've tried had very few if any issues. Like i said, AOSP roms are adapted to work on Galaxy S3s, they aren't made for them like touchwiz roms. Touchwiz roms are basically the stock rom modified with tons of added features and root access, that's why they work so well. If you really like the look of AOSP but want everything to work and the functionality of TW try Jelly beans ROM build 15.
Another thing is, are you completely wiping your phone before installing the roms? Or are you just wiping the caches? If you want a clean install and no bugs you should ALWAYS do a full factory reset and wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing. That eliminates most problems. Now I know it's a pain having to re download your apps and set everything up again but it's worth it.
There are apps like Titanium backup and Carbon that save your apps to your ext SD card and they restore them completely and faster than the play store. I would recommend titanium backup pro. That's what I use and it takes me about 10 minutes to ha e my phone fully setup after wiping and flashing.

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea. I am doing a factory reset as well as wiping cache. I do use titanium backup pro and love it. I like the look for the aosp ROMs since they don't have as much of the stock software in them. I like minimal to save on battery. I would like to see if there is a different kernel to use too. Battery life is up and down with the ROMs I've used so far.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yea. I am doing a factory reset as well as wiping cache. I do use titanium backup pro and love it. I like the look for the aosp ROMs since they don't have as much of the stock software in them. I like minimal to save on battery. I would like to see if there is a different kernel to use too. Battery life is up and down with the ROMs I've used so far.

Yeah, it kinda sounds like just standard AOSP problems to me. There's always something that isn't working. Sometimes it helps to just dirty flash the rom again if your having problems. That helps me alot. Also, have you tried fixing permissions from recovery? That helps with alot of force close issues as well.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's really simple. If your using Clockworkmod then you just boot into recovery, go to advanced, then "fix permissions" wouldn't hurt to wipe cache and dalvik real quick too. Sometimes it may take 10 minutes or so to fix permissions so don't sweat it, just let it do its thing. You can't hurt anything doing that so don't worry about that. It may help, it may not. Android is heavily permissions based so sometimes an app may force close if permissions didn't properly get set during a flash.

Sent from my MOAR'D Galaxy S3 via tapatalk 2

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I tried using cwm to change permissions. It didn't work for that app. I also tried an upgrade to liquid smooth 2.4 and that one was worse. I have mostly everything working now and I'm happy with liquid smooth 2.3. I did try jelly beans and didn't like it. It was too much touchwiz even with the ability to choose what got installed. I did like the ability to choose the kernel though. So I've now eliminated cm10.1, carbon and jelly beans. I'm thinking of trying miui or moar. What are the good points of moar though? What other good and stable ROMs are available now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12