From CM10.1 to Touchwiz. What do you think?

Droid Brick

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Every phone I've gotten I have installed some form of CyanogenMod on it. Now that I've got an S3, I figured I'd give Touchwiz a try. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Has anyone tried to venture away from CM but went back? What are some of the perks of Touchwiz? Can I just install some of the apks I like (s voice, etc) on cm10.1?

Posted via Android Central App

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I've tried out CM, AOKP and a couple of other AOSP ROM's, but have always gone back to TW. reason being, I use Nova Launcher in either case and it really doesn't look much difference other than the lock screen and the settings menus. TW also has the advantage of having the nicer software like the camera software is nicer on TW. obviously, all the other samsung apps only work on TW, like svoice, altho I rarely if ever use it. I've also noticed I've had better signal on TW and my speedtest speeds were much faster. battery life seemed to be slightly better on CM10 tho, and it was definitely faster on the start up.

asteinmetz54

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I am so indecisive when it comes between choosing aosp and touchwiz. I always venture back to aokp cause I love the customization and navigation bar, but you don't get to use all the features the phone has. So I go back to touchwiz. So it depends if you want the Google experience and losing features of the phone go aosp. Some of the features that bring me back to touchwiz are the camera app cause I think it's a lot better than aosp, car mode cause I use the dock, and overall stability. Plus I would recommend clean Rom 7 cause it is the most stbike with all Verizon crap ripped out.

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I tried cm on my epic but missed tw so I went back just in a deodexed rom. I love tw and I know many hate it with a passion but I don't. I do wanna try vanilla android so I might get a hisense sero 7 pro since they lowered the price.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using AC Forums mobile app

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I tried CM 10.1.2 and while it performed well, I just found it too be a bit too plain, almost to the point of appearing amateurish. That's not a reflection of the CM team, but more a statement of how plain Vanilla Android is. So I started looking at TouchWiz based ROMs because I found I really like S Calendar and its on-screen notifications.

My first try was CleanROM 7, which seemed pretty good. The battery life was not quite what I was looking for, but rather than trying a different kernel I tried a different ROM. I switched to Synergy and switched again in a matter of minutes because I didn't like how much TouchWiz it retained. Right now I'm running Jelly Beans r18 and it seems to be going quite well. I like how it has a mixture of TouchWiz and plain Vanilla options, with a few other options thrown in. If I get tired of Jelly Beans, I'll go back to CleanROM 7 and tinker with it some more, changing and tuning a different kernel and such. And the best think about each of these three TouchWiz based ROMs is how you can tailor its options as you flash it; I believe that really lets you customize your phone without having to put too much work into it. It's also nice that the included launchers, file managers and such are all the same versions available in the Play Store, unlike the old days when CM was running a bastardized version of ADW you could never truly update.

The route you take is dependent upon whether you want a truer Vanilla experience or some polish in your ROM.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently running cyanogenmod with kernel+ and it's amazing. I hate touch wiz, it looks like junk and it's so clogged with bloatware it's insane. Cyanogenmod, man have they nailed it. I used to be hugely invested in iPhones, but cyanogenmod takes the cake. They are the reason I love android. I will NEVER go back to touchwiz even if Samsung pays me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Are there any issues moving from tw to aosp and then back? Isn't there a folder issue? What is the best way to handle?

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I remember synergy corrupting my data folder and I had to do a complete wipe before I got back to cyanogenmod, so yeah there is some little problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Are there any issues moving from tw to aosp and then back? Isn't there a folder issue? What is the best way to handle?

yes, there is a folder issue. for AOSP, it puts all your data into a folder on your SD card named "0" and then pretty much ignores everything else above that directory. you can still get to the SDcard main folder by going to /data/media in root explorer. I've usually just moved a few folders between 0 and the root directory when I switch back and forth from AOSP to TW like DCIM and titaniumbackup. it's not a huge deal.

nycdave

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
im so happy you started this thread. I just got the s4 2 days ago and where normally I would have just ripped out tw in exchange for cyanogenmod I am giving tw and honest bout. I did root the phone and dump a lot of bloatware but the one thing I just hate with a passion on tw is the fact that there are not tweaks for the homescreens. no way to add rows and columns. no way to remove the icon names. so I am stuck with only a few icons worth of space on my homescreen. the thing is that I love the s calendar and since there is no way to port it over to cm i am stuck with either 3rd party sh1t calendars or google calendar which I love but no month view in the widget. im truly torn here. I will admit that i dont know any of the tw based roms or any other rom for that matter besides cm. I have always been pretty loyal to them and the few other roms that i have tooled with i have run into bad luck. so the bottom line is that i wanna love tw but there are so many things that i need with cm. btw. i know this is an s3 thread but the topic is the same for me with the s4. thanks everyone

Heavy Fluid

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
im so happy you started this thread. I just got the s4 2 days ago and where normally I would have just ripped out tw in exchange for cyanogenmod I am giving tw and honest bout. I did root the phone and dump a lot of bloatware but the one thing I just hate with a passion on tw is the fact that there are not tweaks for the homescreens. no way to add rows and columns. no way to remove the icon names. so I am stuck with only a few icons worth of space on my homescreen. the thing is that I love the s calendar and since there is no way to port it over to cm i am stuck with either 3rd party sh1t calendars or google calendar which I love but no month view in the widget. im truly torn here. I will admit that i dont know any of the tw based roms or any other rom for that matter besides cm. I have always been pretty loyal to them and the few other roms that i have tooled with i have run into bad luck. so the bottom line is that i wanna love tw but there are so many things that i need with cm. btw. i know this is an s3 thread but the topic is the same for me with the s4. thanks everyone

Apex Launcher fixed this for me. Removed icon names, created a scrolling dock, and I have the option to change icon spacing, like 6 across instead of 5.

mash4077fan

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I run the Wicked Sensations rom on my sprint gs3 and it runs perfect. When I had my epic 4g I tried cm9 for the first time and I did enjoy it but I did not like the fact you could not update profile or prl without having to use a work a round and I did not care for that and I did not like installing gapps each time. It felt to unofficial. I have not tried the latest stable build for cm10. Can anyone tell me if you can update prl or profile now and also how stable is it.

gozi323

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site

I have a GS4 too and have not tried any ROMs before. I do want to try and install a ROM because I really hate having bloatware coming from an iPhone. I do like tw but then again I have not tried anything else before. I actually hate the stock calendar. You should try acalendar+ it's my favorite calendar. The stock calendar is very ugly to me. I'm still trying to decide whether to flash my phone or not. Hard choice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800