What are you using your microSD for? Don't get your hopes up....

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I hope I'm wrong, but maybe not. From my understanding, with Android 4.0 you can't move apps to sd anymore unless it's built into the ROM/Kernel, so it takes custom work to do so. With this said, the memory that you have that comes WITH your phone is good for apps, video, etc, but your microSD card is really only good for pictures, video, and music files.

For example, I had the Tab 2.0, the 8gb. Rdio and Spotify let you save your music (sync) to the phone, as much as you want, but do not let you specify where it goes. So on the Tab 2.0 the 4gb or so of free memory was it; my 32gb microSD I bought was useless for this.

Any thoughts?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: What are you using your microSD for? Don't get your hopes up.

That's why I bought the 32GB version. No need to worry about all the stuff that stays on the phone (though in truth you shouldn't have to worry too much with the 16GB version either.)

FWIW, I load shows and Titanium backup files to the ext SD card.

-Suntan

NightxFall

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I bet a ROM will be made with apps2sd in no time. At least it better.. I got the 16 gig version and bought a 32gb microSD and id prefer if I was not limited to what I could put on either of them

Sent from my Ally using Android Central Forums

Bullfrog1337

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

I'll be using the internal memory for apps only, which is why I opted for the 16GB version. I'll use a 64GB class 10 microSD card for pics/videos...some music, though most of that is on the google cloud.

phillyphill

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

i have a galaxy nexus which had 32 gb of memory, no sd card and Ive used about 5 since 28 is available to use. And have had the phone since it came out. i think a 16 will be good but i may change up.

Last edited:

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site

I'll be using the internal memory for apps only, which is why I opted for the 16GB version. I'll use a 64GB class 10 microSD card for pics/videos...some music, though most of that is on the google cloud.

Does Google Music let you pin music to your SD card or does it use the internal memory? Because with modern internal memory like the Tab 2 had, the system sees it as an SD card; it ignores your SDCard2 for most titles. I'm not sure on Google Music, though.

i have a galaxy nexus which had 32 gb of memory, no sd card and Ive used about 5 since 28 is available to use. And have had the phone since it came out. i think an 16 will good but i may change up.

32gb was plenty for me too.... Exactly why I preordered the 32gb. 16 gb would not be enough for my MUSIC that I like to pin from Rdio.

shatter71

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

My sdcard is used to store music, movies and podcasts so this is not a particular issue for me. Thanks for bringing the topic up though, these subtle changes to memory/storage management that occur are useful to know.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't moved apps to my sdcard anyways.I just have pictures, music, wallpaper,etc on my sdcard so that's what I planned on doing with the S3 as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: NotJustAPhone

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The built-in memory of the SGSIII isn't partitioned into a separate app and data storage area as on older phones. On older phones app storage could be less than a gig even though the phone had more storage. Because he entire available memory on the SGSIII can be used for apps, data, photos etc. there really isn't a need to offload apps to the SD card. If you get low on space just offload your music and videos to the SD card.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

phillyphill

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

See i dont really store much on my phone, music i have an ipod in my car and thats where all my music comes from and ill use the bluetooth and stream pandora or my music off of google. I never really took pictures until i had my daughter but i use google drive to upload and save them. i hate choices sometimes. :-!

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, the inability of apps2sd was a big disappointment with my black friday 8gb Acer Iconia. I thought I would have no issues, since I had an sd card, but only found out I could not move apps, after I bought the tablet. I do have to be careful not to have any apps that I do not really use a lot, or some large game apps. That is why I got the 32gb S3, just don't want to have to deal with the possibility of not enough memory.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

In my line of work I deal with very large graphic files and since I am on the road 90% of the time I need access to them. I use my SD card mainly for this purpose, in addition to storing music, video, photos on it.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site

The built-in memory of the SGSIII isn't partitioned into a separate app and data storage area as on older phones. On older phones app storage could be less than a gig even though the phone had more storage. Because he entire available memory on the SGSIII can be used for apps, data, photos etc. there really isn't a need to offload apps to the SD card. If you get low on space just offload your music and videos to the SD card.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

That's the point, the only thing you can really offload is actual files. You can't move apps, games, or streaming music service files that default to the factory partition. It doesn't affect many, maybe a small percentage, but its enough to impact quite a few i'm sure.

ColdBrew

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

You don't get the whole 32 gigs for apps. For whatever reason Samsung split it and part of the 32 gigs is an internal SD card. Seems like a waste to me.

Biopsidy

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Thought I read somewhere that only the Global versions of the S3 weren't split into separate partitions, but the US versions are. Something like 2GB being allotted for apps and the rest for storage.

lordshadowz

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Hi All,

I have experience with this and its a huge issue for me. I have the Motorola Droid RAZR running Gingerbread and Motorola already does this crap. They have the internal memory partitioned so get memory put aside for the OS you cannot touch, then you get 3 gigs called internal, and 4 gigs called SD Card. Its not the real SD card its a fake partition. I've found this so frustrating. The real actual SD card is then called SD EXT. Newer games are getting huge so if you think you will be fine you got another thing coming. I have a 16 gig real SD card and it is sitting there virtually empty. Apps and games are becoming larger and larger. I cannot load even 3 of my favorite games because there is no way to put app storage on the real SD card. Apps2sd will only see the fake SD extension. Ive gone back and forth with Motorola over this on their user forums and they won't do anything about it. THe Droid X runs Gingerbread just like the RAZR and that device doesn't have a fake partition. You slap a 16 gig card in the Droid X and you get 16 gigs for apps. Its BS.. Google shouldn't be doing this and we all need to speak up.. Games coming out now start at 1 gig or more..

Max Payne- 1.3 gigs
Modern Combat 3- 3 gigs, yea I said THREE GIGS
Mass Effect Infiltrator- 1.7 gigs
Shadowgun- 800 megs

Just 2 of the above games cannot be put on the RAZR.... And Motorola just doesn't get it.. I was hoping to get away from this coming to the SGSIII... This really sucks...

Last edited:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Hi All,

I have experience with this and its a huge issue for me. I have the Motorola Droid RAZR running Gingerbread and Motorola already does this crap. They have the internal memory partitioned so get memory put aside for the OS you cannot touch, then you get 3 gigs called internal, and 4 gigs called SD Card. Its not the real SD card its a fake partition. I've found this so frustrating. The real actual SD card is then called SD EXT. Newer games are getting huge so if you think you will be fine you got another thing coming. I have a 16 gig real SD card and it is sitting there virtually empty. Apps and games are becoming larger and larger. I cannot load even 3 of my favorite games because there is no way to put app storage on the real SD card. Apps2sd will only see the fake SD extension. Ive gone back and forth with Motorola over this on their user forums and they won't do anything about it. THe Droid X runs Gingerbread just like the RAZR and that device doesn't have a fakehe partition. You slap a 16 gig card in the Droid X and you get 16 gigs for apps. Its BS.. Google shouldn't be doing this and we all need to speak up.. Games coming out now start at 1 gig or more..

Max Payne- 1.3 gigs
Modern Combat 3- 3 gigs, yea I said THREE GIGS
Mass Effect Infiltrator- 1.7 gigs
Shadowgun- 800 megs

Just 2 of the above games cannot be put on the RAZR.... And Motorola just doesn't get it.. I was hoping to get away from this coming to the SGSIII... This really sucks...

No offence, but you're FOS. I have a Droid3 w/ 2GB "internal" and the rest as SD with the real SD card as SD ext.

I have modern combat 3, ME Infiltrator, Shadowgun, Spectral Souls, Nova 2, Backstab, Need for Speed Shift, and about 20 other games of various size and I still have plenty of space left.

-Suntan

lordshadowz

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

No offence, but you're FOS. I have a Droid3 w/ 2GB "internal" and the rest as SD with the real SD card as SD ext.

I have modern combat 3, ME Infiltrator, Shadowgun, Spectral Souls, Nova 2, Backstab, Need for Speed Shift, and about 20 other games of various size and I still have plenty of space left.

-Suntan

Umm Where did I mention the Droid 3 ? Just to start off you look ridiculous. But lets drive that home alright ?

Motorola Support forums Droid RAZR discussion on this issue:
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/78d6745444

I totally feel your pain. I had not even realized it was like this because I just got this phone recently, and I usually use my tablet for games. But I totally ran into this same thing with my first tablet and found it so frustrating after being used to having all the SD card room of the Droid X.

This type of thing is a real problem for those of us who like the premium games. And like you said, these games are becoming more common these days.

So you have the droid 3.. So did I.. I gave it to my daughter. It has only 2 gigs of internal space and only 512 megs of ram. It was really laggy with games.. You won't ever get ICS on it unless you hack it and its End of Life. But getting back to the point, You are using the SD card as it should be. You don't have the issue thats even being discussed here.. Yet you call me FOS...

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site

-Suntan

Your missing the point. SD ext is our main partition and also our internal memory. The micro sd is seen as SD ext2. Or, not seen....

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Umm Where did I mention the Droid 3 ?

More to the point, where did you mention the GS3? Talk about looking ridiculous.

You come in bellyaching about your moto phone and infer that the same issues will occur on a Samsung phone.

Also, fwiw, MW3 is no where close to 3 GB in size.

Anyway, good luck managing to just squeeze Angry Birds onto your new GS3. The rest of us will likely manage just fine to load it with all sorts of games. ;)

-Suntan