so if I buy Full Retail, I can't even get it unlocked???

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
LOL. That's Ret*rded
I really hope Google adds more nexus phones to their store soon :p
I think even if I pay full retail on an iphone, Apple isn't stuck up enough to keep it locked :p

I wanted it unlocked so I could use it on pageplus or t-mobile's prepaid plans...

=================================

You are able to pre-order the Galaxy S III and pay full retail, only on postpaid accounts. You can purchase it once it is available to the mass market at full retail pricing. Unfortunately, we are unable to unlock the device if you had a prepaid account. You can reach out to Samsung to see if they can assist you with unlocking it!

Warmly,

Crystal

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
LOL. That's Ret*rded
I think even if I pay full retail on an iphone, Apple isn't stuck up enough to keep it locked :p

I wanted it unlocked so I could use it on pageplus or t-mobile's prepaid plans...

You are able to pre-order the Galaxy S III and pay full retail, only on postpaid accounts. You can purchase it once it is available to the mass market at full retail pricing. Unfortunately, we are unable to unlock the device if you had a prepaid account. You can reach out to Samsung to see if they can assist you with unlocking it!

Warmly,

Crystal

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service

the phone may come factory sim unlocked. I know that the Rezound came factory sim unlocked and that I was able to use AT&T and TMo sims in it without any unlocking. Obviously this is a different phone, but it is possible that it may be the same. otherwise, you may be able to buy an unlock code from ebay or whatever.

just to point out though, that you can buy an unlocked galaxy s3 from other sources. apple does the same thing, if bought from Verizon, the iPhone would be sim locked. of course, with apple, you can buy an unlocked phone direct from apple.

Does the VZW Galaxy SIII have GSM radios?

lte is gsm technology so any lte phone has gsm radio.

probably what you meant though is voice, and yes, it is incorporated into the LTE radio. details here if you are interested.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ion-diagram-simult-voice-data-over-3g-4g.html

Last edited:

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I know that the Rezound came factory sim unlocked and that I was able to use AT&T and TMo sims in it without any unlocking.
The Rezound has both CDMA and GSM radios. Search the forum and you will find posts about this.

lte is gsm technology so any lte phone has gsm radio.
The VZW GNex is an LTE phone and it doesn't have GSM radios. Some LTE phones have both CDMA and GSM radios but not all do.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Rezound has both CDMA and GSM radios. Search the forum and you will find posts about this.

The VZW GNex is an LTE phone and it doesn't have GSM radios. Some LTE phones have both CDMA and GSM radios but not all do.

Lte is GSM technology. All lte phones have at least lte data capabilities over GSM. Verizon uses lte for data only for now. 3g 1x and voice are still over cdma. Some phones have additional GSM voice and or 2g and or 3g data capabilities like the rezound and gs3

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
From the reports I read the Verizon Galaxy S3 will have GSM capabilities also. They said they are going to have a software update to unlock this feature. I'm sure someone will figure out how to unlock it anyway. Why don't you just buy the international model directly from Samsung?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Lte is GSM technology. All lte phones have at least lte data capabilities over GSM. Verizon uses lte for data only for now. 3g 1x and voice are still over cdma. Some phones have additional GSM voice and or 2g and or 3g data capabilities like the rezound and gs3

GNex does not have GSM voice or 3G GSM capabilities.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Re: T-Mobile, I don't see why you wouldn't just buy the T-Mobile version.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
On the sprint motorola photon (world phone) they imposed a block in the baseband preventing it from connecting to US GSM spectrum. Theres a fix available ( took a full year after device launch) but don't count your chickens is all .... carriers and OEMs are getting crafty and a sim slot might not mean what it appears.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
LOL. That's Ret*rded

Warmly,

Crystal

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Page plus is an MVNO of Verizon so a verizon branded SGS3 would work on page plus. The key would be you buying the phone for MSRP, then having it flashed to page plus via some CDMA workshop software. Verizon wouldn't be involved at all, though you'll never get the phone back to working on Verizon once flashed (IIRC)

Page plus
Page Plus is also notable for having an unofficial open device policy. Most Verizon postpaid phones and Alltel phones can be activated (with limitations). Other CDMA phones can be flashed or reprogrammed to their network including devices from Sprint, U.S. Cellular, etc. Page Plus does have some phones that are disallowed from being activated on their system including prepaid Verizon/Alltel phones and the new Verizon/CDMA Apple iPhone.

EDIT - FYI do not discuss on the forums the editing, cloning, or modifying of a devices ESN. It's frowned upon and in certain places a serious crime. You're on your own and google is your friend.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
LOL. That's Ret*rded

Warmly,

Crystal

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service

If you are paying full retail why not just buy a gsm version to use on those networks? Kind of pointless spending all that money on a cdma phone. Maybe I am not reading your comment right but seems like it is "retar*ed buying a phone full price for cdma" If I wasn't on Verizon I would be on a gsm network which is much easier to get unlocked phones.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
FYI you can use most Verizon phones with full functionality on pageplus prepaid.
The galaxy III is also a world phone which means it has a similar slot I think. I also use tmobile prepaid (still hve minutes to use up) but mainly I want an operational gsm simple slot when visiting other countries.

AFAIK if I buy from Samsung, it won't have a Verizon/pageplus cdma/lte radio...it'll be gsm only like the gnex from Google play store...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Page plus is an MVNO of Verizon so a verizon branded SGS3 would work on page plus. The key would be you buying the phone for MSRP, then having it flashed to page plus via some CDMA workshop software. Verizon wouldn't be involved at all, though you'll never get the phone back to working on Verizon once flashed (IIRC)

Page plus
Page Plus is also notable for having an unofficial open device policy. Most Verizon postpaid phones and Alltel phones can be activated (with limitations). Other CDMA phones can be flashed or reprogrammed to their network including devices from Sprint, U.S. Cellular, etc. Page Plus does have some phones that are disallowed from being activated on their system including prepaid Verizon/Alltel phones and the new Verizon/CDMA Apple iPhone.

EDIT - FYI do not discuss on the forums the editing, cloning, or modifying of a devices ESN. It's frowned upon and in certain places a serious crime. You're on your own and google is your friend.

Most people probably wouldn't want to use CDMA Workshop themselves, though you could pay someone to do it for you. It costs about $100 for the software. Also, afaik, data would only be over 3G and they do not have unlimited data option plan. Also, all service is through PP. Verizon won't step in at all, and pp cs, from what I have heard, isn't as good as Verizon, but of course, ymmv.

With that said, PP is a good alternative to get cheaper service while still using Verizon towers, but it may be more expensive depending on your specific situation.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
all service is through PP. Verizon won't step in at all, and pp cs, from what I have heard, isn't as good as Verizon, but of course, ymmv.

FWIW, it's been fine for our house phone (HTC Eris that replaced a land line)...we used kitty wireless and they take care of all the pain that you might get if you deal w/ PP directly.
Our normal cells are t-mobile (in case one network fails)...we don't use voice much and are nearly always near wifi, so it works for us. Normal out of pocket for us is $40/yr for pageplus and $10-25/yr for t-mobile prepaid w/ an occasional $80-100/yr topoff every few years (no I'm not kidding).

The SGS III would be a great flexible replacement if it worked on both networks...if the sim slot is truly open like the HTC Rezound, it'd work great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze