Verizon Galaxy S3 First Impressions/Reviews

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon Galaxy S III First Impressions/Reviews

I've had my GSIII since Monday, and I have to say I'm not disappointed. I like a physical home button ( I had the GNex and didn't like the software buttons ). This thing is fast and the signal strength is a bit better than the GNex which is a good thing for me.

Now the one gripe I have is with the menu & back buttons on both sides of the main home button. These two buttons are way too close to the corner edge of the phone.I keep hitting them by misstake. :eek:

Agreed about the home button. I can't stand on screen buttons. They are annoying. Not to mention, with the physical buttons, we won't have the annoying issues that the Gnex has with older apps. They've coded it well too in contrast to HTC.

As for the menu and back commands, I haven't personally had issues hitting them, but I wish they would stay lit up longer. I'll have to take a look in the settings and see if that is fixable.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Adding to my review:

1 day and 7 hours on the same battery charge so far! YIPEE. 4h 32 min of screen on time. WiFi on the whole time, BT toggled off when not in the car. Have 10% battery left.

VERY HAPPY about this!

Katherine

Reactions: jcochran1977

Papadakis

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

?Aesthetics
This phone is beautiful, I was a little hesitant at Sammy's build quality after handling the GNex but this phone is almost perfectly weighted(still light though) and fits very well in the hand with it's very curvy design. I have medium sized hands and I don't feel like it's too big for me even though the phone is big. I have the pebble blue version and the color is amazing. It's very dynamic based on the lighting you're in but it's not purple at all like many have said, if anything it's more of a greyish/steele blue. My one caveat, which many have pointed out, is the physical home button. Coming from the D2G, I'm just not used to actually clicking something to go to home, I'm used to the capacitive buttons. It's not a deal breaker but something that you need to get used to. Another thing is that it is quite the fingerprint magnet.
?Screen
It's not the One X's SLCD2 but it is still a very nice display. This is my first SAMOLED screen and the colors really do pop, even if they are oversaturated sometimes. I may be really nitpicky or have just prepared myself to see it, but you can notice the pentile matrix hallmarks when looking closely at certain areas. Given the high resolution you really have to just stare at it to notice but when moving through screens and what not you can't notice it at all. This is not at all like the qHD motorola pentile displays. You will not be disappointed.
?Hardware
Very solidly built, it is all plastice but everything is very sturdy(besides when you take off the back cover, but it should be on all the time anyways). The cover also uses samsung's hyperglaze technology...aka extra smooth finish...which makes the phone a little slippery and fingerprint prone but it's still nice to look at(the pebble blue). Weight wise it comes in at a tad heavier than the One X but given the slightly more compact design it's a very good weight, almost perfectly proportioned. The gorilla glass screen should be able to stand up to plenty of abuse and it's just so nice to look at when it's sitting there.
?Overall User Interface (including TouchWiz)
Touchwiz is meh, it wasn't as horrible as I was expecting, but the icons and overall design of it and all of its nature-ness is pretty dated and toyish looking. You can definitely tell that ICS is running on it given certain aspects which do not have skins, but I suggest getting a third party launcher like Nova or Apex to get a nice stock look. I'm also not a fan of the lock screen with its ripple unlock and even when you disable that it's not a very smooth unlock. With the ripple and shortcuts disabled, it's like the stock ICS unlock but the little unlock circle appears anywhere on the unlock screen where you place your finger to drag and unlock. I wish it was just smoother, its obviously a software problem that's casuing lag with this, not the hardware.
?Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
I of course live in a random dead zone but I have good reception pretty much everywhere else. I can't really compare the GS3's reception to my D2G since gingerbread and ICS apparently measure signal strength differently but I haven't noticed and signal quality issues as of yet(samsung hasn't had the best radio track record though)
?Battery Life
I have yet to see how long a full charge lasts me, but from what I've seen in my first day of having it, it's not amazing, and not horrible, its adequate. (Will update later)
?Performance
Dual-core snapdragon S4, with 2gigs of ram, this thing flies. Coming from a 2010 phone, this thing is absolutely amazing as far as speed and performance goes. Performance will not be a problem for anyone.
?Keyboard's
Samsung's stock keyboard sucks.
?Camera (both still & video)
The rear camera isn't as good as the One series, but it is much much better than that thing they put on the GNex. It can hold its own with the top smartphone cameras. I just briefly used the FF camera but at 1.9MP it's very good quality compared to the many VGA FF's that are out there.
?How the Galaxy S III compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)
Blows my old D2G out of the water(obviously). The only thing my D2G kinda has over this is the smaller size but I can get used to this.
?Disappointments (if any)
Verizon making samsung encrypt the bootloader.

Reactions: MrsTylon

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Overall User Interface (including TouchWiz)

I am pleasantly surprised with the default launcher. I'm a big fan on infinite scroll, and the ability to hide apps in the drawer is really nice. I'm generally annoyed that it always makes a shortcut for newly installed application on the home screen, but it's easy to get rid of those. I'd prefer the app launcher button to be centered or movable, but overall, I haven't felt the need to install a replacement launcher.

Camera (both still & video)

I want to turn off the camera sound, but haven't found that option yet. Otherwise, it's great. The shutter speed is fantastic.

I think there is a setting in the google play store app to turn off adding the apps to your home page upon install.

There is ,open play store >settings>auto add widgets ,untick that option.

As far as the camera sound I dont think you can turn the shutter sound off.

Last edited:
Reactions: rpz3.14

rkcollins

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

My 32 GB Blue arrived yesterday. Here's my take so far:

Aesthetics & Hardware
Positives:
I am coming from a Thunderbolt (and prior to that an iPhone). In comparison this thing feels thin, light and fits in my pocket better. The blue case & home button have a purplish hue under some lighting, but it's not obnoxious. The build quality feels great.
Negatives:
The physical/mechanical home button really bugs me. It's responsive enough, but nowhere near as tappable as the capacitive menu and back buttons. This is the only non-fixable problem I can see with the phone so far. I'll miss my kickstand too.

Screen
Positives:
The screen looks great. Have seen reviewers say it's not bright enough... It's bright enough for me.
Negatives
The brightness auto-adjust hasn't worked (how I would like) on any phone I've seen/used and the S3 continues this trend. Removal of the color modes setting is also a slight negative. When the screen dims (when no inputs are received for a bit) it does so in choppy steps and is not a fluid dimming which is not really a negative but kind of odd.

Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage
I haven't used bluetooth yet but phone and speakerphone work great.

Positives:
UI and touchwiz are decent enough.Overall I like it despite the negatives below. I'll probably give Nova Launcher Prime a try.
Negatives:
I miss the recent apps list on the info bar pulldown from Sense on the TB. I wish Verizon wouldn't have moved the wifi toggle switch. The ringtones and interaction sounds are pretty awful.
I hate the popup: "Known wifi network is in range. Do you want to connect?" My wifi is off! Does this mean it's turning it on to check? WTF? Quit interrupting me! If I want wifi on I'll turn it on.

Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
Getting slightly worse dBm's at the office compared to my Thunderbolt but it is ok. I'll need more time with it to come to a conclusion on signal. So far I'm happy enough.

GPS
Locks on and is very accurate so far.

Battery Life
Seems like it'll be pretty good. I'll need more time to come to a conclusion on this one. Way more adequate than my ol' Thunderbolt.

Performance
I have not experienced lag on anything yet. So far I'm happy and can't really find any performance issues to complain about.

Media
Movies stream great from my Plex server. The speaker volume is loud enough & comparable to my Thunderbolt's. So far so good.

Keyboard
I installed Swiftkey right away.

Besides the shutter sound all seems great

I'm happy with the purchase so far. All my negatives (except for the physical home button) should be able to be tweaked away.

Twilborne

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Got my phone yesterday, 32 gig blue.Ordered on 7/5 got it 7/10. The phone looks more gray to me. Set up was easy. All contacts and apps restored everything up and running. The phone is great so far. Call quality is very good signal strength is good (-84db). Display is very nice, sharp and clear. Battery life is excelant so far, charged it all nite, been using it all day and still over 50 percent. My old Droid Charge would be dead or close to it by now. Touch Wiz is pretty good no real complants, works for me. Gps locks in fast and pretty acurate. The phone is thin and light so it fits in my pocket nicely, cant tell it there. This is my third Android phoneand by far the best. I liked my Droid Charge a lot but this GS3 blows it away. :cool:

Reactions: rion_j

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

Aesthetics-I like how it feels in the hand. Especially for the 4.8" screen size. One thing Samsung needs to learn is how to put a matte backing on their phones. This thing is slick. I don't know why they continue to do glossy phones, but just make sure you have a tight grip. It is much thinner than I thought it would be. I have had a GNex and Maxx and out of these three the GNex feels the best in hand. The Maxx is kind of wide and boxy but still not as slick as the SIII.

Screen: This is pretty easy. The SIII screen looks just like the GNex screen except that it might be one notch brighter. The Maxx is much brighter than both and is the best option on Verizon if you need to use your phone outdoors. Neither the GNex or the SIII do well in the sun. I don't use mine outside much so it is not a problem for me. Colors are good and blacks are black. The whites are not really white, but that is the problem with AMOLED displays. Touch response is great and is probably enhanced by the new Gorilla Glass that is thinner than the first rendition. Having the HD resolution makes a huge difference when watching videos and browsing the web.

Hardware-the hardware performs just as most of the first reviewers have said. It is fast with only a minor stutter here and there. Still much smoother than the Maxx, but not as smooth as the GNex running JellyBean. Once the SIII gets JB it will be more buttery than the GNex. Battery, MicroSD and SIM are easy to get to and fit securely. My battery cover does not fit seamlessly. It looks like based on the thinness of the device and the thickness of the plastic it is as good as it will get. The volume and power buttons are solid and perform as other Samsung devices. I am not a big fan of the hardware Home button. It functions properly, but it just makes me feel like it will fail or need to be replaced within a matter of months due to its high use. That remains to be seen.

Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage: As a phone I am pleasantly surprised in the performance of the SIII. I really didn't think it would be much better than my GNex but I was wrong. My dbm readings are slightly better than my Maxx in every level of my home, including the basement. I get a strong 4G signal everywhere in my house and average 25MBPS Upload and 12MBPS Download consistently. The call quality is excellent and bests both the GNex and the Maxx. The GNex is the worst, but I really didn't expect the SIII to perform better than my Maxx but it does. The only niggle has been pointed out in some reviews is that the incoming call volume when just using the handset is lower than I would like, but because the calls are so clear I can deal with it. Bluetooth performance is better both through my 2012 Nissan Maxima and my Sony BT75 headphones. The GNex and Maxx both did not give me clear calls with my Bluetooth Carkit. I am streaming Slacker radio in my car with the HTC Stereo Bluetooth Stick running Bluetooth version 4.0. Once again the SIII performs slightly better in loudness through my car stereo with no skipping. The Maxx actually provided more bass and better overall sound, but would constantly skip and stutter even after the ICS update that was supposed to fix Bluetooth. The GNex was too tinny and not much bass. The only issue I have is that the SIII can be finicky with connecting to the HTC Bluetooth Stick and I have to connect manually every time I get in the car, but once connected no issues. When listening to music directly from the phone with my Beats wired headphones or the Sony BT75's the volume with the SIII is several notches higher than the GNex and the Maxx. I can't listen to music at full volume and usually have it set at about 60%. This is great as Samsung phones always used to have really low media volume. I am not using any equalizer or volume boost apps, but Samsung should have built in some music affects for increasing the bass or other music settings like the Maxx. Even though I am excited at the media volume and quality on the SIII. The best on any smartphone to date.

Overall User Interface (including TouchWiz): I can't speak to TouchWiz because I immediately replaced it with Nova Prime Launcher and am very satisfied. While Samsung has done a great job with this version of TouchWiz compared to previous versions I just don't like the way they use folders and I like to have multiple docks at the bottom of my home screens. Most people will be just fine with TouchWiz and if Nova was not an option for me I would be ok with using TouchWiz.

Widgets: Once again I am not using TouchWiz so can't speak to the widgets built into TouchWiz. I will say that I am not a huge fan of the Nature Theme on this device. It would have been fine as an option but to make it 100% immersed with this theme was a bad decision by Samsung. I will add ringtones and wallpapers to replace the nature theme. That is what is awesome about Android!

Signal quality (Compared to other devices): I touched on this earlier but the bottom line is that where I live I am seeing better signal readings from my SIII than the GNex and Maxx. It is very close to the Maxx, almost neck and neck, but leaps and bounds better than the GNex. I have a hard time getting my phone to switch to 3G and consistently get over 20MBPS upload speeds on 4G and the WiFi antenna is similar. I have the top of the line broadband service from Cox and am maxing out the signal meter on Speedtest.net consistently. The Maxx is a close second and the GNex is a far third. The GNex would usually only get about 12MBPS on a WiFi connection which is less than half what I would get with the SIII and Maxx. This is another area that I was sure the SIII would let me down but I am really pleased with the performance. I have not had any dropped calls or mic cutouts like some experienced on their GNexs early on. I have even had signal drops on my Maxx, but I think that is a bug in the ICS update that Motorola is going to fix.

GPS: GPS is fast and locks my position within seconds and Google Navigation starts faster than my Maxx and GNex consistently. The Maxx is a close second and due to the long battery life makes it possibly a better solution for Navigation if you don't have access to power, not to mention Motorola does car docks and dock software the way every manufacturer should. I am very satisfied with the GPS function and street view looks incredible on the HD screen.

Social Networking: I can't really comment on this topic because I don't use Google+ and am a very light Facebook and Twitter user, but I will say that Flipboard is awesome on this phone. I am satisfied with the texting software and customization options, but then I only send about 200 texts per month so would not consider myself a texting expert. There are probably better text apps available but it is hard to beat the feature that lets you raise the phone to your ear while in a text to call that person.

Email/Calendar: Samsung really did a great job with their calendar app as it is very professional and not like the neon play school colors in some of their older devices. I like the boxed week view. I used to be a big Pocket Informant supporter just for that view. I am also satisfied with the email app as Samsung has now added the option to delete all emails or multiple emails at once instead of having to individually check each box in an email to delete it like Google does in Gmail. Cmon Google, wake up! One thing I miss about the Samsung email app in my old Epic Touch 4G when I was on Sprint was the Outlook landscape view and the black background. I love the black background on the Maxx with ICS and wish Samsung had stayed with that look. Not to mention it would have saved more battery life with the AMOLED display on the SIII. I will gladly let that slide now that I can delete all emails at once though.

Battery Life: This is another point that I didn't believe reviewers on before I got my SIII. All I can say is WOW! It certainly doesn't touch the Maxx, but I was using a 2100mAh battery in my GNex and the SIII could easily get at least 2-3 more hours per day under the same usage scenarios than my GNex. The reason I got the Maxx like so many others was to be able to make it through a day without having to carry around a spare battery. After the ICS for the Maxx the battery life really took a hit and I would feel just as comfortable taking my SIII out versus the Maxx. I have an extra battery and charger with my SIII and don't foresee needing to use it very often unless I am away from power. The one big advantage of a removable battery is that you aren't tied to a power source and even with the Maxx you are. There were many times that I was worried about running out of juice with my Maxx and being in a situation where I wish I had a fully charged spare that I could just slap in and be good for another day. I am a power user (9-16GB/month) and that is not much streaming video, but I use my hotspot feature a lot. I am very confident and satisfied with the battery life on the SIII. The other pleasant surprise is the standby time. I only lose about 3 to 4% over night whereas my Maxx and GNex would lose 10-18% over night.

Performance: Peformance is more than acceptable and will only improve with Jelly Bean. Apps open instantly and the fluidity moving between screens or web browsing is over the top. I would imagine from this point forward in the future of smartphones using Android we will not experience much lag with any make or model that is using at least a dual core Snapdragon processor and 1-2GB of RAM.

Media (music, movies, DLNA): As I stated above, this is the best media smartphone I have owned to date because of the higher volume and HD display. Watching HBOGO on this device is like watching a mini version of my iPad 3. I only stream music so can't comment on the built in Music player or its capabilities. I don't have a DLNA device either so can't comment on that.

Keyboard's: Like many other reviewers and posters many don't like the Samsung keyboard and I don't either. If you are a Swype user I am sure it is fine, but I don't and the regular keyboard while better than some of Samsung's previous keyboards just doesn't perform at an acceptable level. I immediately installed Swiftkey 3 and haven't looked back. Another awesome side affect of Android is that if you don't like a stock keyboard just download one from the Play store. The sensitivity of the display and size of the screen really allows Swiftkey to shine. I tried using Swiftkey on my Maxx but the screen was just too small and made the keyboard feel cramped. Typing on the SIII with Swiftkey is a pleasure and doesn't make me wish I had a tactile keyboard.

Camera (both still & video): As most reviews point out, the SIII camera is one of the best out right now. Right up there with the One X and the iPhone 4S. I can agree with all that has been said. It blows the GNex and Maxx Camera out of the water and the video sound is great. I still think Samsung could have put an even better camera in than they did, but it is acceptable and could easily replace a point and shoot outdoors in a pinch. I expect to see some 12MP higher end lenses in some of the newer smartphones by Christmas or next Summer. The great benefit of the SIII is that you can use a fast 64GB card and if you have a 32GB device have almost 100GB of storage which was unthinkable just a few years ago. If you are a photographer or social app picture snapper this is great news.

Disappointments (if any): I have a few minor complaints with the device but nothing that would prompt me to return it and wait for something else.

*No black background in Email app.

*Low incoming volume on calls.

*Glossy, slippery plastic construction. It will survive a drop better than most other devices but since Samsung is leading the pack they should start adding some premium materials to their devices to separate themselves from the rest.

*No text reflow in the web browser. This will hopefully be fixed in a future software update.

*No custom car dock. Samsung has decided to only sell a "universal car dock" for this device. Probably because they wanted something that customers could use while their SIII's were in one of Samsung's custom cases.

*Not great for viewing outdoors. I wish Samsung would at least crank up the brightness or "nits" on their AMOLED displays to offset the dullness. It is a tradeoff for better battery life and more saturated colors. I think that we are going to witness LG rise to the top of smartphone screens by this time next year. They are creating HD IPS displays that have up to 700 nits of brightness and they put the AMOLED displays to shame.

*Finicky Bluetooth connecting with some devices. Hopefully this can be fixed with an update.

*Hardware Home button. This was a stab at Apple but I wish that Samsung would have stayed with capacitive buttons. I see a lot of these buttons wearing out quickly with the hundreds of times per day that customers will have to press it. I also think it slows down some functions over a device like the GNex.

*WiFi toggle and persistent popup. I know this is really on Verizon, but why? It is only going to tick people off.

*Encrypted Bootloader. Once again, this is on Verizon and not Samsung but this three ring circus of letting customers know that there will be a "developer" version in a few months that you can pay full price for is BS. Not only that but Verizon had removed any warranty support on those devices. Unlike past devices where you could just unroot and put it back to stock, not so with the SIII. I understand Verizon not wanting to be responsible for bricked phones, but I bet that the percentage of phone returns from rooting is a very small percentage of their return overhead. Just another easy way to explain away removing a feature that every other carrier allows.

The bottom line is that after using and testing the SIII I can wholeheartedly recommend this device to anyone that meets certain criteria and believe that even though I never keep a smartphone for over a year I could probably keep this one that long providing I get updates that fix and bugs and don't create more. Good luck to all the new users and those on the fence. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Jdroids

iron mongoose

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

the screen gorgeous, the icons a bit cartoonish my reception so far sucks : 1 bar phone and no 4g where i live, though i did have 4g on my HTC TB and LG revolution both POS Phones] but not consistenly, camera seems ok have not tried a lot yet, battery is good, far better than my htc or lg. will play with it for awhile, if i dont like it i will trade it in for htc incredible 4g lte:-\:-\:-\

anon(638943)

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

This may be a little late or redundant, but for what it's worth:

Former Samsung Fascinate user here (one of the old Galaxy S variants). Received Verizon Galaxy S3 white 32gb (SCH-i500) last Monday, but held off until they arrived in the Verizon stores today for a quick hands-on before opening the box at home. Having been told on the phone my local store finally got them, dashed over (with my Fascinate) to take a look.

Want the good or bad news first? Will start off with the good (there's more good than bad):

As advertised, the unit looks actually elegant and was silky smooth in operation, great display responsiveness, really a joy to navigate thru. Going from 3G to 4G LTE was a miracle in itself-- made surfing the web actually useful on one of these things. Has to be at least 10 times as fast, maybe 15x more than the Fascinate's 3G, challenges even my 25/25 Fios internet at home in smoothness and quickness. Sharpness-wise, since the Fascinate has 800x400 resolution, the 1280x720 on the S3 was considerably sharper, but not quite as sharp as i thought it might be. My glasses are tweaked for reading really tiny print, so was probably knocking on the "visible pixels" level of viewing. Again, overall pretty good. The Fascinate had Gingerbread, so ICS was a nice stepup. Bought a $3 USB OTG cable on the internet, and was pleased to find out it works! But don't expect your S3 to power a small external portable hard drive--it needs its own source (at least mine did). Even a 3TB drive works just fine with its own power source. Flash drives also worked fine with no additional power. The cam seems really good too (big step-up in sharpness, realism and performance on both still shots and video--smooth and unbelievably versatile features). Battery with heavy use held up quite well-20 or so percent used over 2 or so hours. GPS with Google Maps is the most sensitive ever seen--locks on in seconds not minutes, usually even works indoors! Oh yeah, the back panel that some have complained is flimsy and thin--works fine for me, and would much rather have it since it allows easy access to memory and battery inside the unit. It's very similar to the Fascinate's, which held up just fine over almost 2 years, and that was after opening numerous times. On a "drop test" the back might detach/come off (haven't done it yet), but it's the screen that counts. After daughter drop-smashed her iPhone screen recently, and me dropping the Fascinate at least twice (once on concrete), will let you guess who made out better. Here's to gorilla glass.

So the bad part: the brightness (actually, screen in general) is indeed slightly weak. Comparing side by side with the Fascinate, both at FULL brightness, just no if's and's or but's about it, the two-year-old Fascinate is brighter. Not by much, but it is noticeable--a disappointment to be sure. (Actually compared to TWO S3's on display; both outdone.) Was then worried whether the S3 would be a washout in direct sunlight. Answer--doesn't seem to be. It is luckily still viewable, but the squint factor/eyestrain when outdoors is likely more with the S3. Bottom line: the S3 has no reserve screen power for strong light environments. This limitation imho would guess is maybe intentional-- part of a battery/screen conservation or heat reduction scheme; in other words, it may be that no rooting, new ROM, nor future update is going to make it any brighter. (C'mon, Samsung, don't skimp on the screen performance on an otherwise superior product!) Don't get me wrong--the screen looks lovely--indoors. During a video-movie test the colors were good, tho possibly lacking a little punch that the Fascinate had (when outdoors in bright sunlight neither is very enjoyable to watch). And I agree the auto-bright feature is useless. Some developer no doubt with super low-light vision screwed up setting it ridiculously dark. It forces you to leave it in manual and look for a utility that allows instant adjustment (fortunately there are some out there). But this SHOULD be fixed by an update. A user-selectable low, medium, or high auto brightness would really be cool. Also, my headset seems to pick up an intermittent hum from the device when it's plugged into AC (may have to look into that).

So, nothing's perfect. But could certainly do a lot worse than the S3 (especially of all things the iPhone--how so many Verizon customers were willing to pay megabucks to get an iPhone with 3G, puny 3.5" screen, no upgradeable memory nor removable battery to mention a few, never ceases to amaze...). But facing the "act-now-to-grandfather-unlimited-data" situation, was really pushed into this upgrade. But glad i did, especially for its velvety smoothness, top notch camera/gps and speedy internet--so cool to have a fast connection in many on-the-go places.

Last edited:
Reactions: MERCDROID

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
First impressions will be short and simple.
The phone is just not all that. 4G is spotty going back and forth. I live in full 4G area. The volume button just sucks. The browser is lousy. The screen indoors is gorgeous. Outside it's lousy. Call quality is great. The OS just isn't buttery smooth as others have said. Screen freezes now and then.

Bottom line, it's going back.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

First impressions will be short and simple.
The phone is just not all that. 4G is spotty going back and forth. I live in full 4G area. The volume button just sucks. The browser is lousy. The screen indoors is gorgeous. Outside it's lousy. Call quality is great. The OS just isn't buttery smooth as others have said. Screen freezes now and then.

Bottom line, it's going back.

Probably a good idea because sounds like you have a lemon. This is the fastest phone I have ever owned (and I have had them all, most recently the pretty darn fast GNex). The screen is gorgeous, and even brighter than the GNex. Battery life so far after 4 days of heavy use is the best that I have ever had on a phone. The camera is also so far the best I have had (lots of droids and the GNex in the past) but not as nice as my DH's iPhone yet.

The only thing I truly hate about the phone is the stock keyboard. It is godaweful. But quickly installed Swype and all is back to normal.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

I had a Droid charge, which I loved until the last update, then it became a POS. I upgraded to a Nexus. I loved how responsive the phone was, when I had service. I returned the nexus and now have the 16g sgIII. Signal strength so far for me has been hands down better. I couldn't even keep wifi with the nexus and that was on two different phones. Battery life has been far better since it is holding the signal better.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I think folks with reception trouble need to check if SIM was registered properly on verizon. I saw some reports that caused the initial signal issue after activating GS3.

I played with GS3, Razr, Rezound in verizon store yesterday. GS3 was clearly the fastest in 4G speed on both speedtest and browser. Razr was the close second and Rezound was beaten by GS3 by pretty big margin, almost twice slower. But GS3 was not the best when it comes to signal dbm reading though Razr with ICS was just slightly better.

I think Samsung/Verizon somewhat loosened 4G connection threshold to balance battery life in GS3. So it's 4G range might not be as good as Razr, Rezound but it's very fast when on 4G. This is probably adjustable in the radio software update.

Reactions: MERCDROID

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site

I don't understand the harsh response on my feedback. No, my phone was not a lemon because when I took it back to the store, the rep and I compared it with several of their demos. Even the store rep agreed that the brightness was subpar on all of the phones. It's already well documented. Regarding the speed tests( I think they are a joke). I use my browser a lot and I was not at all impressed with my dedicated CNN and Fox News shortcuts when it came to loading full web pages. The lack of text reflow and double tap sent me over the edge. Those two features are a must for me.
The build quality was to plasticky. And yes, the display was very hard to see in daylight.
At the end of the day, it's not a bad phone. It's the best Verizon android so far because it does most everything pretty well. Call quality, decent browsing, decent battery, very good camera and video, good display indoors. There is more but you get my drift.
In my humble opinion, if the Motorola droid razr max had a good camera like the Samung or iPhone, I would choose that phone if I chose android.

Peace

kobastal

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

Had mine for a few days now. Coming from a Razr Maxx and before that iPhone 4.

Aesthetics-
I like the feel of the phone, much rather have a phone made out of plastic than glass. If you dropped a plastic cup and a glass, both from shoulder level, which one do you think is going to still be able to hold water? These things go right into a case anyway.

Screen-
I agree with the tint problems mentioned by others. Turning up the brightness does help, however. There is no comparison between this and the Razr Maxx. One of my chief problems with the Razr was the screen and after getting the GSIII, I could never go back. Compared a GSIII side by side to iPhone 4 looking at the same pictures. After really, really, close examination (with both screens on maximum brightness) I would give the iphone a very slight edge. But, difference in screen size completely overwhelms any slight difference in quality.

Hardware-
It might just be that I am missing something obvious, but I really miss the capacitive search button. I know Google is trying to get away from hard buttons. I might not understand the nuances of why it is a good thing from a software standpoint, but I constantly find myself wishing there was a dedicated search button, always in the same place and always available. That was one of the things I hated about the iPhone and loved about the Razr. I also don't care for the power button being directly opposite the volume rocker. Good job putting the usb port on the bottom. I also really like the home button exactly the way it is.

Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage
Bluetooth has worked great with car stereo. Speakerphone (hardly use it) is best I have had. Phone calls are very clear

Touchwiz seems fine in and of itself. I just hate the look of the icons. It makes an otherwise great screen look cartoonish. Have been using apex since pretty early on.

Widgets
I am pretty set in my ways as far as widgets go. I will say that the calendar widget is my favorite so far.

Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
This was one of my biggest concerns getting this phone. I have heard so many horror stories about Samsung radios. My impetus for switching from the Razr Maxx had to do with reception. After the ICS upgrade, my reception on the Razr was awful. I would get total signal loss in places I previously had a decent signal. I would receive those phantom voicemails when I had been sitting right next my phone. Started to remind me of my iPhone.
So far the GSIII has been pretty good with reception. Consistently better than the iPhone. About on par with the Razr Maxx before ICS. In some locations it has been better and it has not been worse anywhere.

GPS
Fast, accurate lock. Better than Razr so far.

Battery Life
It is tough to come from the Razr Maxx when it comes to battery life. It is better than I feared, however. Only got to about 3:30 P.M. the first full day. But, that was extremely heavy use and on the first full charge. I expect it will eventually get me through most days.

Performance
Hard to say anything here other than it has been perfect. Incredibly smooth and fast.

Media (music, movies, DLNA)
I never use any of the stock apps for media. I do miss having the motocast feature from the Razr Maxx. Every phone provider needs to have that amazing function. (if Samsung has a comparable feature and I am just missing it, please, someone, let me know.)

Keyboard
Not good. Doesn't matter, just switch to swiftkey.

Fantastic. Absolutely blows the Razr out of the water. It is also clearly better than iphone 4. Not so great inside at night, but which phone camera is?

Overall, it is easily the best phone I have had. That sounds kind of silly to say since it is the newest and obviously should be better than any phone from last year. Maybe it is more useful to say that I have been more initially impressed with this phone than I have been with any phone before it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair