Inductive Charging on Verizon Model, Only?

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
What's false??? Seems to me you just said exactly the same thing as the Verizon blurb: "Wire-free charging! Simply place your LTE phone, equipped with a wireless charging battery cover (sold separately) down on the pad to begin wire-free charging!"

Your false, kidding. Sorry I missed the part in parentheses. However this sold separately cover is not yet available.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So after I read what the OP had posted, I got to wondering about the possibility that Verizon had Samsung make them a different phone in order for it to work with Verizon's charging pad...which is based off of a different inductive charging standard.

So I started lookin at the pics that were out there on the Touchstone mods that have been done and stumbled upon this. Two pair o contacts vs the one that everyone else has. What does this mean?
Click to view quoted image

Verizon system uses 4 contacts, it is the same on my rez and tb.

I tried the touchstone mod on the gs3 but couldn't get it to work following the att gs3 diagram.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That wireless pad from Verizon is a giant slab. I get they want every phone to work with it, but it's huge for what it needs to be. Not to mention, it makes a stupid sound every time something starts charging on it. I used it with my Bionic for about 2 days before I stopped using it.

undeniablyd

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Verizon now sells the back cover for the Galaxy S 3, I picked one up at a corporate store for $30.00. I'ts slightly thicker than the stock back panel as a result of additional components and does not fit in most aftermarket Galaxy S 3 cases (Verizon black kickstand holster and cruzer gel cases are a no go.) However the Pebble blue version has a slitghtly richer color and definately has a sturdy feel over the stock back panel.

Last edited:

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S III for Verizon Wireless review -- Engadget

I was reading the Engadget review of the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (see link above), and it said something interesting:

"You're going to see one key difference here that doesn't apply to the other Galaxy S III models we've reviewed thus far: a set of shiny contacts for inductive charging. Verizon's been purveying of wireless power for over a year now by incorporating golden contacts into almost every LTE phone in its lineup. Aside from this unique feature, everything else remains the same as its GSM counterparts (Sprint's GSIII is different in that it utilizes an embedded SIM card)."

I was thinking that ALL Samsung Galaxy S3 phones would have some kind of wireless charging capability. Is it that the Verizon model will have the traditional inductive charging as well as the "resonance" wireless capability that was touted at the Samsung Galaxy S3 "Reveal" Event?

All the gs3 has that.my sprint version has those contacts

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Tampaguy75

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Attached is a photo of the Verizon inductive back cover, which shows connection points to both the Verizon exclusive contacts as well as the standard contacts that are featured on all Galaxy S3 phones. I presume the Verizon back cover is fabricated this way so that the cover will work with Verizon specific inductive chargers as well as the ones that will be coming out from Samsung.

VerizonInductivecover.jpg

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Verizon now sells the back cover for the Galaxy S 3, I picked one up at a corporate store for $30.00. I'ts slightly thicker than the stock back panel as a result of additional components and does not fit in most aftermarket Galaxy S 3 cases (Verizon black kickstand holster and cruzer gel cases are a no go.) However the Pebble blue version has a slitghtly richer color and definately has a sturdy feel over the stock back panel.

I just bought one, too. Haven't had a chance to try out the charging pad yet but the new back is definitely a bit thicker and adds a small but noticeable amount of weight. I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time but I was surprised at first. I'll report back on how well it works.

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I just bought one, too. Haven't had a chance to try out the charging pad yet but the new back is definitely a bit thicker and adds a small but noticeable amount of weight. I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time but I was surprised at first. I'll report back on how well it works.

Works good except for the pop up that appears each time you place it on the charge pad. I like the fact that it adds some weight to the phone (makes it feel "more solid" and not as plasticy).

TAPPED in on my locked bootloader Verizon S3

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I might buy one...but Im using a slim fitting rock case that I really really like. I dont know that I want to give that up to buy this. I already have the charging pad that Ive used with my last two phones.....Hmmm. :-\

hakoreh

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
what I need is a CASE that will also charge the battery. Because who wants to take their phone out of the snug fitting case every time to charge it?

Tampaguy75

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
To those who are concerned about cases -- if you do buy the inductive back cover, you will probably not be able to use your existing case -- the phone gets a little thicker and renders most cases unusable.

The inductive charger will work with a case installed, though. So if your case fits, it will charge without having to remove it.

rickmktg

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
In addition to my Galaxy S3, I have an HP Touchpad hacked with Android, and an HP Touchstone charging dock (for the Touchpad, see attachment). This isn't the Touchstone that works with Palm Pre phones.

I see that Verizon is/will be selling both a cover that hits both sets of contacts as well as their own charging pad, which I've read makes annoying beeps when it starts charging, and when the phone is fully charged (i.e. 2, 3 AM). Then it sometimes turns off, then turns back on an hour or two later when the phone is charged and beeps again. Or, doesn't turn back on and the phone discharges.

What I'm wondering, and not easily finding an answer, is whether the Touchstone dock is compatible with the Verizon backplate, i.e. I put on that back cover and then put my phone on my Touchstone dock (which doesn't beep...).

I've found info on the Qi standard, it appears that the Touchstone doesn't comply with it, but I can't find info on what standard Verizon's back cover is.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Works good except for the pop up that appears each time you place it on the charge pad. I like the fact that it adds some weight to the phone (makes it feel "more solid" and not as plasticy).

TAPPED in on my locked bootloader Verizon S3

The pop up goes away by itself, so I simply ignore it. What I don't need is the high-pitched beep the charging pad emits when I set the phone down on it (but I do see *why* they made it like that - if the phone is on silent and you don't notice the screen come on, it's possible to miss the sweet spot and not get the phone in the right place to charge).

I think it's a cool feature but I'm not 100% convinced yet that it's worth the expense and the inability to use most phone cases. But it is nice to be able to quickly set the phone down, charge, and pick it up & go without worrying about cables, stressing the USB port, having someone trip over cords, and everything else you can think of when you've got a cable dangling off the end of your phone.

I may put a skin on the battery door - like a Zagg or Ghost Armor - to add some durability and grip to the back cover since I don't have a case that fits. Not sure I'm totally ready to go buck naked on this phone yet.

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
In addition to my Galaxy S3, I have an HP Touchpad hacked with Android, and an HP Touchstone charging dock (for the Touchpad, see attachment). This isn't the Touchstone that works with Palm Pre phones.

I see that Verizon is/will be selling both a cover that hits both sets of contacts as well as their own charging pad, which I've read makes annoying beeps when it starts charging, and when the phone is fully charged (i.e. 2, 3 AM). Then it sometimes turns off, then turns back on an hour or two later when the phone is charged and beeps again. Or, doesn't turn back on and the phone discharges.

What I'm wondering, and not easily finding an answer, is whether the Touchstone dock is compatible with the Verizon backplate, i.e. I put on that back cover and then put my phone on my Touchstone dock (which doesn't beep...).

I've found info on the Qi standard, it appears that the Touchstone doesn't comply with it, but I can't find info on what standard Verizon's back cover is.
I haven't tested to see if the charging pad beeps when charging is complete (apparently if it does I've slept through it). I'll try to find some time to test it out.

I haven't read anywhere yet what the difference is between Verizon's solution and Samsung's solution, or why the VZW model seems to have two sets of charging contacts. The new battery door clearly appears to be made by Samsung, so my best guess is that the Verizon model has support for two different charging standards - one for whatever Verizon was already selling for their other phones and one for Samsung's upcoming wireless charge products.

So unless the upcoming generic Samsung wireless charger battery cover for the GS3 is significantly thinner than the Verizon version of the battery cover, the Verizon solution seems like the best choice as it would likely work with the widest variety of charging plates.

All speculation though for now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12