Battery on S III

tmax1964

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone heard on how the battery is on this phone?? I hope its better than my droid x, cant wait to get rid of the droid x so many problems will never go back to motorola again. Only good they they have going for them now is there battery on razor maxx, will last two days without charging on heavy use. I wonder if they will offer an extended battery also for SIII.
Just kind of hoping as the new phones come out they would focus on producing better battery life.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I personally played with the verizon version for a couple of hours. I have GNex now and I can guarantee you battery on this thing will be FAR superior to that of Nexus. NYC, screen brightness high, LTE on, Wifi off, total power on 8+ hours, screen on 1+ hour, and still manages to pull ~75% battery remaining. My Nexus goes nowhere near that.
I hope this is true that would be great if it can last that long. I think the s4 processor with integrated lte will really help with battery

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
semi related note. Isn't the NFC and the wireless charging integrated into the SIII's battery? With the size I doubt people will need extended batteries but that could make it difficult for those who do want a backup.

signed possibly ill informed forumite.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
semi related note. Isn't the NFC and the wireless charging integrated into the SIII's battery? With the size I doubt people will need extended batteries but that could make it difficult for those who do want a backup.

signed possibly ill informed forumite.

It would be like the nexus then with those integrated into the battery(at least NFc was in the nexus)

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope it's better than the Nexus in a 4GLTE area. I gave up my Gnex for a Maxx and looking to use my last upgrade on the S3 to keep my unlimited data plan. Talked my wife into taking the Maxx and giving up her Iphone 4S which was difficult because she likes a smaller phone.

Set2374

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I hope it's better than the Nexus in a 4GLTE area. I gave up my Gnex for a Maxx and looking to use my last upgrade on the S3 to keep my unlimited data plan. Talked my wife into taking the Maxx and giving up her Iphone 4S which was difficult because she likes a smaller phone.

If she loves he iPhone 4s because of it's, she's not going to be happy with the jump in size to the Maxx. My wife loves her freakin' iPhone. She cracked the screen and used my old Droid X for a week until she got her replacement and was miserable. Good luck with that move. If I were you, I would just sell the maxx. Most women who love their iPhones aren't going to appreciate a big android phone. They just want something thatbworka and is simple. No Widgets or turning on and off data, GPS, etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the GNex and I really can't maintain charge for a full day even with minimal use (sitting on my desk during work hours). I really hope it's better than that!!

All new phones should have 1 criteria for entering the market: maintaining enough battery to get one through a normal day of use without a charge! I guess so far that has been too much to ask!

Katherine

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad this phone is being released with a big battery.
I do have good battery life with my GN can always get at least 16 hours out of stock battery on GN with moderate to heavy use

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

FishMeetFish

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
If she loves he iPhone 4s because of it's, she's not going to be happy with the jump in size to the Maxx. My wife loves her freakin' iPhone. She cracked the screen and used my old Droid X for a week until she got her replacement and was miserable. Good luck with that move. If I were you, I would just sell the maxx. Most women who love their iPhones aren't going to appreciate a big android phone. They just want something thatbworka and is simple. No Widgets or turning on and off data, GPS, etc.

My wife always want the phone that I want. So we always end up getting 2 exact phones. This time, however, she wanted to try the iPhone 4S. I simply mentioned that with iPhone, she cannot get free turn by turn navigation. Done deal, she is no longer interested in getting the iPhone. I pre-ordered 2 S3. Battery is important to her. I explained the S3 comes with a big battery and will last her a full day. Happy wife.

Set2374

May 9, 2012
Visit site
My wife always want the phone that I want. So we always end up getting 2 exact phones. This time, however, she wanted to try the iPhone 4S. I simply mentioned that with iPhone, she cannot get free turn by turn navigation. Done deal, she is no longer interested in getting the iPhone. I pre-ordered 2 S3. Battery is important to her. I explained the S3 comes with a big battery and will last her a full day. Happy wife.

Sounds like a good deal to me. My wife used to feel that way until I screwed up and got s stuck with blackberry storms for two years! Now she choses her own phones (iPhones). I won't try talking her into android. If she's happy with the iPhone, how can I win by talking her into and android phone? Too much risk!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
She's had a few android phones in the past, the continuum being the last one which wasn't that great of a phone, but she understands the android OS. She is "OK" with the Maxx and she understands moving to 4G is a plus.

templetonryecy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

This is not true. 2 apps, Waze and MapQuest do free turn-by-turn voice navigation on the iPhone. Waze is my choice personally. It's pretty solid. Both have a long way to go to be as good as Google Maps on Android, but they satisfy me until I find an Android device that can satisfy me :) Hopefully it is the SIII.

But again, both apps are free and get the job done.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
According to CNET's lab tests on the European model, streaming HD video over Wifi for 3.5 hours caused the phone to lose 38% battery - which is pretty darn good considering such an intensive task. And most reviewers have said they get around 14 hours under realistic normal usage. Here's the link:

Samsung Galaxy S3 battery performs well in our tests | CNET UK

There are also a few threads over on XDA with screenshots showing that most users who currently own the S3 have been able to go a full day on a charge.

Hard to say if the US version of the phone will be better or worse. On the one hand the US phone uses the Krait processor which uses a smaller 28 nm process (which should more power efficient). On the other hand the European model uses the Exynos processor which has a low power core. And it's hard to compare seeing that the US version will be communicating with LTE towers all day. I believe they will be about the same in terms of battery life.

Reactions: davidnc

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
This is not true. 2 apps, Waze and MapQuest do free turn-by-turn voice navigation on the iPhone. Waze is my choice personally. It's pretty solid. Both have a long way to go to be as good as Google Maps on Android, but they satisfy me until I find an Android device that can satisfy me :) Hopefully it is the SIII.

But again, both apps are free and get the job done.

Waze is junk compared to google maps. I had an iphone and waze always had issues so I stuck with stock maps app and just looked at the screen from time to time for directions.

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Eventho 2100mah is big, I found and ordered a slim 2850mah gold edition battery made in japan. Should be here in 2 weeks. I never keep the stock batteries