Vibration quirk

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
My only major issue with this phone is the vibration settings. Not sure if this just a bug on my phone or something that is normal.

I absolutely HATE the "basic call" vibration setting for text messages. It is ridiculously long and a bit overkill. With that said, I went to the Sounds menu under the general settings and changed it since there is no option to pick (that I could find) in the stock SMS app. So I change it to "heartbeat" yet when I get a text, it is STILL the "basic call" vibration pattern. However, now my phone calls - which I WANT to be the "basic call" pattern are now "heartbeat."

Is there no way to change the text vibration pattern? Is this just a bug on my phone? Or am I just completely overlooking what I'm supposed to do?

I had an Incredible before and loved how it differentiated between calls and text messages (calls = 1 long vibration; text messages = 2 short ones)

Reactions: jdot104

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
My only major issue with this phone is the vibration settings. Not sure if this just a bug on my phone or something that is normal.

I absolutely HATE the "basic call" vibration setting for text messages. It is ridiculously long and a bit overkill. With that said, I went to the Sounds menu under the general settings and changed it since there is no option to pick (that I could find) in the stock SMS app. So I change it to "heartbeat" yet when I get a text, it is STILL the "basic call" vibration pattern. However, now my phone calls - which I WANT to be the "basic call" pattern are now "heartbeat."

Is there no way to change the text vibration pattern? Is this just a bug on my phone? Or am I just completely overlooking what I'm supposed to do?

I had an Incredible before and loved how it differentiated between calls and text messages (calls = 1 long vibration; text messages = 2 short ones)

I disabled texting on my account (yay goog voice!) but I'd hope there's a separate setting somewhere. My battery's dead (I like to go through one full power cycle on day one) so I can't check right now. Is there a Messaging submenu under settings? Or, try looking for a settings menu on different pages of the stock app if there are any.

If not, I always recommend giving Handcent a try. Those notifications are crazy-customizable, so I bet you can get what you want from them. Just remember to turn off notifications in the stock app, or you'll get double-notified of any incoming texts. It took me days to figure out what was going on!

Reactions: wowpaw

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I disabled texting on my account (yay goog voice!) but I'd hope there's a separate setting somewhere. My battery's dead (I like to go through one full power cycle on day one) so I can't check right now. Is there a Messaging submenu under settings? Or, try looking for a settings menu on different pages of the stock app if there are any.

If not, I always recommend giving Handcent a try. Those notifications are crazy-customizable, so I bet you can get what you want from them. Just remember to turn off notifications in the stock app, or you'll get double-notified of any incoming texts. It took me days to figure out what was going on!
There is a submenu but it just asks if you want vibration - not what type of vibration! :-\

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

i thought in the sound settings there was one for calls and one for notifications. i don't think you can differentiate between email and text but that should differentiate between calls and text.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
i thought in the sound settings there was one for calls and one for notifications. i don't think you can differentiate between email and text but that should differentiate between calls and text.

I may be missing what you are referring to. Can you please tell me the path to get to this? There are differences for SOUNDS between the two, but NOT vibration patterns that I can see. I'm really hoping I'm just overlooking this because I do not need "Basic call" for my text and Gmail.

Even just differentiating between call and text/email would be fine as I'd make the latter very short and concise.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
If there's a way to set different vibrate styles for calls and texts, I can't find it. There's no option for different vibrations in the sounds settings, only for different sounds for notifications vs. calls. This just seems to obvious of a feature to overlook...

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
If there's a way to set different vibrate styles for calls and texts, I can't find it. There's no option for different vibrations in the sounds settings, only for different sounds for notifications vs. calls. This just seems to obvious of a feature to overlook...

Agreed. Matter fact, I can't even change my text vibrate pattern. It's ALWAYS "Basic call" regardless of what I put the ringer as.

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this today as well and was looking for a way around it. I glad to see I'm not alone.

On a side note - the ability to create your own vibration ring tones is very cool. Maybe all Samsung phones have this but it's the first time I've ever seen it. Too bad I can't get my much shorter vibration to work with text messages.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah its horrible. Last night, just as I was about to fall asleep, I get an email that damn near shook my entire nightstand. Then right after, another earthquake when I got a text.

Papadakis

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Alright this has to be a bug in the software.

Settings>Device>Sound>Ringtone and notifications>device vibration - just sets the vibration for incoming calls from what I've seen and doesn't affect text notifications.

In the text settings when I turn on Vibrate(Also when notified -Always) and have a ringtone for the notification, it only does the long regular call vibrate...but no tone even though the phone isnt on silent. something's screwed up. I hope I explained that right...:p

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Alright this has to be a bug in the software.

Settings>Device>Sound>Ringtone and notifications>device vibration - just sets the vibration for incoming calls from what I've seen and doesn't affect text notifications.

In the text settings when I turn on Vibrate(Also when notified -Always) and have a ringtone for the notification, it only does the long regular call vibrate...but no tone even though the phone isnt on silent. something's screwed up. I hope I explained that right...:p

I really hope Samsung decides to update this and separate notification and call vibration patterns; and not just lump it into one

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
This isn't exactly what we're all looking for... you can give each individual contact a different vibrate pattern. But even with this, there doesn't seem to be a way to differentiate between call and message.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
This isn't exactly what we're all looking for... you can give each individual contact a different vibrate pattern. But even with this, there doesn't seem to be a way to differentiate between call and message.
For calls right? I'm more or less looking to change the vibration for texts only.. the calls is fine with "Basic call"

CD1X

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
in the sound settings theres an option for vibration intensity....click that and you will be able to change the vibration patterns for calls and notifications.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
in the sound settings theres an option for vibration intensity....click that and you will be able to change the vibration patterns for calls and notifications.

That is intensity, not the pattern. That just means how hard it shakes, but does not control the length of the shake.

Tb311

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I came from an incredible too with CM7 and this is getting a little annoying. I heard there is an app called light flow that will supposedly let you configure this but right now it doesn't fully support the GS3.

TonyXL

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
+1. It seems like a bug. Annoying to get the long buzz, then you wait to see if it's a call our just a message.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I came from an incredible too with CM7 and this is getting a little annoying. I heard there is an app called light flow that will supposedly let you configure this but right now it doesn't fully support the GS3.

I think lightflow only controls the LED and not the vibration patterns. Although I may be wrong since I've yet to install it (waiting for them to fix it for North American S3's)