This or Maxx?

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I am trading in my GNex phone due to the Mic Drop issue (I love the phone otherwise). I have tried several (3) refurbs and ended up not keeping any of them due to the same problem on each. I'm leaning hard towards the S3 as I just don't feel that the MAXX is a move forward for me.

QUESTION: Are there any opinions out there about this Mic problem being a Samsung Software problem that could be rearing it's ugly head on the new S3??? That would move me into a cool phone but with the same problem which is unacceptable for business use.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

IMO, Samsung doesn't focus on the "phone" portion of smartphone. One (or more) of three things you can usually count on with Samsung: Poor or not working GPS, weak signal and microphone/volume issues. I remember with the Fascinate, the GPS didn't work, and it had some crazy echo in the ear piece. It was so annoying because you would hear yourself talk.

Moto phones have strong radios, and noise cancelling mics on the phone.

zenit#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I locked myself into unlimited data by ordering the S3. Not a fan of motorola's design (particularly the RAZR line) and and lower res pentile screens. S3 should also have the new generation LTE modem that consumes less power, so that is always a plus.

I've had fascinate, charge and now galaxy nexus and have been extremely happy with Samsung's phones, so looking forward to the S3. For me the nexus was probably the most trouble free smartphone i've ever used. Really hope the S3 is similar.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think anyone here got their hands on GS3 VZW version. I had, but only for a couple of hours. Never touched a Razr before so can't say. All I can tell you is the speed and battery life blow my GNex out of the water. Yes, battery was that good - or nexus is horrible with LTE on.

Am I reading this right? Are you claiming to have used the Galaxy S3 on Verizon for a couple of hours? And in those couple of hours, you somehow discerned how amazing the battery was? Maybe I misread, but if I didn't, that's hilarious.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I am trading in my GNex phone due to the Mic Drop issue (I love the phone otherwise). I have tried several (3) refurbs and ended up not keeping any of them due to the same problem on each. I'm leaning hard towards the S3 as I just don't feel that the MAXX is a move forward for me.

QUESTION: Are there any opinions out there about this Mic problem being a Samsung Software problem that could be rearing it's ugly head on the new S3??? That would move me into a cool phone but with the same problem which is unacceptable for business use.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Ive had various Samsung devices( fascinate, charge, nexus) and the only one with the issues was the nexus. I think it more had to do with ICS than Samsung. It seemed to be fixed for many through the 4.0.4 update which makes it seem even more the case that early builds of ICS were the cause. Other than that I didn't really have any issues with the nexus( yes signal wasn't as strong as some phones) but gps was great. I think Samsung since it wasn't "their phone" didn't really put the best stuff in it. It seems that the sgs3 is getting none of the problems in any reviews that previous Samsung devices had.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
That's actually not "nuff said" because the 3300 mAh kicks the a-- of any removable battery. You don't need a removable battery if your stock battery is enormous. Battery is the one aspect that should sway you to the Maxx, but other aspects should sway you to GS3

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Honestly the 3300 mah battery still is not large enough. I have the maxx and can easily drain it in less than 8 hours. I think if they are going with removable they need to fit like a 4000 mah battery in there. I am sure people would be ok with another 3 mm thicker for that larger battery size. This race to be thinnest is foolish and I think the first manufacturer that starts putting 3500 mah stock batteries in everyone of their phones will be the one everyone flocks to.

HAXSO21

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Honestly the 3300 mah battery still is not large enough. I have the maxx and can easily drain it in less than 8 hours. I think if they are going with removable they need to fit like a 4000 mah battery in there. I am sure people would be ok with another 3 mm thicker for that larger battery size. This race to be thinnest is foolish and I think the first manufacturer that starts putting 3500 mah stock batteries in everyone of their phones will be the one everyone flocks to.

Oh my....haha how much do you use your phone?!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Motorola fails pretty hard, IMO. The only thing their fanbois can ever argue for is "build quality". Lol. There are so many reasons why that's a cop out defense.

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh, one other thing, Moto has always been known to have really strong radio reception on their handsets. Sammy, not so much. A lot of us are waiting to see what the reviews are about radio performance for the US based GSIII handsets.

-Suntan

I'm wondering the very same thing. I currently have the GNex and I'm considering selling it for the SIII. I've had the GNex for about 4 months now and it's a great phone (other than the reception issue), but I have a upgrade available. The GNex has never had great reception and I have some dropped calls that are quite irritating.

I'll be look for radio reception reviews for this phone before I decide.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering the very same thing. I currently have the GNex and I'm considering selling it for the SIII. I've had the GNex for about 4 months now and it's a great phone (other than the reception issue), but I have a upgrade available. The GNex has never had great reception and I have some dropped calls that are quite irritating.

I'll be look for radio reception reviews for this phone before I decide.

I think alot of people are probably wondering the same thing, I'm very interested in reception reviews once it hits Verizon.
I went thru 4 Nexus and never could find one that found and kept a signal. Several friends had the Charge and also sufferd the same problem.
My Maxx like both Motorola's I had before it is rock solid.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

Biopsidy

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
IMO, the only thing the Maxx has going for it is Smart Actions and the battery life. I personally have had nothing but problems with any Motorola device I've ever owned. Maybe it's just me, but I think they make the worse hardware and their software customizations couldn't possibly get any uglier (Blur). Their camera quality has always been ok at best, not a fan of the QHD screen, the phone is insanely ugly (to me anyway) and their choice of processors has always been subpar, resulting in lag even when doing the basic of things.

Like I said, this has just been my experience and yes, that's also from playing with the Maxx. I have vowed never to touch a Motorola product again personally.

You're also paying $100 more essentially for the battery. Depending on your lifestyle, you could buy an extended or extra battery or one of those pocketable battery chargers (I plan on going this route) for the S3 and likely have what will be the better product. To each their own though. Happy choosing.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes it's not so much choice as just having to go with what works. Unfortunately in this part of Illinois the Samsung 4G phones available up to this point are nothing but a $600 paper weight. I'm looking forward to reviews on the 3's reception to see if the situation has been rectified.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I personally have had nothing but problems with any Motorola device I've ever owned. Maybe it's just me,

I think it is pretty much just you.

Yeah, we all like to rag on various vendors, but VZW states the Maxx is their fastest selling phone right now. I don't think that would be happening if they were "nothing but problems."

YMMV. I've had 2 different moto phones over the years and both worked fine.

-Suntan

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had both the gnex and the maxx(current). Build quality and reception are by far better then the gnex. My brother has the gnex and tho he is able to root and rom more he still has not so par radio signal. His screen may be a hair bigger, but we both agree that the maxx is more reliable. I'd hold off on the S3 till we see how reception goes on Verizon. If the signal is stronger then the gnex, then you will def have a great phone.

via Razr MAXX

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
It seems like Samsung has reception issues on phones outside of the Galaxy line. I have a Fascinate and have no problems at all with it's reception. I don't heard many people complain about the S2, either.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It seems like Samsung has reception issues on phones outside of the Galaxy line. I have a Fascinate and have no problems at all with it's reception. I don't heard many people complain about the S2, either.

ehhh...

In my research prior to pre-order, I found *a lot* of complaints about GSII reception.

Hopefully this one will be different.

-Suntan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes it's not so much choice as just having to go with what works. Unfortunately in this part of Illinois the Samsung 4G phones available up to this point are nothing but a $600 paper weight. I'm looking forward to reviews on the 3's reception to see if the situation has been rectified.

I have to ask, where in Southern Illinois are you?? I lived in the deep south of Illinois for a few years.

On topic, I have the Maxx, and am getting ready to pre-order a GSIII for the Missus. I had the Gnex and couldn't cope with the mic issues or the absolutely horrible reception. The Maxx is OK, battery is great but the display is kinda dismal. We have good 4g at the house, so hopefully the wife won't have issues with the GSIII.

amgalloway

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Look, if you are gonna come on a forum for the GS3, you will get answers for the GS3, but if you post in the Maxx forum you will get Maxx answers, so yeah.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey