Any word on the radio yet?

Subliminal

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The Charge was a bust
The Nexus has terrible reception in fringe areas and reportedly has the same radios as the Charge.

Any word on whether or not the S3 will have the same radios or if Samsung actually did some (GASP!) R&D on those radios?

Thanks!

damon

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think it will have different radios since it uses qualcomm chip with integrated radios. I could be wrong though.

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Someone reported in a different thread that they have the international version running on AT&T in the US and the radios are working good.

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The op is talking about the Verizon version which uses cdma. The international version uses gsm. There is a big difference between the two.

ZacHolley

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Ya the nexus was horrible in weaker 4g areas the razor Marx is awesome in that aspect I hope the Qualcomm radio is better than the nexus if it is then I am in for one!!

Hopefully someone knows ;)

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It isn't just the soc, but also the design of the antenna that effects signal strength (Just ask anyone incorrectly holding their early iphone 4...)

But yeah, my biggest concern is radio capability.

-Suntan

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope the radio is better than the Gnex and Charge. I do live in a fringe area but hold a pretty good 4G signal in my house with my Maxx, but the Gnex and charge would bounce between 3g and 4G. I'm not so sure I really want the S3 but need to use my upgrade before they force the family or tiered plans on me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The op is talking about the Verizon version which uses cdma. The international version uses gsm. There is a big difference between the two.

Germany uses cdma and has similar topography to places like Kentucky where a signal can be challenged. Find user reviews from Germany, since that could be an indicator.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It has a Qualcomm's S4 processor, with built in 1x,EV-DO, and LTE radio. The whole package is on a single die and it's built in using 28nm technology, so the battery life should be much better.
It's the same processor/baseband as HTC One X on AT&T, and we all know that the battery life on that phone is great.

Set2374

May 9, 2012
Visit site
It's. Different radio from the gnex. As the prior member wrote, it the same S4 SoC as used in the HTC one X. The gnex TI OMAP 4460 with a multi-chip radio solution. The qualcomm should be a big improvement!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Since its a s4 with integrated radios, will it be qualcomm radios or will Samsung still get to choose with radios? for Verizon at least this is the first Samsung with a qualcomm processor ( others had hummingbird+ Sammy radios )? Not sure how the integrated chip works.