Very concerned about Screen Burn in...

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Please include valid Samsung links to all these statements you claim, and not some BS manual warranty disclaimer like some others have posted because that is in every device manual. And regardless, where are all the 20 million S3 owners complaining of this issue? I've been on this forum subsection since buying my S3 in June and I still don't recall one thread with this issue that wasn't just some concerned person asking about it before buying. This is lamer than the Android vs. Apple threads seriously. :confused:

Rev.

There are threads all over. Google is your friend. Here's one link:

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/07/12/2012071201281.html

And the portion from the manual. This is different than the original version, which was in Korean and had a little bit different wording.

Leaving the touchscreen idle for extended periods may result in afterimages (screen burn-in) or ghosting. Turn off the touch screen when you do not use the device.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Interesting topic, I'm considering an S3 and have been lurking this thread for a week or so.. guess what, I stopped by a Sprint store just a couple days ago to play with an HTC, and thought I'd spend a few minutes with the S3, and their demo unit I used had immediately obvious screen burn-in over the top area of the screen. I couldn't even tell what it was, it looked like a garbled murky mess of some background image or widget or other. More common than thought it seems...

EDIT: seems there's a lot of debate over this. Anyway, I can give you the exact location of the Sprint store here in Los Angeles, and if anyone lives reasonably close and cares to see for themselves (it's the white unit):

Sprint Store
3530 Wilshire Boulevard #145
Los Angeles, CA 90010
(213) 368-730

Last edited:

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

LOL, Did you even read my post!?? The only single comment I said I could find was from CHOSUN!!! Where is Samsung's official statement?? There is none that I could find. Can you trust a site you never even knew about until you searched for the burn in issue? Also, ALL screens are subject to burn in, even LED and Samsung says so - I linked to Samsung's support document in my post here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...oncerned-about-screen-burn-3.html#post2139725

Where are the internet posters that can factually back up their arguments these days? Geez.... :-\

Btw, this thread started before most of us in the US even had their S3's. Since then no one in this thread has complained of burn in on their S3. That = overhyped myth.

Rev.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
thought I'd spend a few minutes with the S3, and their demo unit I used had immediately obvious screen burn-in over the top area of the screen. I couldn't even tell what it was, it looked like a garbled murky mess of some background image or widget or other. More common than thought it seems...

It's been said a bazillion times, yes burn in is real but in most real world use it's a non issue. The display phones are left on at the same screen for hours upon hours at a time, I'd be surprised if they all even power down their display units at night. I've seen AT&T stores in Manhattan that were closed at night with all their display units still powered on. Screen burn in can and will happen if you use it improperly. If you plan to use your phone as a deskside clock at night in a charging dock then yeah, you most certainly will get burn in at some point. But if you use it like 99% of everyone else you won't experience burn in.

Rev.

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Interesting topic, I'm considering an S3 and have been lurking this thread for a week or so.. guess what, I stopped by a Sprint store just a couple days ago to play with an HTC, and thought I'd spend a few minutes with the S3, and their demo unit I used had immediately obvious screen burn-in over the top area of the screen. I couldn't even tell what it was, it looked like a garbled murky mess of some background image or widget or other. More common than thought it seems...

EDIT: seems there's a lot of debate over this. Anyway, I can give you the exact location of the Sprint store here in Los Angeles, and if anyone lives reasonably close and cares to see for themselves (it's the white unit):

Sprint Store
3530 Wilshire Boulevard #145
Los Angeles, CA 90010
(213) 368-730

Not to bright of them...ha ha pun intended to leave a damaged phone of that caliber out for customers that might want to buy one.
To some of these others claiming something other then screen burn in it sounds like you may have some other screen issues. I would suggest pulling up the hidden diagnostic menu and run all the tests for the display and see what it shows then.

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
LOL, Did you even read my post!?? The only single comment I said I could find was from CHOSUN!!! Where is Samsung's official statement?? There is none that I could find. Can you trust a site you never even knew about until you searched for the burn in issue? Also, ALL screens are subject to burn in, even LED and Samsung says so - I linked to Samsung's support document in my post here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...oncerned-about-screen-burn-3.html#post2139725

Where are the internet posters that can factually back up their arguments these days? Geez.... :-\

Btw, this thread started before most of us in the US even had their S3's. Since then no one in this thread has complained of burn in on their S3. That = overhyped myth.

Rev.

Burn in is not a myth. There are dozens of threads if you search on Google, in many different forums. In case you haven't noticed, android Central is not the center of the Android user universe. If you search in places like XDA, you'll be surprised what you'll find.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Burn in is not a myth. There are dozens of threads if you search on Google, in many different forums. In case you haven't noticed, android Central is not the center of the Android user universe. If you search in places like XDA, you'll be surprised what you'll find.

You apparently have a very difficult time reading, and as a result this is the last I will be communicating with you. I've already said a few posts up, and I quote, "It's been said a bazillion times, yes burn in is real but in most real world use it's a non issue.". A few posts above that I even linked to a Samsung tech document that says burn in is possible even on LED screens.

But, your lack of comprehension doesn't allow you to properly interpret what people write. When I said it's overhyped myth I was directly referring to the S3 and these claims of burn in, not that burn in itself is a myth. I am an IT Tech for a living and have seen burn in on every type of display we've ever used so far. I know about burn in far far better than you, trust me. For the past 13 years I've worked in an IT environment supporting multiple hundreds of monitors.

Still, no one has yet shown us in this thread the floods of *S3* owners reporting burn in. So far it's only been Galaxy Nexus owners reporting this. There's only been one article claiming Samsung acknowledged it, the one by Chosun, which I'd never even heard of until this thread. If there are 20 million S3 owners I think there would be far more reports of issues, but in *real world use* on phones burn in typically doesn't occur.

I'm done discussing this ridiculousness.

Rev.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Remember folks, discussion and the debates that start are great. When things appear to go south or there is something you don't agree with there is no rule saying you have to respond or take part in the discussion. Remember there is that little red triangle at the top corner of the post, if you feel something needs moderator attention use it but don't try and resolve matters on your own.

Enjoy your discussion.

Reactions: Uncle Louie

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You apparently have a very difficult time reading, and as a result this is the last I will be communicating with you. I've already said a few posts up, and I quote, "It's been said a bazillion times, yes burn in is real but in most real world use it's a non issue.". A few posts above that I even linked to a Samsung tech document that says burn in is possible even on LED screens.

But, your lack of comprehension doesn't allow you to properly interpret what people write. When I said it's overhyped myth I was directly referring to the S3 and these claims of burn in, not that burn in itself is a myth. I am an IT Tech for a living and have seen burn in on every type of display we've ever used so far. I know about burn in far far better than you, trust me. For the past 13 years I've worked in an IT environment supporting multiple hundreds of monitors.

Still, no one has yet shown us in this thread the floods of *S3* owners reporting burn in. So far it's only been Galaxy Nexus owners reporting this. There's only been one article claiming Samsung acknowledged it, the one by Chosun, which I'd never even heard of until this thread. If there are 20 million S3 owners I think there would be far more reports of issues, but in *real world use* on phones burn in typically doesn't occur.

I'm done discussing this ridiculousness.

Rev.

Thank you. I don't think anyone here is debating that burn in can never happen because it would be ridiculous to do so, but some people believe what they read on the web so much to the point where they ignore the fact that its not always black and white, and just parrot the B.S.

I can challenge you to ask every single person that owns a GS3 and see if you can find screen burn in on their phones. Those are real world usage which matters more than the extreme cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rev2010

OMA2k

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, sorry to revive this old thread, but it's one of the top search results in Google for "amoled burn in".

Just to report that this also happens with the Samsung Galaxy S2. I just got it second hand for a relative and I've noticed the top bar of Whatsapp (complete with the avatar spot, the clip icon and the smiley icon) is burned into the screen. Also the keyboard is burned in the lower part of the screen. The owner claims the phone has only been used for 6 months. Is this screen burn possible in just 6 months? (maybe he's an avid Whatsapper :) and always had the screen on).

On the other hand, I bought a new (not second hand) Galaxy S3 in mid-July (also 6 months ago approx.) and the screen is good as new, no burn in at all. So maybe it's true the Pentile screen helps reduce burn in. But I also usually have the brightness at minimum level most of the time (except for games or under sunlight).

Edit: The previous owner says he bought if from an "outlet", which probably means they had this phone shown in a shop with the screen constantly on, so that's probably the reason of the burn-in

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12