Very concerned about Screen Burn in...

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I really hope the screen is okay on this phone. It's turning out to be the device that I'm really looking forward to. With a different chipset for the cell radio (crappy gnex & s2) , as well as the Wolfson DAC, this phone should be excellent.

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
We have two OG Incs in my family that have the Amoled screens. One has burn in, one doesn't. The one that does is where the HTC flip clock is at.

I'm sure part of that problem is my dad is on the home screen more than I and has a habit of leaving his screen on a lot more than me. I've never noticed anything on mine.

I think it's only an issue for peeps that will be keeping the same image up on the screen for long periods of time and never changing much up. Same as old monitors and TVs that get the burn in where logos would sit, etc.

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
When you are trying to build a brand you do. Sammy has said the rgb Samoled plus are just not ready for prime time. This is about more than the galaxy s3, it is about the "SAMOLED" brand that Samsung is trying to build.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Android Central Forums

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
These AMOLED screens aren't brand new. Why are we making such a big deal over this if they've been out for awhile? Just because it's a new device?

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
These AMOLED screens aren't brand new. Why are we making such a big deal over this if they've been out for awhile? Just because it's a new device?

Because past experience with this tech has shown it sucks so the question is -did they fix it? And if not why are they still using it?

A 600$ device should not have to be tip toed around basic usage to avoid hurting it. "Just not leaving an image on for long" is a cheap excuse. Imagine if your phone hung up on itself if you talked for more than 10 minutes. Or if taking it out of a clean room resulted in dust/dirt/lint inside the screen.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read Samsung is using Pentile Amoled which reduces burn in/degradation better than what they used in the SII. So avoid using the phone with a static image for long periods of time and you'll be fine.

Merc25

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Go get Dead Pixel Detect in the Play Store...run through the different colors and you will see real quick if you have any burn in. On my Galaxy Nexus I dont have any at all and have never seen one with any...but have heard about it on the boards so maybe me and my friends/family just lucky.

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Go get Dead Pixel Detect in the Play Store...run through the different colors and you will see real quick if you have any burn in. On my Galaxy Nexus I dont have any at all and have never seen one with any...but have heard about it on the boards so maybe me and my friends/family just lucky.

Just did it on my og Dinc.... No burn in .... I'm not worried.

mesayed

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Crap... That what I had planned on doing too. I use Dock Clock on my S3 (which has an adjustable orbit setting to minimize screen damage) but now I'm afraid to use it. :(

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

i think might have a burn in. i just realized it 2 days ago and i am so upset about it. i have the same as you are explaining, but i can see the spot even when the display is off. it appears like a white spot on a black screen.

is it a burn in? and how was it caused?

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
i think might have a burn in. i just realized it 2 days ago and i am so upset about it. i have the same as you are explaining, but i can see the spot even when the display is off. it appears like a white spot on a black screen.

is it a burn in? and how was it caused?

If the display is off and it shows I don't believe it's burn in. If you want a good example of burn in go to a Vzw store and look at their display model galaxy Nexus and Droid charge

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue on 4 out of the 5 Gnex's that I went through before I got Verizon to switch me out for a razr maxx and I always kept my screen brightness lower then 50%. My Gs3 has had no signs of any kind of burning yet from day one there are quite a few large specs in my screen that can only be seen in low light conditions or at night that appear only on black backrounds like the notification bar. This issue also plagued my razr maxx but after going through so many Gnex's I just kept it because the phone actually worked. I'm heading over to Verizon tonight to show them this issue and the fact that my phone takes 3-5 hours to charge but the tech would literally have to take the phone into a darkened room to see these imperfections in the screen. Motorola was aware of the issue and I read somewhere that they wouldn't replace any units as it didn't effect the day to day functionality of the phone. With my GS3 i paid full retail and there should be no defects in a flagship device. The Gnex was notorious for screen burns and banding but Samsung supposedly upped the screen quality on the GS3 but not enough to give the tech a different title then super amoled hd. I really wish that the one x had been released on Verizon because I've never had this many issues with the 3 different htc phones that i had with Sprint and the Super lcd 2 screen that is used on the one x and evo lte is just amazing. I love the saturation of amoled screens but there are too many issues with them.

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
With the OLED screen comes burn in for every phone that has had it. And I've seen reports from XDA about Europe owners who have already seen it on the S3. Namely keyboard, status bar (and what's in it), and if you use your phone as a desk clock.

The screen is the most used feature on a Smartphone, Just about everytime you use the phone you have to look at the screen, and I do a lot of internet surfing/ video watching.
People freak out over a dead pixel or dust under the screen so how people cope with burn in on a 600$ device?

Any ideas? Concerns unfounded?

You guys need to stop freaking out over some BS probly posted by apple fanboys. Im sure theres bound to be some phones out of millions that end up having an issue but like most ive had amoled for many years and love it so I still buy it. Any screen is bound to degrade over time...geez come on. I have never seen or heard of and issues with this so I rack it up to some paranoid freaks that like to spread rumors. This is by far the best display I have ever seen and used including the retina display.
Stop freaking out and scaring others, use your phone as much as you want it has a one year manc. warranty and you can purchase add protection if your still worried.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You guys need to stop freaking out over some BS probly posted by apple fanboys. Im sure theres bound to be some phones out of millions that end up having an issue but like most ive had amoled for many years and love it so I still buy it. Any screen is bound to degrade over time...geez come on. I have never seen or heard of and issues with this so I rack it up to some paranoid freaks that like to spread rumors. This is by far the best display I have ever seen and used including the retina display.
Stop freaking out and scaring others, use your phone as much as you want it has a one year manc. warranty and you can purchase add protection if your still worried.

Educate yourself. Burn in is a problem with ALL AMOLED screens. It is a defect in the technology itself.

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Educate yourself. Burn in is a problem with ALL AMOLED screens. It is a defect in the technology itself.

What was I thinking?:p I must just be really lucky then since ive been using amoled displays since they came out for phones and have never had a problem even with heavy and continous screen use. And neither has anyone of my friends that have them as well. You can keep ur education, I'll take my experience and apparent luck any day. Just remember every time you turn on the screen your display could burn it at any second, so dont use it.:p

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What was I thinking?:p I must just be really lucky then since ive been using amoled displays since they came out for phones and have never had a problem even with heavy and continous screen use. And neither has anyone of my friends that have them as well. You can keep ur education, I'll take my experience and apparent luck any day. Just remember every time you turn on the screen your display could burn it at any second, so dont use it.:p

Screen burn in is a fact of life with AMOLED screens. It will manifest itself if you're using your phone at full brightness for long periods of time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles