The ringers... Good Lord, the Ringers...

TemporalBeef

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Love my new GS3... hate hate HATE the ringers and notifications. Anyone know where I might be able to pick up dumps of other devices ringtones and notifications sounds, kind of like I see with wallpapers when a new device comes out?

And yes, I know I can make my own, and yes, I know I can use music files. But I want my device to sound like a phone, not an mp3 player.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Love my new GS3... hate hate HATE the ringers and notifications. Anyone know where I might be able to pick up dumps of other devices ringtones and notifications sounds, kind of like I see with wallpapers when a new device comes out?

And yes, I know I can make my own, and yes, I know I can use music files. But I want my device to sound like a phone, not an mp3 player.
Seriously? Not a single just-plain-phone ringtone at all? That's disappointing. I've only found one acceptable ringtone and two acceptable notification tones on my RAZR MAXX. The rest are thoroughly unprofessional, and it sounds like the GSIII is even worse!

TemporalBeef

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? Not a single just-plain-phone ringtone at all? That's disappointing. I've only found one acceptable ringtone and two acceptable notification tones on my RAZR MAXX. The rest are thoroughly unprofessional, and it sounds like the GSIII is even worse!

Well, they took the "designed by nature" thing a little too far, so everything sounds like something that came from a jungle tribe or a hippie yoga instructor :D

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah, the ringers and notifications definitely blow. I'm thinking I may pull the ones from my Thunderbolt when I get a chance.

48dodge

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I used the alarm this morning and that was a pretty decent thing to wake up to. I've carried over my old faithful ring tone that I made from a James Brown song. Yeah hard to believe there's nothing resembling a real ring. Notification options are odd, too.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, they took the "designed by nature" thing a little too far, so everything sounds like something that came from a jungle tribe or a hippie yoga instructor :D
That's insane! I mean, I appreciate the "designed by nature" idea - the rippling water effects and outdoorsy wallpapers. But to screw with ringtones and notifications is just plain nutty.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree! The ring tones and message tones are horrible. In real life situations, they just won't be loud enough in an outdoor environment. Good thing I've been saving/collecting ring tones and notification tones for the last 2/3 years since Eclair, lol! Zedge has AWESOME notification tones. Mabilo used to have the BEST ringtones but its not available anymore. Just look for system dumps online and grab the tones from them. Thats what I've done in the past and still carry with me today! :)

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Go into the play store and get a free app called " Nostalgic Phone". Has a bunch of basic phone ringer tones. I like an old fashined ringer for calls myself.

VetteDude

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree! The ring tones and message tones are horrible. In real life situations, they just won't be loud enough in an outdoor environment. Good thing I've been saving/collecting ring tones and notification tones for the last 2/3 years since Eclair, lol! Zedge has AWESOME notification tones. Mabilo used to have the BEST ringtones but its not available anymore. Just look for system dumps online and grab the tones from them. Thats what I've done in the past and still carry with me today! :)

How do you snag tones off a phone? I would love to take my Fascinate ringers with me.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
How do you snag tones off a phone? I would love to take my Fascinate ringers with me.

They should be stored under system/media/. You can either copy the ringtones and notifications folder with a file explorer or use the adb pull command if you have it set up on your computer.

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site

The method I use doesn't require root, but still gets to the root of the device. get AndroZIP and open it.

Go to the parent folder of the sdcard.

Go to system > media > audio.

Now just use AndroZIP to copy them to a reachable partition from USB.

Here's the GNex ringtones I promised:

Pyxis sounds the most like a phone, but Andromeda also sorta sounds like ringing.

EDIT: If you guys want ALL the Gnex ringtones, notifications and alarms, just let me know.