Verizon S3 to Straight Talk

kenny Lee1

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I tried all of these steps even with the error message at the bottom of the thread but my phone doesn't have service when I switch it to GSM/UMTS what do I do next?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Any details on how he did this? I know 4 family members interested in this right now!

You need to read this thread from the beginning so you can get your answer.
There are a couple of people that got their phone working with the method described here.
Good luck!

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

katnorris31

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 that I bought the T Mobile straight talk sim card for and I was having soooo many problems trying to send and receive mms. I just now saw your post and tried it and IT WORKED!!! Finally! Thank you so much!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 that I bought the T Mobile straight talk sim card for and I was having soooo many problems trying to send and receive mms. I just now saw your post and tried it and IT WORKED!!! Finally! Thank you so much!

Welcome to the forums!
Glad it worked for you. 😃

Shy Monroe

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I just recently switch my Verizon Galaxy S III to Straight Talk using the BYOP Kit but my internet and mms does not work at all any suggestions my apn settings does not come up...Help!!!

Posted via Android Central App

Lorra Gardner

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
My verizon S3 i535 is not getting data. Have tried the main APN for Straightalk with no luck, need help. Please... APN tfdata Port 80 doesn't work for my phone.

Lori Vogel

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok. so I am not sure if you still look at this forum but I have read all the threads and I want to see if you can help with my situation...I am switching phones from a Iphone 4 to a S3 i535...I got my activation kit and went through all the steps to activate my phone...i was on the automated line and it said enter your new sim card number..i did...then it said enter your old number...i did...then he said remove your old sim card from old phone and enter it into the new phone so i did....now i have service and can talk and text fine but when i go to APN settings I get nothing...I go to the menu and it gives me option to restore to default and I di but it still gives me nothing and when I hit menu again it gives me NO option to add a new APN...I called straight talk for some tech issues and was told that even though my IMEI number was compatible with ST that my phone could not function with some things...HERE is the kicker though she then proceeds to tell me that my number is activated on the new sim card and that the old sim card is deactivated and I told her that I could not use the new sim card because it would not give me service but the old one did she told me she didnt know how that was possible???? If you have any new ideas on this it would be greatly appreciated...Thanks so much!!!:'(

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
My verizon S3 i535 is not getting data. Have tried the main APN for Straightalk with no luck, need help. Please... APN tfdata Port 80 doesn't work for my phone.

Welcome to the forums.

Check if you get the E for Edge data. It's slower then 3G and many people are getting only that with their GS3.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I just recently switch my Verizon Galaxy S III to Straight Talk using the BYOP Kit but my internet and mms does not work at all any suggestions my apn settings does not come up...Help!!!

Posted via Android Central App

Hello Shy, welcome to AC!

Many people with that same phone are having the same issue but they got it solved using YouMail.

Before you download YouMail try this on your phone:

Go to
*Settings
*Call
*Voicemail settings
*Voicemail number
Here you need to edit the "Voicemail number" to your cell phone number.

After that, try it to see if it works.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok. so I am not sure if you still look at this forum but I have read all the threads and I want to see if you can help with my situation...I am switching phones from a Iphone 4 to a S3 i535...I got my activation kit and went through all the steps to activate my phone...i was on the automated line and it said enter your new sim card number..i did...then it said enter your old number...i did...then he said remove your old sim card from old phone and enter it into the new phone so i did....now i have service and can talk and text fine but when i go to APN settings I get nothing...I go to the menu and it gives me option to restore to default and I di but it still gives me nothing and when I hit menu again it gives me NO option to add a new APN...I called straight talk for some tech issues and was told that even though my IMEI number was compatible with ST that my phone could not function with some things...HERE is the kicker though she then proceeds to tell me that my number is activated on the new sim card and that the old sim card is deactivated and I told her that I could not use the new sim card because it would not give me service but the old one did she told me she didnt know how that was possible???? If you have any new ideas on this it would be greatly appreciated...Thanks so much!!!:'(
Hello Lori, welcome to the forums!
Have you tried the suggestion from jaytenberg?
Here you go so you can try it. 👇
If it is a Galaxy S3 with the model number SCH-i535 and it is running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 or higher, it requires no hacking or unlocking at all. All you need to do is get the right SIM card. In my case it was AT&T. If AT&T works in your area, just get that SIM card out of the package, go to stbyop.com and activate a monthly plan on that SIM card. Next, pop it into your phone and turn it on. After it is in your phone, go to settings, more settings, mobile networks, network mode, then select GSM/UMTS. You should now be able to use the phone.

The next thing would be to set the APN settings which is just as easy to do.

Go back one menu to mobile networks, then click on access point names. You should see LTE Verizon Internet. Hit the menu key to the right of your home button at the bottom of your screen this should allow you to add a new access point.

Put these settings in:

Name: STRAIGHT_TALK
APN: tfdata
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS port: 80

Restart the phone and turn your data on and you should be all set!

There is nothing that I cannot do on my phone now. The only thing is that the 3G is a little slow, but I mainly use Wi-Fi anyway.

Update: Successfully updated to 4.3 and all is well still. I just had to re-enter my details for GSM and APN settings. If anyone else wants to upgrade to 4.3, follow the steps here: http://true-android.blogspot.com/2014/01/install-vrucml1-android-43-jb-firmware.html

Lorra Gardner

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Running Jelly Bean 4.1.2, and have put in all correct APN settings for AT&T on Straightalk, phone still not receiving data and phone says it's roaming while on network...help, don't know what I'm doing wrong. Even re-rooted phone to see if that would fix problem, not.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz