Very concerned about Screen Burn in...

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have burn in on my GNex.. I can almost make out what looks like clock numbers going across the middle of the screen.. brownish color only really visible when I'm viewing a white background.. example, a web page. From this thread I actually just figured out what it's from... I use my phone as an alarm clock at night and use the app Bedside which displays a digital clock across the screen.. it runs 8-10 hours a night.

Haha! My old Palm Pre- is my bedside clock and no burn in for me!

So the S3's screen is that bad huh?...And Gnex for that matter...Sad in our day and age! It really is.

CP2

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I've had a SGS Fascinate since the day they shipped on VZW - my phones haven't been afflicted by burn in, but possibly because I often change screens, and always use auto-rotate and use landscape mode often, even if it's in the dock, it uses the ICS alarm clock with a moving time.

However - I know it can happen. I received as an insurance replacement a refurbished unit that had the Samsung dock image burned into the display - it was like pulling teeth to get Asurion to understand what I meant.

So it seems it's all about how you use it. If you're one to leave the screen on high brightness and left on all day, you may want to reconsider those habits. But for those complaining why not use a SLCD.... once you spend time with the infinite contrast & deep blacks that AMOLED can give you, it's hard to go back to an LCD display.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Overkill on a TV too.

I wish my 9 year old Panny plasma would get some burn-in so I could justify replacing it.

-Suntan

Yeah, you're right. I've only used it a couple times. Any little traces that stick on the screen go away quickly anyways.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I have burn in on my GNex.. I can almost make out what looks like clock numbers going across the middle of the screen.. brownish color only really visible when I'm viewing a white background.. example, a web page. From this thread I actually just figured out what it's from... I use my phone as an alarm clock at night and use the app Bedside which displays a digital clock across the screen.. it runs 8-10 hours a night.

Crap... That what I had planned on doing too. I use Dock Clock on my S3 (which has an adjustable orbit setting to minimize screen damage) but now I'm afraid to use it. :(

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Do whatever you want with the phone .... IF it gets all messed up cause of burn in just call up carrier and request a new one.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Crap... That what I had planned on doing too. I use Dock Clock on my S3 (which has an adjustable orbit setting to minimize screen damage) but now I'm afraid to use it. :(

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

The stock clock has the time that keeps moving like a screensaver. Does that app do the same thing or keep it in one spot? I'd find another alarm clock if it doesnt move. I had a galaxy nexus for 6 months and did the same as you every night with the stock clock, and never had a problem.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I use my Fascinate as a desktop clock everynight and during the day while charging, absolutelt no burn in problems.

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Please folks.... This will be a isolated incident if a incident at all ..... Don't worry about this to much. I have seen a s load of gnex in the past year and no screen burn in at all. Infact I have been all about smart phones ( by no means a expert, but I do take a lot of notice ) for 5 years now and have never heard of or come across this in real life.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Hmm several reports of screen burn already on xda site and many over seas which have only had the phone a shot time. This doesn't sound good for Sammy ..just sayin

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

phantom21

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have an OG Dinc that I hadnt noticed till I read this post, but while reading a web page (white back ground), I can clearly see my status bar burn image when the page is rotated into "landscape". But, like I said, I never noticed it until I read this page. Maybe I should stay away from the interwebs.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Don't leave your screen on with a static image on it for hours on end.

Problem solved.

Sent from my DROIDX (soon to be sent from my S3) using AC Forums App

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I consider myself to be lucky because I have zero screen burn in. I also run the screen at Max brightness since day one. I was always aware of the burn in issue though, that is why I would never use my phone as a clock at night.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If this becomes an issue I will just buy the next big phone that comes out! Plus I like to upgrade early anyways...So this isn't really a worry to me. Nor do I use it as a clock near my bed. Thats what my Palm Pre- is for and it has no burn in. Maybe difference in screen type?

Oh well I don't keep to up to date on screens. If they look nice...Then I am good! Still wish it had the HOX screen though. Then for me it would be a perfect device. (As long as we can unlock the boot loader too!)

ddggttff3

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a bionic with a pentile screen and have no signs of wear in, and I use this as a alarm clock every night sense I got it back on launch day. It must just be select batches of screens? and why worry, its a hardware defect, thus you can just warranty it... well, if you didnt unlock the bootloader. its re-lockable, right?.....

beeper3000

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a bionic with a pentile screen and have no signs of wear in, and I use this as a alarm clock every night sense I got it back on launch day. It must just be select batches of screens? and why worry, its a hardware defect, thus you can just warranty it... well, if you didnt unlock the bootloader. its re-lockable, right?.....

The bionic doesnt have amoled screen so no u won't see burn in on that. This is only a flaw on amoled screens.