Rooting and 4.3

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, this is my first post so I apologize in advance if I make a unforgivable forum faux pas. This seemed like the appropriate place to post my question.

So, I've had my stock Verizon S III for about a year and a half now. I've been wanting to root for a while even though I'm relatively happy with the phone as is. I'm a little apprehensive because I'm not too knowledgeable about Android although I know my way around a PC pretty well. Plus I've also heard about all these bad things that can happen if you f up the process and I can't afford to brick it. My questions:

1. Is rooting really that risky or difficult to do? I read somewhere that the I-535 model is a pain in the *** for some reason. Does rooting require I flash a ROM ? I'm happy with the way my phone looks and feels with Nova.
2. I'd like to update to 4.3 but I read on the Samsung web site that the upgrade requires that your phone not be rooted. Is there any way for them to verify that?
3. I've heard that KNOX is giving people who are rooted problems or that it's not possible to root after upgrading to 4.3. Can I root after the update or should I do it before?

I know it's a lot of questions so thanks for reading and I'd appreciate any help.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
even though I'm relatively happy with the phone as is.
If you're happy using just a 3rd party launcher I'd suggest sticking with that.
1. Is rooting really that risky or difficult to do?
If you're still on 4.1.2, no, it's relatively painless as long as you have access to a Windows-based computer.
Does rooting require I flash a ROM?
No.
I'd like to update to 4.3 but I read on the Samsung web site that the upgrade requires that your phone not be rooted
Not (quite) true - there are a couple of people that have posted here that had rooted phones and have completed the update.
I've heard that KNOX is giving people who are rooted problems or that it's not possible to root after upgrading to 4.3.
Knox is quite troublesome, and it's recommended that if you're even THINKING of rooting, that you don't accept the 4.3 OTA. Instead, you should wait for the ROM developers to release a pre-rooted 4.3 build that doesn't contain Knox. Currently, there is not such a build. I also haven't seen a root method for 4.3 on Verizon, but some poster mentioned that he had successfully rooted (didn't provide a link). Once you accept the 4.3 update there's no going back to 4.1.2; it's also unknown if you can load a 3rd party ROM like CM.
Can I root after the update or should I do it before?
See the previous comment. Yes, but it won't matter if you do because you'll lose root when you update.

Woof! I need a nap after all of that.

Oh, welcome to the forums!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Haha, Thanks GSDer! I know that was a long question but you helped me out a lot. I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger. thanks!

zrtsix

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
There’s a very simple way to root Verizon's S3 with 4.3 with saferoot. Here's the link. I know it says that it’s for the S4, but it works perfect with Verizon’s S3 also. Like GSDer said though, once you update to 4.3 you won’t be able to go back and DON’T try to install a rom.

Also, for anyone looking to tether their rooted S3 with 4.3 (and quite a few other phones), there’s an app in the Play Store that is now working. It’s called WiFi Tether Router (by Fabio Grasso). It’s a $1.95, but it works

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

Airlid

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
There’s a very simple way to root Verizon's S3 with 4.3 with saferoot. Here's the link. I know it says that it’s for the S4, but it works perfect with Verizon’s S3 also. Like GSDer said though, once you update to 4.3 you won’t be able to go back and DON’T try to install a rom.

Hope this helps someone.

I'm very glad to have root back, it worked very easily on my Verizon GS3.
Thank You

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Also, for anyone looking to tether their rooted S3 with 4.3 (and quite a few other phones), there’s an app in the Play Store that is now working. It’s called WiFi Tether Router (by Fabio Grasso). It’s a $1.95, but it works

Hope this helps someone.

If I understand correctly, you are saying this method allows me to upgrade to 4.3 and then root afterward?

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
That's what he's saying.
Please note, that's ALL you get - the bootloader is locked due to Knox, you can't revert to an earlier firmware and you can't load other ROMs.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I updated to 4.3 OTA and ran Saferoot successfully. Thank you! Now I have to deal with the battery drain/overheating i'm noticing after the update :(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Factory Reset and wipe system cache in Recovery mode - that's the starting point for any troubleshooting after an OTA.

And of course, backup your information prior to the Factory Reset.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if Saferoot provides custom Recovery software, but if it does also wipe the Dalvik cache.

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
SuperSU said it needed to update the binary in order to access it (so I did), and after rebooting the phone now has a message that says "[unlocked padlock image] Custom". This didn't appear before updating the binary. Did i do something terrible or is there any way to get rid of that? I just lost one of the most attractive features of the SafeRoot. I hope I made sense.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You made sense. I can't answer your question about SuperSU since I have neither 4.3 nor root.

When you boot into Download mode what does it show?
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
Warranty Bit: 0
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I get to the screen and then the warning pops up saying, "If you'd like to flash custom ROM press volume up, To restart press vol down". I definitely don't want to flash a ROM so will continuing into DL mode make any changes to my phone? And if not, i'm guessing that's were I can access the above info that you posted?

I'm just trying to be extra careful since that binary update snafu.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
will continuing into DL mode make any changes to my phone? And if not, i'm guessing that's were I can access the above info that you posted?
Booting into Download mode won't do anything - you'd actually have to connect to your PC and use Odin to flash a ROM.

And yes, once in Download mode you'd see the stuff I referenced.

To exit from Download mode you can either pull the battery or press-and-hold the Power button for about 10 seconds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay