US GS3 - No FM Radio

markhallyo

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
What is it with the US version? I mean we are already being made fun of by International users about our lack of the quad core and how theirs is better and faster. Then I keep hearing little things here and there that the Int.version has that ours doesn't. The FM radio being the latest. I also heard that our version does not have the video preview feature either. Why so many little neat features absent from our US version? Is there anything other than LTE that ours does that theirs (International) does not? I know these are little things but still they add up.

Where did you hear we don't have the popup feature? And there are plenty of videos showing the S4 just edging out the Exynos benchmark-wise, and that's honestly what the majority of people worry about on this site. The US versions also get 2GB of ram compared to 1GB, we have LTE capabilities, and the S4 and Exynos are performing almost identically. I don't see how anyone overseas can argue we are getting a worse phone? The only thing they have going for them that we don't is they already have the phone

bergg

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I had a Droid X from Motorola. I could put FM Radio app on it. Worked great. I can install many streaming radio apps.

THE PROBLEM IS: When I want to listen to Tiger baseball, or Lions or MI State Univ football etc. they DO NOT allow stations stream the content.

THEREFORE: I can get all the local college and major league spors on any FM radio turned to the local FM station carrying the game.

BUT: The station can NOT stream the game. So when I go to a local FM station that streams (with any streaming app), it says "We can not stream this game due to copyright laws" The teams want you to pay to hear the game on a pay to listen site.

That is why I need a local FM receiver in my Galaxy S3, I and many other fans who moved from Motorola to Samsung will be very pleased
when some make an FM radio app for Galaxy S3. I would glady PAY for this app.

Bob, wish I had an FM app, Bergg. Grand Rapids MI

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I had a Droid X from Motorola. I could put FM Radio app on it. Worked great. I can install many streaming radio apps.

THE PROBLEM IS: When I want to listen to Tiger baseball, or Lions or MI State Univ football etc. they DO NOT allow stations stream the content.

THEREFORE: I can get all the local college and major league spors on any FM radio turned to the local FM station carrying the game.

BUT: The station can NOT stream the game. So when I go to a local FM station that streams (with any streaming app), it says "We can not stream this game due to copyright laws" The teams want you to pay to hear the game on a pay to listen site.

That is why I need a local FM receiver in my Galaxy S3, I and many other fans who moved from Motorola to Samsung will be very pleased
when some make an FM radio app for Galaxy S3. I would glady PAY for this app.

Bob, wish I had an FM app, Bergg. Grand Rapids MI
The DROID X has an fm tuner (hardware), not just an app (software). I don't think the US SGS3 has the hardware/tuner, since we have a different processor and cell/data radios. In other words, there is no app that will create new hardware. There will not be a way to receive actual fm radio waves.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I was surprised by this too -- used the FM Radio to listen to morning show on my occasional bus ride to work (my commute method depends on what office I'm working in on any particular day). This particular route crosses over a few data "dead zones", so trying to stream anything is almost more annoying than having to be on a bus in the first place.

The sports broadcasts is another one. For example, whenever I go to Caps games, they actually broadcast the radio play-by-play in the arena, so if I don't have anyone to talk to during the game, I'd pop in one of my earbuds and get the play-by-play during the game (which can help when you're watching hockey from the upper deck). Sure, I could actually stream the game (NHL allows this for free, unlike other sports), but of course the stream doesn't matchup with live play, so it's worthless.
*Of course, the stinkin' lockout makes this point moot regardless

It would be nice to have, I was surprised it wasn't there, but I assumed that for whatever reason the tuner couldn't be fit into the form factor with the existing radios and hardware...? who knows? I'll live without it though, certainly not going back to the Thunderbolt!

Gord Paton

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
The problem with streaming in your music is it really drains the battery. With an FM radio app you don't have this issue. I had a GS1 and now the GS3. I miss the FM radio. Foot note, I'm from Canada ( Ontario) so it not just state side it happening to.

Neburs3

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't know the technical terms but I heard that one of the reasons why we don't have fm tuner is because it conflicts with 4G/LTE spectrum, one can't have it all I guess.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney