Pre-order and keep your unlimited data on VZW

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Right - I was going to mention that even if you grandfather your way into unlimited LTE VZW reserves the right to change their mind at any time. At that time you'll be warned and (should) have the right to break your contract with them, but this doesn't mean you get unlimited LTE forever - just for the next 2 years unless they change their mind ...

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
So if I pre-order and pay the contract price, I'll get to keep my unlimited data until Big Red says I have to give it up? I mean, there's no reason to pay the off contract price to keep unlimited data to have Verizon take it away and then you payed more than you had to. Right?

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
So if I pre-order and pay the contract price, I'll get to keep my unlimited data until Big Red says I have to give it up? I mean, there's no reason to pay the off contract price to keep unlimited data to have Verizon take it away and then you payed more than you had to. Right?

Right. There's no sense in buying off contract.

Reactions: TechNut79

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
From what Im told the store employees have been given almost no information on the new plans, and definately no training on them. Its estimated that Corperate will allow atleast two weeks warning to the stores before they make any large changes. That being said what they have been told is that the changes will come in "late summer", and they took that to mean Augest or September based on fiscal quarters right?

With that said its all still very much speculation; informed speculation but speculation non the less.

Im going to take my chances and not preorder because I dont have the cash right this second and because Id like to read some reviews of the CDMA model before I purchase. I might have some warning before the changes come, and if they come before the phone ships and the pre order is still availible..Ill pre order. Otherwise, itll be me and my Rezound for atleast another year before I pony up full retail for my upgrade.

FishMeetFish

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the need to worry about keeping my unlimited data plan. When I pre-order this morning, there was an option for me to keep my unlimited data. I don't really need my S3 to arrive anytime soon...I still have a perfectly functional phone to use in the meantime. Let say Verizon changed their policy and kill off unlimited data tomorrow, I'm sure they would honor my upgrade and let me keep my unlimited data. If they don't, they'll loose me as a customer and I'll simply move on to Sprint and pay less.

xsists

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I just preordered and was able to keep my unlimited plan.

Anyone know if it will be the LTE or just unlimited 3G?

Also, it gave me a $100 discount so with the tax and upgrade fee I paid $136 for it.

FishMeetFish

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

Also, it gave me a $100 discount so with the tax and upgrade fee I paid $136 for it.

Since S3 is 4G phone, you'll get unlimited 4G LTE data.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Unlimited DATA is unlimited on 3G and LTE.

stainiu

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Verizon Data

Hey all I have a question about my data plan,and I was hoping someone could answer my question. I can't upgrade until the 22nd of June, I was wondering if anyone knew whether I would lose my 4GB of data for 30 dollars a month plan if I upgrade to the SIII at that time? In other words will Verizon force me back down to 2GB of data for the same price?

iceman64

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
No I don't think u would lose this, just like I was able to keep my unlimited data.when I order the s3 this morning. The new data plan are for us who are grandfathered. We will lose this when they eliminate the unlimited data is we get a new phone for the discounted price. So you should b good. The promotion 4gb for the same 2gb price was for new customers, they stopped this promotion on Tues

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Saucz

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Re: Verizon Data

Not to hijack your thread, but in relation to the OPs Question...

Didn't Verizon say they were going to give customers ample time notice before nixing the unlimited data?

I wanted to wait until the last minute to purchase the SG3 but won't mind pre ordering either.

Saucz

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Didn't Verizon say they'd give us advanced notice before nixing the unlimited service? i thought I had read that somewhere

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere after July 7th was the key date about ending unlimited data.
Orders or changes made before that date would have unlimited data still but after would not ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

Hey all I have a question about my data plan,and I was hoping someone could answer my question. I can't upgrade until the 22nd of June, I was wondering if anyone knew whether I would lose my 4GB of data for 30 dollars a month plan if I upgrade to the SIII at that time? In other words will Verizon force me back down to 2GB of data for the same price?

If you called them and asked them to bump it up to today, so you can take advantage of pre ordering, I'm sure they would accommodate you.

There's really no way of knowing for sure, but if they had any intention of eliminating unlimited data on July 9th contract renewals, I'm sure that info would have leaked by now.

potenzad

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Are you guys preordering online or in store? I don't feel comforted doing it online with no guarantee that I will still have unlimited when the phone does arrive.

Then again, will in-store be any different..

I pre-ordered my Galaxy S III yesterday online and got confirmation of the order and of my plan which is unlimited data via email. They even confirmed the price of the plan.

DianeR

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

@stainiu

I called Verizon a couple of days before the pre-order date, and the rep told me I was going to have to sign up for a $30 data plan for LTE and lose my unlimited and would get 4 gig since it's on 4g. He said 3g phones would only get 2g of data. I said that was kinda backwards since LTE is so much faster, but we agreed it's probably because we're supposedly going to use more data with LTE because it is so fast and we'll do more with it. So, it sounds like even if the plans come out you'll be paying the same.

As for upgrading before your date, I'm curiouse to hear if Verizon allows it. I tried to do that when the original Droid came out and they made me wait until the actual day I was allowed to upgrade and not a day sooner. Granted, that was 29 months ago, but I can't see them changing that policy.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

@stainiu

I called Verizon a couple of days before the pre-order date, and the rep told me I was going to have to sign up for a $30 data plan for LTE and lose my unlimited and would get 4 gig since it's on 4g. He said 3g phones would only get 2g of data. I said that was kinda backwards since LTE is so much faster, but we agreed it's probably because we're supposedly going to use more data with LTE because it is so fast and we'll do more with it. So, it sounds like even if the plans come out you'll be paying the same.

Those phone reps are boneheads. He was talking about the existing tiered data plans for new customers. Verizon has been offering a double data promotion for those getting 4G phones which offered 4GB for $30 instead of the usual 2GB. That promotion ended on Tuesday so anyone coming from a dumb phone or not already on the unlimited plan would only be able to get the 2GB tiered plan.

77Pat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I am going to try in store to see if I can upgrade early since my eligibility date is 7/20 (maybe since I will be going from 3g to 4) . I would really like to lock in unlimited data, although I am more interested in the motorola maxx hd/fighter /vanquish.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781