Verizon Galaxy S3 First Impressions/Reviews

anon(638943)

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon Galaxy S III First Impressions/Reviews

Still disappointed the brightness isn't brighter. Read some reports the brightness is measured significantly lower than the older galaxies.

Question is... why? If it was to conserve battery life, it makes no sense since the battery is user-replaceable, and they aren't even that expensive. Take the iphone where you're stuck with the battery they give you unless you pay apple more megabucks and endure unnecessary inconvenience to replace it (lithiums lose about 25 percent per year under normal use).

Another possibiility is due to heat. The s3 feels warmer than my old fascinate. i could get my fascinate to overheat (not overclocked) upon which it would refuse to charge the battery until cooldown. i bet the s3 might do the same (haven't had enough time to test it thoroughly yet), and would do it worse if the screen was given more power.

Oh well, can't have everything, many great qualities...

flenn

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Went from 4S to S3. Not a fanboy of either, but my objective comparison of both shows that each phone has it's strengths/weaknesses. Seat of the pants use of both phones shows that the 4S is every bit as fast as the S3. Overall, it'll open the IOS versions of the apps faster and navigate the menus just as fast. Comparing Safari to both the Samsung browser and Chrome using wifi is about a draw, but the 4S wins more than it loses. Of course, when there's 4G, it's no comparison and the S3 browser is a joy. This is one of the few reasons I may keep the phone.

As far as the screen, it's big and beautiful (another reason I may keep the phone), but the screen is not nearly as bright as it should be. When used alone, you can fool yourself into thinking the S3 screen is bright and acurate, but comparing the two phones side by side reveals just how dim the S3 is and how the color range is off (whites are actually blue). Outside, I struggle to see the S3.

My last disappointment is the camera. It's nice, especially when comparing to 90% of the phones that are out there. But, for me it's a step down. I compared the two phones extensively by holding them side by side and taking photos/videos. I played with settings and did everything I could to give the S3 an advantage but overall, it took fewer "best" shots than the 4S. As far as video, I'm convinced that there is a problem with the stabilization of the S3 that'll probably get better with updates. When holding the two phones side by side and panning slowly, the S3 jerks and stutters. Again, if I weren't comparing against similar video that's perfectly smooth, I might convince myself that this is normal (because it is admittedly slight). But when playing them side by side on my computer monitor, the S3's video is obviously jerky. If you want to see for yourself, take a video of a ceiling fan. And yes, I rebooted the phone, turned Anti-Shake off, etc.

In the end, I'm not sure what I'll do. I love the size of the screen and want the 4G really bad. I'm also looking forward to re-joining the android experience (had a Droid X) and all the flexibility that it offers. I miss the excellent navigation/location/map features since getting my 4S. I don't want to make any rash decisions and will let my evaluation period play out before deciding what to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: MERCDROID

anon(638943)

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Anybody coming from a Razr Maxx and worrying about battery life, since S3's NOT like an iphone or HTC, it's no big thing! All that's necessary is an INexpensive second battery which can usually slip into whatever case you're carrying the phone around in, and u have automatic spare juice--without adding bulk to the phone while using it! Can't understand why people sweat battery life. If you don't mind a slightly larger form factor there is available an inexpensive double size battery with special replacement phone back--which provides an S3 with Razr Maxx battery equivalent.

Last edited:
Reactions: MERCDROID

markespo55

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

Hey everyone just picked up my s3 two days ago. I thought I might wait a coupe days before I give my opinion on this phone.
Anyways. I'm currently on sprint with the S2 and I bought the S3 on Verizon. Thought if I was gonna get the S3 then I have to be on a good network.
1) I'm really living the feel of this phone in general. I have some small hands and for some reason it's not as bad as I thought. Also the glossy feel on the front and the curvyness of the screen is just amazing!!
2) I definitely see a difference with the display coming from my S2 to S3. It seems a little more crisp and the text/widgets pops out more. the text and fonts when im surfing the web are a lot more crisp compared to my S2 when i was looking at it indoors. outside its tough seeing the screen but its still really nice. i dont have to hover over my phone to block the sun or anything.
3) the thing I love most about this baby is how smooth the transitions are going from 3g-4G and from network-wifi. Also whenever I get home my s3 connects straight to my wifi no questions asked :)
4) the speed for me is just insane. So snappy and responsive. I've been testing this thing everywhere and for everything. Gps, Internet, texting, pictures like crazy. It takes on whatever while being fast as heck.
5) battery life is ok. I'm always on 4G so I'm paying the price. I wake up at 8am and I have to charge around 4. With moderate use such as emails, square, pictures, texting, and calling.
6) camera is just unreal compared to other devices ive had in the past like the TB, EVO, E3D, Photon, Nexus S, S2. but yeah the camera is crazy fast and blows everything out of the water. the only thing im not a fan of is when the flash is on. kind of takes a while. but other than that i love life. my gf has the 4s and she is constantly taking pictures on my S3 vs her phone which im proud of in a way =)

So yeah I'm really excited about this phone and can't wait for JB. Or at least for me to root into JB haha. I would definitely recommend this phone to anyone. Thanks.

Last edited:

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I love the feel of this phone. I walked in on my birthday a few days ago and it took me all of 30min to trade in my Droid 4 and swap out my sim and sd cards for the S3. I like the feel of the phone, but I bought an Incipio case the same day along with screen protectors. The screen is gorgeous. Way better than on the Droid 4. And the signal and call quality were great as well. For all the fuss about signal strength, the 4G purrs along with only 2 bars. And 3g is fast enough as well. Haven't had a problem with making calls or surfing the internet. I will say the keyboard is absolutely awful lol. But I use hacker's keyboard from the Play Store and it works great. The battery life on this phone is just amazing. Easily goes through a full day with no issues. As for Touchwiz, I actually like it. coming from the Droid 4, it was definitely a boring experience. Motoblur was blah. There was nothing unique about it besides the keyboard. But with Touchwiz, there seems to be all of these different gestures that you can use to make using the phone much more fun. Having paid full price for this phone, and with how great the experience has been, it's definitely a keeper for the next few years ;)

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site

So, I love the phone. The screen is great, though I wish it were brighter, but I love the size and vibrant colors. I love that I can play video on top of other open appsHaving said that, I'm not sure if my phone just had performance anxiety or what. But I took it to Disneyland and attempted to use the app Mousewait (it shows how long lines are for rides in the park). I tested it out before I left home, and it worked fine. It worked fine on my Droid X as well. Well, at the moment I really needed it, I opened it up and the phone restarted. After it restarted, I reopened it and the phone froze. This happened twice. I finally got it to work after a battery pull. Haven't had any problems since. That was frustrating, because one of the reasons I was ready to get rid of my X is that it wouldn't do what I wanted, when I wanted it. I hope I didn't trade one problem for another.

Reactions: iron mongoose

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

I have an iPhone 4s also.
Very unhappy with the locked bootloader. Once the Samsung "developer" version comes out I will get that. Yes I know there will be hacks but its not the same as an unlocked bootloader.
I actually haven't noticed the screen being that dim. The iPhone 4s screen still has sharper text and its a 2 year old screen. Maybe better colors too but its hard to say since the standard Android interface is so garish. I do like the big screen but my 52 year old eyes still prefer the sharper text on the iPhone.
Bloatware, either Verizon's or Samsung's, sucks. Apple is the only company that doesn't roll over for the carriers and allow this. I assume the Samsung developer version will at least not have the Verizon bloatware. Its not like the phone is cheap yet they still slather on the bloatware.
I expected the phone to feel cheap and plasticky like every other Samsung phone. But it doesn't really because of the thinness and rounded edges.
Battery is fine but nothing amazing if you are used to an iPhone.
Touchwiz is no longer horrible but I will still get rid of it.
Stock keyboard is not good. Still deciding on an alternative.
It's fast. I detect a little lag compared to an iPhone but not much. That may be the bloatware but should also be even better in Jelly Bean.
Better speakers and sound quality than the iPhone 4s. I prefer talking on it to the iPhone.
Not impressed by the camera and especially the camera software. Could be better on Samsung's flagship phone. iPhone 4s is much better here plus using Photostream and iCloud syncs your pictures across iOS devices and Macs. Very handy. Note that the iPhone 4 and the 4s have different cameras.
S Voice is a joke but i don't find Siri useful either even though it works much better.
iPhone has much more voice control in apps which is surprising.
I haven't used Chrome long but I find it better than the stock browser. You would think Chrome would be the stock browser...
I wasn't in a hurry for LTE on my phone until I got an iPad 3. Now I feel the need for speed and the S III delivers in a big way.
This is going to be a very popular phone. Which means lots of choices in accessories.

Last edited:

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

Had mine for a few days now. Coming from a Razr Maxx and before that iPhone 4.
I like the feel of the phone, much rather have a phone made out of plastic than glass. If you dropped a plastic cup and a glass, both from shoulder level, which one do you think is going to still be able to hold water?

You do know the iPhone use glass which is not like the glass in a windows or cup right?

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

*Encrypted Bootloader. Once again, this is on Verizon and not Samsung but this three ring circus of letting customers know that there will be a "developer" version in a few months that you can pay full price for is BS. Not only that but Verizon had removed any warranty support on those devices.

I assume Samsung provides direct warranty service for those phones. I hopes its good and fast because otherwise you could be without a phone for awhile.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

I assume Samsung provides direct warranty service for those phones. I hopes its good and fast because otherwise you could be without a phone for awhile.

Doesn't really matter. Was reading somewhere yesterday that the warranty is only good for 30 days or until custom firmware is loaded, whichever happens first. At least the warranty for normal device doesn't explicitly disallow customer firmware just that any defect or damage caused by it isn't covered. http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/sc/hi/53/schi535mbcvzw/DOAwarrantyfordeveloperhandsetsversion4.pdf

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site

My final review after returning my phone and playing with the wife's phone for the past week. If your feelings get hurt I am sorry. Just keeping it real.

The dimness of the screen is just too much to overlook. It's that bad and the reviews are pouring in on this issue.
The browser just sucks donkey balls. No text reflow even on a double tap. The reader option is god awful slow.

In a room, the screen is as good as they come.
Call quality is excellent!
Camera is great.
Build quality for me is that it feels cheap.
Battery is very good.
Music is good.
OS is smooth but not quite IOS.
Signal is just horrible. Very weak radio.
All in all it's a good phone. Is it worth upgrading from an iPhone or other top androids? I think not.

There you have it.

Peace

jcolec

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

This is my first post. I have enjoyed reading the Android Central forums for a couple of weeks now - they have been a good resource.
I'd like to weigh in on the Galaxy SIII.
I have been an iPhone user since Day 2 of the original iPhone launch. There was a six month break when my company switched to Verizon before the iPhone was on Big Red. During that time I had the Motorola Droid (original) which I grew to despise.

I have had my S III for one week now and I have to say I am really enjoying it.

•Aesthetics - like the look and feel. I've read a lot of comments about the cheap plastic back...but when the back cover is on I don't see how you can tell. I think it is a beautiful phone. I have the white version.

•Screen - I do not use Auto Brightness - WAY too dark..but think the screen is bright crisp and clear and best of all HUGE.

•Hardware - Processor seems very fast and smooth. No issues with Hard Buttons yet. The 'soft' buttons are very easily 'accidently' pressed and can cause some heartburn. I can't wait to see all the accessories that will be coming.

•Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage
Good sound quality, phone pairs well with my Alpine car stereo, speakerphone seems fine.

•Overall User Interface (including TouchWiz)
I have had a bit of a learning curve coming from iOS but overall seems intuitive. I've never used a 'stock' Android phone so don't know the difference betwen that and TouchWiz. I tried out S Voice and got too many Network Errors - I have disabled S Voice. The Google Voice feature works very well for me...suprisingly so at times. I did use the S Share feature and it worked perfectly.

•Widgets
Still learning here. Just using the widgets as they came with the phone. Wish the Accuweater widget would update more frequently.

•Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
Seems similar to my iPhone 4. My market just went 4G and I did a side by side Speed Test 'test' and my 4G speed was many times faster than my wife's iPhone 4 speed. I spend 90% of my time in a Wi-Fi environment and having lost my unlimited data plan not sure how much use I will get out of 4G...but it sure is cool.

•GPS
No issues - worked as advertised. Have disabled the VZ Navigator.

•Social Networking
Don't do a whole lot of this - but like the Twitter app I'm using. Having really tested out any of the integration.

•Email/Calendar
E-mail....still evaluating. I did use K-9 mail during my first Android experience. I am using the stock App - no real complaints.

•Battery Life - Also stil evaluating - don't think it is quite as good as my previous phone - but does appear the phone can make it all day - which is all I need it to do. I can always charge in my car and in my office.

•Performance - Excellent

•Media (music, movies, DLNA) - Pandora, Spotify Audible all work just as well as on iOS. Have not tried out DLNA yet.

•Keyboard's - using stock keyboard...this may have to change. Not digging it. UPDATE 07/23/12 : Installed SwiftKey 3 over the weekend. Much better experience. Does an excellent job of prediction, typing speed increased dramtically!! Highly recommend.

•Camera (both still & video) - Very good. Need to try out Burst Mode. Might give it a try at my son's next baseball game.

•How the Galaxy S III compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)
Can't believe I'd ever leave the Apple camp...but I think I have. When I picked up my wife's iPhone 4 last night - it just seemed no where near as nice as my Galaxy. Smaller, thicker, the word that came to mind was 'clunkier'. Wonder what Jony Ives would think of that!

Compared to that original Motorola Droid - it is amazing how far Android and smartphones have come in such a short time.

•Disappointments (if any) - The phone does get hot. Not much bad to say at all.

Thanks for taking the time to read. If there are any 'on the fence' iPhone users I'd say "Go For it"!!!

Last edited:

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

My final review after returning my phone and playing with the wife's phone for the past week. If your feelings get hurt I am sorry. Just keeping it real.

The dimness of the screen is just too much to overlook. It's that bad and the reviews are pouring in on this issue.
The browser just sucks donkey balls. No text reflow even on a double tap. The reader option is god awful slow.

In a room, the screen is as good as they come.
Call quality is excellent!
Camera is great.
Build quality for me is that it feels cheap.
Battery is very good.
Music is good.
OS is smooth but not quite IOS.
Signal is just horrible. Very weak radio.
All in all it's a good phone. Is it worth upgrading from an iPhone or other top androids? I think not.

There you have it.

Peace
I certainly didn't get my feelings hurt but just remember your reality is not everyone's reality. I find the build quality is fine for the phone and have no issues with screen brightness. By the way I have not had ANY problems with the OS either. As far as signal is concerned I do get a weak signal but so does my wife's Razr so I know that's not a phone issue. I blame Verizon.
Regarding the browser there enough other choices available that I don't even use the native browser. I use either Dolphin or Chrome. Either works fine. That's the beauty of Android. There are choices.
Stay with your iPhone if that's what makes you happy. There is enough choice out there for everyone and every phone is not perfect for every person.

banger804

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
First impressions will be short and simple.
The phone is just not all that. 4G is spotty going back and forth. I live in full 4G area. The volume button just sucks. The browser is lousy. The screen indoors is gorgeous. Outside it's lousy. Call quality is great. The OS just isn't buttery smooth as others have said. Screen freezes now and then.

Bottom line, it's going back.

You got a bad phone then. My screen is amazing. I'm a cop..... I'm outside all day every day. I have never had a problem with the brightness of the screen. Even at 2pm in Va. The battery life is ok... Way better than my DROID x. The phone has never froze on me or been laggy.

FreezingD

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
2 weeks of use - my review

2 weeks with the phone now.... I am very pleased. It's not going back for sure. Came from a DInc... this is a MAJOR upgrade for sure. I pre-ordered it, was worried about the size of the phone compared to my old DInc, but now I don't see how I ever got along with such a small screen. It fits perfectly in my pocket, love the form factor. I even love the brushed metal look and the color. Using a Ringke SLIM Lite case to provide some protection and grip.

Display - I have no problem with the screen brightness. I have it set to about 80% and I am quite happy with it. A little washed out in direct sunlight, yes, but easy to see in the shade.

Phone - no issues, comparable to my old phone as far as call quality, speaker...etc

Touch Wiz - I'm learning to like it. May switch to another launcher if I get bored with it at some point.

Widgets - they are ok.. have downloaded other widget libraries.

Signal quality - 3G very comparable to DInc. LTE is fine. Not quite as good a signal as my co-worker's RAZR, but he likes my S3's display quality, form factor, and speed. Switching between 3G, Wifi and LTE is fast and seamless.

GPS - Lock in is fast as hell. Could not be happier with this.

Battery Life - Excellent. I return home after a long day at work with 50-60%. Could not ask for more!

Keyboard - Quickly replaced with Swiftkey

Camera and Video - No complaints. Very fast camera shutter.

Disappointments- Widget library is not as good as Sense. Still getting use to the home button. Easy to hit volume buttons by mistake. Wifi reminder is annoying but will root at some point in near future and remove it. Slippery without a case... but I never planned on leaving it naked!

It's a keeper! Samsung has a satisfied customer.

Reactions: Como4076

jnnyr

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 First Impressions/Reviews

Just coming up on 2 weeks with the phone.... So far I am very pleased.

I am coming from the original Droid X and this is a like going from a Ford to any Japanese car.

I pre-ordered it, so I got it very early but didn't activate it until I knew I had everything securely backed up. I swapped out the stock screen protector to one made for the phone and it is perfect. Have the two part case. It's a little tough getting in and out of the holster but I like the added protection. I actually own 4 in ear headphones (some very pricey and highly recommended one's) and I like the one's included perhaps more than all the others.

Without any case or protector the phone is very slippery so I would recommend using something.

Display - As I am coming from the largest screen out there the new size isn't much to get used to but the sharpness is very noticeable. I have no problem with the screen brightness. I have it set to about 80% and have turned off the power saver. A little hard to negotiate in direct sunlight but it's what you'd expect I suppose.

Call quality - no issues whatsoever, easily as good as my old motorola.

Touch Wiz - It's a little cumbersome but in all I like the smoothness and speed though that owes more to ICS.

Signal quality - I get a strong 4G connection and when I am in a remote area it seems like my 3G is faster than my old 3G reception. The few times it has had to switch between 3G, Wifi and LTE there was no issue at all.

GPS - does not lock on quickly indoors as others claim but when driving it does a good job.

Battery Life - Excellent. Not a single issue. Keep in mind it will take longer to charge than some of the older phones as it has a much greater capacity.

Keyboard - I am using Swiftkey as the stock was god awful.

Camera and Video - The Camera is excellent though the implementation of the HDR within the stock app does not work. The traditional HDR+ took 4 pics and combined the best aspects of each. This seems to take 2 pics and not comine them at all. I need to do more work with this to see if I am overlooking something. The camera is lightyears ahead of the Droid X. Haven't shot much video so the jury is still out.

Kinda bummed that Samsung didn't opt for an HDMI out. Not every TV will have a DLNA implementation. Not sure why they killed this ability.

There are a couple of hiccups but they may be application related and not phone related.

It is a huge leap forward for me coming from Froyo to ICS on one of the fastest phones available so I couldn't be happier. I'm sure I'm missing a thing or two but overall first impressions are good.

Reactions: Como4076

Kegs2015

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

Just purchased phone and reception is terrible. Stopped at Verizon store and they did a resync with the towers. Didn't help. Customer rep didn't once ask me to exchange for a different one, just told me to get a different one all together. Wife's incredible works fine and so does my work phone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech