GS3 Radio Location Diagram, Simult. Voice + Data over 3G & 4G

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this is a repost, I looked but didn't find anything.

The GS3 has SVDO and SVLTE meaning it has voice and data over 3G (EVDO) and 4GLTE. The LTE antenna includes GSM 850+1900 bands for voice and data (EDGE only), so the radio is there for AT&T and T-Mobile whether or not the software supports it may be a different story.

It is possible that it has the 900 and 1800 bands for world use as well, the FCC filing makes no mention of it, but it isn't needed in the US anyway. Similarly, the Rezound made no mention of it's GSM capabilities in the FCC filing, but it is quad band gsm.

I attached the radio locations for those who are interested and the section showing svdo and svlte

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Verizon has said it will enable global roaming with a future software update similar to what they said with the Rezound, Razr and Droid 4.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has said it will enable global roaming with a future software update similar to what they said with the Rezound, Razr and Droid 4.

That's good to know. Can't speak for the others, but the rezound has had gsm voice capabilities on stock software since release last November and comes factory sim unlocked for use on att, tmo, or abroad.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
so we will be able to use internet while on voice call over 3g. Like the thunderbolt was capable of doing?

Yes, SV architecture (like the SVDO mentioned in the OP's post, for example) is capable of doing simultaneous voice and data.

SVDO was also in the Thunderbolt, but it's design was somewhat different; They had difficulty in trying to make LTE work in the first VZW 4G phone which is why the Thunderbolt basically had two radios duct-taped together inside the phone which was a very unique design and the cause for the phone not being added to the Cyanogen tree. It's also the reason Bolt users have to wait for a leak before running ICS since they need a unique RIL.

If the info in the OP's post is correct, you will be able to do simultaneous data and voice with the S3. And yes, Verizon has stated that their S3 will be receiving an update later which will enable world GSM capabilities.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, SV architecture (like the SVDO mentioned in the OP's post, for example) is capable of doing simultaneous voice and data.

SVDO was also in the Thunderbolt, but it's design was somewhat different; They had difficulty in trying to make LTE work in the first VZW 4G phone which is why the Thunderbolt basically had two radios duct-taped together inside the phone which was a very unique design and the cause for the phone not being added to the Cyanogen tree. It's also the reason Bolt users have to wait for a leak before running ICS since they need a unique RIL.

If the info in the OP's post is correct, you will be able to do simultaneous data and voice with the S3. And yes, Verizon has stated that their S3 will be receiving an update later which will enable world GSM capabilities.

My post was based on what Samsung told the US government. Unless Samsung lied to the US government, which I doubt, then that information should be correct.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
My post was based on what Samsung told the US government. Unless Samsung lied to the US government, which I doubt, then that information should be correct.

Excellent! And for the record, I never doubted your info ;)

Your images confirm that this is the phone that just keeps on giving: Simultaneous data+voice, dual band WiFi, upcoming GSM world support (for at least Verizon), and here's to hoping that the GPS chip in the US S3 is the same as the one in the European model which can communicate with both GPS and GLONASS satellites (so 51 total sats instead of the normal 30). Youtube reviews for Euro models show the S3 locking onto ~20 sats while normal GPS is only usually around 12, should be great for quick and accurate location support.

Reactions: dpham00

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Excellent! And for the record, I never doubted your info ;)

Your images confirm that this is the phone that just keeps on giving: Simultaneous data+voice, dual band WiFi, upcoming GSM world support (for at least Verizon), and here's to hoping that the GPS chip in the US S3 is the same as the one in the European model which can communicate with both GPS and GLONASS satellites (so 51 total sats instead of the normal 30). Youtube reviews for Euro models show the S3 locking onto ~20 sats while normal GPS is only usually around 12, should be great for quick and accurate location support.

I am very glad it has gsm, hopefully quad band. i wonder if it will come factory sim unlocked like the Rezound. only time will tell, i guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC