The List of things Verizon changed on the SIII

bmidd

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to see an area in the US where one carrier has excellent signal and another company has no signal in the same spot. Nothing ruins a forum faster than people with 10 posts starting threads about bull . Go to AT&T or T-Mobile. Stop the incessant whining or get a damn dumb phone and go back to pressing buttons multiple times for a damn letter.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to see an area in the US where one carrier has excellent signal and another company has no signal in the same spot. Nothing ruins a forum faster than people with 10 posts starting threads about bull . Go to AT&T or T-Mobile. Stop the incessant whining or get a damn dumb phone and go back to pressing buttons multiple times for a damn letter.

Spot on for my experience as well.

Not to mention regional carriers that focus in on one area and MVNOs that license networks from the big four.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So the good outweigh the bad? That's exactly the point. With everything in life you are going to compromise. So either they stick with Verizon enjoying the positive, while understanding some of Verizon practices are baffling or go somewhere else IF it's that big a deal.

Also your assumption is that a person has unlimited data which isn't the case with everyone and they have 4g coverage. So again, does the good outweigh the bad.

What I will say is, overall, Verizon has the best coverage. This isn't to say that in specific locations, that other carriers may have better coverage, but more that nationwide, Verizon is the best. And for that, I will not compromise. I want the best coverage because to me, a cell phone is first and foremost for use in case of emergencies where you might get stranded somewhere. So, I can deal with the quirks of Verizon so long as they have the best network.

Also, with regard to cost, Verizon is the cheapest for me and provides the most services that I use, among the major carriers. Having used att before, their service was more spotty than Verizon for my personal use, and my personal experience with att customer service is worse than with Verizon.

So personally, although Verizon has it's issues, it's the ONLY choice at this time for my needs.

and those that don't have unlimited data can still get unlimited data, but it will most likely cost you. just depends on how badly you want it.

obviously everyone's needs and priorities are different, so each person will have to make their own choices.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
So then you have to decide if all these things outweigh the network performance. If not might as well suck it up. Either that or actually see if you can get service from someone else without the hassle. Otherwise, again, suck it up. And of course they use it against us. All companies who believe and for the most part demonstrate they have a superior product do business the way they want. Companies who are inferior are not don't have that luxury. That's just business period. Not Verizon.

That's a copout. Why should we suck up crappy devices from a carrier just because their network has the best coverage and reliability for our needs?

Verizon certainly has a superior network. However, the devices they supply are subpar. Verizon bundles two products together, the network and the device, and it's impossible to buy the two separated and actually vote with our money.

Reactions: bigdaddytee

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Try West Virginia, rural areas of Virginia. Large parts of Maine. There are many places around that have a really strong carrier and minimal to no prescence from the others. Let's face it, there are plenty of people stuck with one carrier if they want coverage where they live and or work.

Reactions: pmoser

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
You sound like someone that should only use a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. But then again, you'd probably complain about updates taking too long.

Maybe you should just get a Galaxy Nexus from the Google Play Store (when they're available again) and pop in a SIM and be done with it.

No one is forcing you to be on Verizon.

It would be really great if we could buy a Galaxy Nexus from the Google Play Store and just put a Verizon sim into it. Unfortunately, Verizon is ultimately the only source to buy devices from and they exert too much control over them to the detriment of the customer experience. What the original poster is complaining about is totally valid.

Reactions: bigdaddytee

pmoser

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
To anyone saying switch from Verizon, try traveling frequently in the rural Nebraska. There is not even a second option in Nebraska unless you never leave the Omaha.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Stock+

Reactions: TimV28

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
To anyone saying switch from Verizon, try traveling frequently in the rural Nebraska. There is not even a second option in Nebraska unless you never leave the Omaha.

Page Plus doesn't work there?

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not whining, just trying to throw my opinion out there. I'm not an idiot of course I know I can use another provider, but where I am verizon has the best coverage and I get discounts through work. I'm just trying to voice my opinion. For me the locked boot loader is a big deal. I'm not a dev so it's not like i can try to make it work. I'm like a lot of users here and enjoy tweaking my phone. After all isn't that one of the benefits of the android platform?

I don't know why you guys are coming out so aggressively, but I'm sure some people feel the way I do about Verizon right now.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a little silly to say Verizon "screwed us over" because of a wifi toggle. It's not as if they took away the ability to turn on wifi.

It seems like some people get a little too caught up with the forums and fool themselves into overreacting to such nonsensical things. I see it with Apple bashing, bloat, touchwiz, motoblur, etc etc etc... and now over a wifi toggle. For lack of a better word, it's just lame.

But if someone truly honestly feels screwed over a toggle switch on a phone, I think they are screwing themselves over by not voting with their dollars.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Ry

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a little silly to say Verizon "screwed us over" because of a wifi toggle. It's not as if they took away the ability to turn on wifi.

It seems like some people get a little too caught up with the forums and fool themselves into overreacting to such nonsensical things. I see it with Apple bashing, bloat, touchwiz, motoblur, etc etc etc... and now over a wifi toggle. For lack of a better word, it's just lame.

But if someone truly honestly feels screwed over a toggle switch on a phone, I think they are screwing themselves over by not voting with their dollars.

I didn't just say Wi-fi toggle, that's not that bad, but a locked boot loader when all other variants aren't was pretty big for me

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For me the locked boot loader is a big deal. I'm not a dev so it's not like i can try to make it work. I'm like a lot of users here and enjoy tweaking my phone. After all isn't that one of the benefits of the android platform?

Looks like you made the wrong choice when choosing a phone.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not whining, just trying to throw my opinion out there. I'm not an idiot of course I know I can use another provider, but where I am verizon has the best coverage and I get discounts through work. I'm just trying to voice my opinion. For me the locked boot loader is a big deal. I'm not a dev so it's not like i can try to make it work. I'm like a lot of users here and enjoy tweaking my phone. After all isn't that one of the benefits of the android platform?

I don't know why you guys are coming out so aggressively, but I'm sure some people feel the way I do about Verizon right now.

I think you made a poor decision on word choice, which caused the outrage. "Screwed us over" is a bit overboard - no, VZW execs aren't sitting in a room thinking how can we screw our customers over. Maybe the thread title should have been "peeves of the phone"? .. you know, something more neutral?

I agree it sucks theres no wifi toggle. But hey, thats the phone I bought - I'll deal with it. I still have the option to turn on/off wifi the non-lazy way so its OK with me. Locked bootloader also sucks. Hopefully that issue will also be resolved soon. Neither of those are "screwing" me though.. just slight annoyances.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

It might be a bit silly to say Verizon "screwed us over" because of a wifi toggle, but they did interfere with Samsung's original design which impacts the user experience. The ongoing wifi notification in the notification bar is one particular irritating change that the Verizon pointy haired business executives requested to be in the device.

If this were the only instance of this kind of crap from Verizon, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Unfortunately, it hits the nerve of anyone that put up with their terrible phones for years until Apple finally wrestled much of the device control away from all the carriers and paved the way for the smartphone industry. Unfortunately, now that Android devices are popular and there are multiple manufacturers competing for device sales to carriers, carrier meddling is creeping back in and in bad ways.

Last edited:

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I think you made a poor decision on word choice, which caused the outrage. "Screwed us over" is a bit overboard - no, VZW execs aren't sitting in a room thinking how can we screw our customers over. Maybe the thread title should have been "peeves of the phone"? .. you know, something more neutral?

I agree it sucks theres no wifi toggle. But hey, thats the phone I bought - I'll deal with it. I still have the option to turn on/off wifi the non-lazy way so its OK with me. Locked bootloader also sucks. Hopefully that issue will also be resolved soon. Neither of those are "screwing" me though.. just slight annoyances.

I agree my word choice was poor your title would have been better for this thread

zack7687

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

Having traveled throughout the midwest I can agree 100%. You ever go to Omaha Lancers games? I was a referee for the USHL for the past 3 years. Lived in Omaha 3 years ago at 132nd and Maple in Tranquility Point Apartments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678