Too big?

Dave4321

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I found the the physical buttons difficult to stretch to use. Especially holding down the home button. So I found these apps. Except for home button functionality, you need root. You don't need to use all of these. Button Savior has all of the functions, but I find using a combination easier.

I use Wave Launcher and put the Home Button app and Multitask Shortcut (Shows as Recent Apps in app drawer) on it for easy access to both. I also use Virtual Button and Button Savoir on opposite sides (for right and left hand use).

You can also try GMD Gesture Control, but it doesn't play well with Swype.

socialillz

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
First of all let me say this phone is amazing. Loving it big time. But on the issue of phone size I do find it a tad uncomfortable. Not enough to get annoyed though. I'm right handed so As I type this message on the S3, I'm holding the phone in my left hand and typing with my right index finger. That's how I do much of the things with the phone.

It's a little uncomfortable if I hold the phone in my right hand and try to navigate the phone with my right thumb. There's no way I can pull down the notification bar and then hit the home button afterwards in one smooth motion of the thumb. I find my fingers losing grip on the side as my thumb is reaching towards the home button or notification bar.

Btw I'm 6ft tall with big hands.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It's too big to use one handed. I'm a guy with average sized hands and still find it uncomfortable trying to reach everything with my thumb. Use two hands and you'll be fine.

Yup! Same here!

Just yesterday, I'm on the train trying to just use one hand to do things and find my thumb not reaching the far side of the screen. I just grab the phone with my left hand and touch the screen with my right hand. Feels more secure from falls and someone grabbing/ripping it out of my hand!

monkeypunch35

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This phone makes me want a Note 2 even more :)

Korean S3 Quad Core with 2GB RAM plus 5.5ish inch screen... drool.

PS: I watch a lot of WatchESPN and Indycar on my phone, and coming from a Bionic, the S3 has a far superior screen in terms of size and quality. The S3 is MUCH clearer with out nearly as much lag.

48dodge

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I was worried about the size since I knew it was larger than my wife's rezound and much larger than my incredible. It fits my hand very well though. Doesn't feel much larger than the dinc. And feels smaller than the rezound. I'm able to do most things with one hand and don't feel cramped when I'm required to use both.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I was worried about the size of the display making the phone too large. I was pleasantly surprised to see that was not the case when I took it out of the box. The phone is pretty much just screen, making the device fit comfortably in your hand as well as in your pocket, especially since it is so thin. The only issue I have with one handed operation is occasionally accidentally hitting the capacitive back button with my palm when reaching for the left side of the screen.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
It's too big to use one handed. [...] Use two hands and you'll be fine.

I'm a girl and it fits perfectly in my hands.. It isn't too big at all and I thought it would be haha

Well I am a woman with small hands and this [...] is not to big for me. I love it:)

Sent from my white, sexy S3.

[...]
Oh, and I find that using it in one hand isn't that hard for me, although I find it's a little thing to grip comfortably in one hand

I'm in the camp of the bigger the better

I will concede one handed operation is tough however

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

zomg lol

sorry, someone had to.

Reactions: timato

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Thumb typing one handed on the S3 is not as easy as on the Fascinate (and I have probably average sized or slightly larger hands) so if you used to do that a lot with your previous phone you might have to adjust to a different pattern. The phone chassis itself is large but its edges are rounded enough to compensate, it is very comfortable.

Overall, I am pretty picky about gadgets but I think the phone is not "too big" at all once I adjusted my habits to accommodate the new form factor. After a few days, I am very satisfied with the upgrade.

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
6'5 280 with 10inch hands + 4.8 inch phone is the perfect combo in addition this is the ONLY phone on Verizon that shows NFL Mobile in true HD.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I thought it might seem oversized coming from a Fascinate, but it has been great. Very elegant design, so you really don't notice the size difference. Typing is definitely easier and more accurate on this.

fascinatej

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Had the fascinate and had no problem adjusting to the size of this phone , love the home button. Have no complaints
Whatsoever. - woman with extremely small hands

snork

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
You just have to get used to it really. I'd say by the time your worry free guarantee is up (14 days), you'll know if its too big for you. When I went from a dumbphone to blackberry storm and then storm to droid x, and now droid x to gs3 I felt the same way, but within a week, I was fine with it. Go fondle a GS3 in stores.. see how you it feels.

sspediacci

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I love the feel of it in my hands. I wasn't for the DROID X feel and the iPhone was so small it felt cramped. I'm in love with this phone so far.

laurel25

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
It's a bit too big for me, but I have really small hands. I can't type one handed on it at all and have trouble holding it in one hand and hitting the home button. I'm also finding that I'm not fond of the physical home button.

sspediacci

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
6'4" with large hands and can type easily with one hand, but almost always type/use the phone two-handed. Even with an iPhone I generally typeD with two hands because it's much quicker than one hand.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance