Verizon Galaxy S3 - How can I return to stock?

tsawrie

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I tried to return to stock using the instructions on the sticky thread and the files listed. Odin finished but then gave a message "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone.
Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest Verizon Wireless store for help"

Can someone please tell me what I've done wrong? Is my phone bricked?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Those files are so old, and things have changed so much due to Knox, that I'm not surprised you're having problems.

If you have a Best Buy nearby your best bet might be to go there and ask them to reload the firmware on your phone. They may already have the latest version, which will save you some steps.

You could try using the Kies software on your computer to reload the stock firmware. I don't know if Samsung has updated Kies to the 4.4.x firmware yet for the Verizon variant; it took awhile when 4.3 first came out. At worst you'd get 4.3 and then you could accept the OTA.

Or you could use Odin and (Updated Link) http://samsung-updates.com/details/30088/Galaxy_S_3_Verizon/SCH-I535/VZW/I535VRUDNE1.html

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

semibru

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
tsawrie - any luck? Having a similar issue and wondering how to fix. Installing Kies now.

GSDer - Wondering why Best Buy rather than VZW... more sympathetic to folks rooting phones?

semibru

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Update... Kies doesn't work. I can't connect to the phone while in "yellow triangle" mode. I'm able to use Odin and flashed NC1(completing successfully), but it didn't fix anything.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
GSDer - Wondering why Best Buy rather than VZW... more sympathetic to folks rooting phones?
I've read (haven't been there myself) that Best Buy has something like a Samsung Service Centre where they have the tools to completely re-flash the firmware. Just figured if it was Samsung sponsored it might have more knowledgeable people running the show.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm able to use Odin and flashed NC1(completing successfully), but it didn't fix anything.
Dang! I don't know how that NC1 keeps sneaking in my posts - the current firmware is http://samsung-updates.com/details/30088/Galaxy_S_3_Verizon/SCH-I535/VZW/I535VRUDNE1.html

You could try that and see what happens.

BTW, it's pretty common for Kies to show that it's 'not connected', but if you go through the prompts for the second item in the Tools menu (Firmware upgrade and initialization) it usually works - that's been my experience anyway. I don't know if Kies has been updated with the latest build for the Verizon variant though - back when 4.3 came out it took a month before it had the correct firmware. Odin is a must safer bet.

semibru

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've read (haven't been there myself) that Best Buy has something like a Samsung Service Centre where they have the tools to completely re-flash the firmware. Just figured if it was Samsung sponsored it might have more knowledgeable people running the show.

Makes sense and thanks for the advice. Went over there at lunch. The Samsung rep didn't have any issues with rooting, but still couldn't help me since no longer covered by warranty. Meanwhile, at the VZW store, they were also more helpful and sympathetic than expected. Alas, they couldn't fix it.

Tonight, I'll download and flash NE1. Pretty sure I tried a version of NE1 already, but perhaps this is a better image. Thanks for the help!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung rep didn't have any issues with rooting, but still couldn't help me since no longer covered by warranty.
Bummer. I guess I thought they would try to help anyone with a Samsung device, regardless of warranty status or where they got it. So much for manufacturer support...
Meanwhile, at the VZW store, they were also more helpful and sympathetic than expected. Alas, they couldn't fix it.
They couldn't fix it, as in, they used their tools to re-flash it but it still didn't work? Or they just said there was nothing they could do?

What is the actual problem anyway? The same 'software not supported' message?
If you have an SD card, be sure you remove it.

semibru

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
They couldn't fix it, as in, they used their tools to re-flash it but it still didn't work? Or they just said there was nothing they could do?

His first comment (not caring that I broke it rooting) was, "I can fix that." But he basically just booted into recovery and tried a factory reset. After that didn't work he realized that I needed to flash the right image and told me to contact Samsung via VZW support. He also suggested that I go to Best Buy... LOL.

What is the actual problem anyway? The same 'software not supported' message?
If you have an SD card, be sure you remove it.

I'm getting the same message as the guy in the OP: "System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest Verizon Wireless store for help."

In my case, I rooted prior to getting the 4.4.2 update to back up my apps with TB. I wanted to do a factory reset to fix GPS. In hindsight, I should have restored everything after the reset and prior to the update. Instead, I followed the same rooting instructions after the 4.4.2 update and hosed the phone. Specifically I followed these instructions.

Which brings me to a question... Since I did this after a factory reset and not rooted, can I assume that my bootloader is still locked. I've seen warnings about that when flashing NE1?

Only 6 more hours to go on this download... so painful. will report back later. Thanks again.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So, in theory, can I flash back to 4.3, root, restore my apps/data with TB, and OTA/Kies to 4.4.2?
Why would you do that? You should be able to root the 4.4.2 build (checkout http://towelroot.com) and then restore your apps/data with TB.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
SUCCESS! Worked like a charm. Many thanks!

I ended up using a faster NE1 download from this post:
[FIRMWARE] VRUDNE1 (Android 4.4.2 - Kit Kat) No-Wipe Factory Image - xda-developers

So, in theory, can I flash back to 4.3, root, restore my apps/data with TB, and OTA/Kies to 4.4.2?

That's the same 4.4.2.image that I used, from xda-developers, the no-wipe one. Towelroot works with it. I odid'd it and then used towel root, and everything was fine. I did have to do a factory restore to get rid of junk that was causing extra battery usage, using the factory reset from "settings", but that still left me rooted, and SuperSU from the Play Store was able to disable KNOX and update itself.

So, once you've put the xda-developers image on your phone, you're done as far as getting to 4.4.2 goes *smile*. And towelroot works well with that image, so that's good, too.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
That's the same 4.4.2.image that I used, from xda-developers, the no-wipe one. Towelroot works with it. I odid'd it and then used towel root, and everything was fine. I did have to do a factory restore to get rid of junk that was causing extra battery usage, using the factory reset from "settings", but that still left me rooted, and SuperSU from the Play Store was able to disable KNOX and update itself.

So, once you've put the xda-developers image on your phone, you're done as far as getting to 4.4.2 goes *smile*. And towelroot works well with that image, so that's good, too.

I flashed that same 4.4.2 image from xda with Odin, and it worked fine. However, I am still getting the update notification to do the OTA to 4.4.2... I wasn't expecting to still get that notification. I have not done a factory reset yet, I was going to give it a day to see how the phone behaved without resetting. Should I do a factory reset anyways, or just accept the OTA? Any thoughts on what's going on?

I had been rooted with saferoot before, and also unrooted with it, but still got the "custom" logo when booting. So I decided it would be safer to use Odin. I no longer get the "custom" logo, but don't want to mess anything up. I do plan to use towelroot eventually, I just like to take things one step at a time and see how everything behaves. Thanks.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I flashed that same 4.4.2 image from xda with Odin, and it worked fine. However, I am still getting the update notification to do the OTA to 4.4.2... I wasn't expecting to still get that notification. I have not done a factory reset yet, I was going to give it a day to see how the phone behaved without resetting. Should I do a factory reset anyways, or just accept the OTA? Any thoughts on what's going on?

I had been rooted with saferoot before, and also unrooted with it, but still got the "custom" logo when booting. So I decided it would be safer to use Odin. I no longer get the "custom" logo, but don't want to mess anything up. I do plan to use towelroot eventually, I just like to take things one step at a time and see how everything behaves. Thanks.

In case anyone else runs into this - I tried accepting the OTA and it failed. I used the Verizon Repair Assistant and it updated fine and I am no longer showing an update notification. I was told if I had flashed back to 4.3 with Odin I would've hard bricked it, so glad I didn't do that... :D

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
In case anyone else runs into this - I tried accepting the OTA and it failed. I used the Verizon Repair Assistant and it updated fine and I am no longer showing an update notification. I was told if I had flashed back to 4.3 with Odin I would've hard bricked it, so glad I didn't do that... :D

Yeah, had a shot of adrenaline when I read that you were on 4.4.2 and wanted to go back to 4.3. That would indeed have bricked your phone. As it is things are bad enough *smile*, can't do anything interesting with the stupid phone anymore now that Samsung has fixed us all up. Just waiting out the time until I can upgrade. Although, once you had 4.4.2, if you had rooted your phone (towelroot), you could have frozen or uninstalled the SDM app using Titanium Backup, which is the one that offers OTA updates. Then you wouldn't have seen that OTA being offered any more.

Good luck, have fun.