Very concerned about Screen Burn in...

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I never had screen burn in on any of my phones with Amoled screens.Those phones being the Incredible,Nexus and S3.When my screen is on I dont have the same image showing for hours at a time.I have played games for 30-45 minutes at a time with few moving images tho and still havent had any signs of screen burn in .
So I dont agree with the fact that its a known fact of life with Amoled screens like its going to happen to everyone 100% of the time,it is interesting that it seems to affect some and not others though regardless if the screen is at full brightness or not.

gabead

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Had the Samsung fascinate for almost 3 years before switching to S3. I used it as an alarm clock, navigation, played games, pandora and even used the app caffeine to keep my screen on at all times when using the phone and never experienced the burn in on the screen. Just because someone can post some forums where people are having problems with screen burn in does not mean the overall population is experiencing the issue nor does it mean it is common.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: rockhopperGS3

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Screen burn in is a fact of life with AMOLED screens. It will manifest itself if you're using your phone at full brightness for long periods of time.

I'm sure that in theory that could happen, but in practice I have not seen it yet. I only run max brightness. I'm sure my screen will outlast the useful life of my phone before it becomes obsolete.

I'm also sure if I go to the store and look at a display model that has the screen on 12 hours a day would have it but who da hell keeps there phone on for that long? Average on screen time for a heavy user is usually 3-4 hours day. That screen should last more than 2 full years at max brightness like that. I will however not use my phone as a clock on a cradle because the risk is not worth it.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Screen burn in is a fact of life with AMOLED screens.

Just for the record, burn in is a fact of life with pretty much every type of screen technology. LCD's burn in all the time, even Samsung has a support page that acknowledges that while significantly less susceptible to burn in as LCD's and Plasma, LED's can indeed also suffer burn in when a static image is left on long enough and frequent enough.

SAMSUNG Support

As s14tat said, who needs to keep their phone on for hours at a time on the same screen, and much less at 100% brightness? I'd be more concerned about my eyes using a screen for hours at full brightness. I also would never use the phone as a desk clock - the one example where I could see burn in occurring.

Rev.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What was I thinking?:p I must just be really lucky then since ive been using amoled displays since they came out for phones and have never had a problem even with heavy and continous screen use. And neither has anyone of my friends that have them as well. You can keep ur education, I'll take my experience and apparent luck any day. Just remember every time you turn on the screen your display could burn it at any second, so dont use it.:p

If you really want to see burn in and not just boast that it doesn't exist then go to a Vzw store and look at their display models of the samsung Charge and galaxy Nexus. I know these phones get left on a lot but if someone was using their phone as a desk clock at work or something the same issue would arise. Normal use shouldn't do it. First hand results posted on this Site and others are enough accounts unless the apple conspiracy theories are that grand.

On the other hand I've had this phone since release day and no burn in, the pentile matrix is supposed to help prevent burn in so maybe it's working. I also don't leave the screen on static images for long times though (and this is the key...)

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I run at 100 percent brightness at all time and have not expierenced a burned image or even a trace of image retention aka ghosting.

However I also do not leave static images on the screen for hours on end.

That being said, Ive been told of one case where a S3 store demo unit had been taken out of service because it had burn in. It was explained that this happened because some how the demo loop had frozen and the image stayed on the screen for hours and hours.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Just for the record, burn in is a fact of life with pretty much every type of screen technology. LCD's burn in all the time, even Samsung has a support page that acknowledges that while significantly less susceptible to burn in as LCD's and Plasma, LED's can indeed also suffer burn in when a static image is left on long enough and frequent enough.

SAMSUNG Support

As s14tat said, who needs to keep their phone on for hours at a time on the same screen, and much less at 100% brightness? I'd be more concerned about my eyes using a screen for hours at full brightness. I also would never use the phone as a desk clock - the one example where I could see burn in occurring.

Rev.

Except here's the thing: burn in happens on AMOLED screens even if the image is not static. It is a well known defect of the technology.

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Except here's the thing: burn in happens on AMOLED screens even if the image is not static. It is a well known defect of the technology.

"burn in *can happen* on AMOLED screens even if the image is not static. It is a well known defect of the technology"

-Fixed that for you.

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
If you really want to see burn in and not just boast that it doesn't exist then go to a Vzw store and look at their display models of the samsung Charge and galaxy Nexus. I know these phones get left on a lot but if someone was using their phone as a desk clock at work or something the same issue would arise. Normal use shouldn't do it. First hand results posted on this Site and others are enough accounts unless the apple conspiracy theories are that grand.

On the other hand I've had this phone since release day and no burn in, the pentile matrix is supposed to help prevent burn in so maybe it's working. I also don't leave the screen on static images for long times though (and this is the key...)

Some people, who would be foolish enough to say it doesnt exist at all, someone like you that just makes stuff up maybe.:-!
What I said, "Im sure theres bound to be some phones out of millions that end up having an issue but like most ive had amoled for many years and love it so I still buy it. Any screen is bound to degrade over time". Idiot, try reading the posts first before you respond to them.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Here's the thing.... I have an AMOLED screen mp3 player for more than 3 years with no sign of burn in whatsoever.

I've not yet seen one person here complain of burn in on their S3. I've so far only seen tons of posts talking about it second hand.

Rev.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I've had my gnex since May and am noticing burn-in so it is real. I don't use full screen brightness either. Easiest way to notice it is to watch a full screen YouTube video that has a lot of white. It then becomes obvious where the top menu bar was and the bottom on screen buttons. It's not enough to make me want to replace the phone but noticeable nonetheless. This is after 4 months of use. Didn't notice it when I had my nexus s.

So yes, amoled burn-in is very real.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Can we maybe get back to the topic of the S3 and burn in? All I've heard so far are Galaxy Nexus burn in issues, which no doubt are very real but it's an older phone and not the S3,even though some say it's the same screen it's likely not the exact same screen.

Rev.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Can we maybe get back to the topic of the S3 and burn in? All I've heard so far are Galaxy Nexus burn in issues, which no doubt are very real but it's an older phone and not the S3,even though some say it's the same screen it's likely not the exact same screen.

Rev.

But it's the same tech, you made a point that you had a mp3 player that is years old... So just saying ;)

It's a very possibility with an amoled screen. Wouldn't keep me from buying one but people should be aware.

The gs3 probably hadn't been out long enough for any to have an issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Rev.

Samsung has acknowledged its an issue, and the international versions manual explicitly says its a known issue with AMOLED screens. Samsung also put out a statement saying they would replace screens under warranty that suffer from it.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
But it's the same tech, you made a point that you had a mp3 player that is years old... So just saying ;)

It's a very possibility with an amoled screen. Wouldn't keep me from buying one but people should be aware.

Exactly, but it's an alarmist mentality. I already mentioned in my post a few posts up that any screen tech is subject to burn in, but JHBThree said it will happen on AMOLED (specifically) even with non-static images, and my Cowon S9 MP3 player doesn't have the slightest trace of it after over three years of daily use. I've even watched movies on it while on airplanes many times.

I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't feel it applicable since burn in usually happens when images are kept statically on the screen for long periods, but since he said it happens on AMOLED even without static images then I had to mention my MP3 player.

I still don't see floods of posts in here about burn in on the S3, still don't recall seeing a single one other than worried pre-buyers. I think we'd see a lot more by now if it were a real serious problem especially being the rest of the world got the S3 before the USA did.

Rev.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has acknowledged its an issue, and the international versions manual explicitly says its a known issue with AMOLED screens. Samsung also put out a statement saying they would replace screens under warranty that suffer from it.

Please include valid Samsung links to all these statements you claim, and not some BS manual warranty disclaimer like some others have posted because that is in every device manual. And regardless, where are all the 20 million S3 owners complaining of this issue? I've been on this forum subsection since buying my S3 in June and I still don't recall one thread with this issue that wasn't just some concerned person asking about it before buying. This is lamer than the Android vs. Apple threads seriously. :confused:

Rev.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I was just pointing out that where it happens on my phone is the top notification area where most of that area is usually black. When you play a video that has all white in the background, the area where the notification bar was isn't quite as bright as the rest of the screen.

So in my case, it wasn't caused by a static image.

No, it doesn't mean that every phone is going to have an issue or that the user would even notice it. Nor does it mean people shouldn't buy a gs3. But it's ok to acknowledge it could be a weakness of the specific type of screen tech.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I think it is valid....let them be concerned. In the mean time we rip a mobile OS on the worlds most beautiful screen....:'(

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I just did a search and can't find any actual valid Samsung links that admit burn in, I can only find the same Chosun article link in all the articles and it only simply says Samsung has acknowledged it and is willing to repair screens damaged by burn in. One website that isn't even a release by Samsung itself and has no factual links included to a release by Samsung - lame.

Add to that, I've viewed the few videos there are on Youtube, which all seem to be showing the constantly on display models, and which still don't exhibit burn in but no more than pixel brightness differentials. I still think this whole thing is being WAAAY overblown. Maybe Apple's slander team is hard at work here? - tinfoil hat on. :p

Rev.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE