WiFi losing connection at random, needing toggle to reconnect?

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: WiFi losing connection at random, needing toggle to reconnect

Judge, so WPA personal in conjunction with WPA Only below that didn't work?

Sadly no, it did not work. I tried multiple combinations. An actually when I rebooted with it in WPA personal with WPA only it would give me trouble reconnecting.

An of course I have been through the Samsung help. That is worse than a joke. They just give canned responses, keep repeating what to do and not read that you have actually done what they have suggested.

I just wondering. Visual voice mail, it craps out when Wi-Fi is on. An it fights for connection. Humm...... just wondering.

scuba561

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

Dammit...after like 2 weeks of no issues, I got home Saturday and it wouldn't connect (gave me the "wifi network out of range" message). Had to toggle it off and on again.

I'm in the habit of periodically checking to make sure I'm on it. Of course, my wife's white S3 hasn't had an issue at all, but I check hers too since she probably wouldn't notice.

How strange. Same thing happened to me. After switching to static I have had no problems- untilled yesterday. Had to toggle wifi twice to get a connection. This happened while sitting 10 feet from my router.
Really a pain in the a$$.

scuba561

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

I have the same problem and have visual voice mail disabled.

billsfan2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

I asked the Verizon tech whether to put mine on static or not and he recommended not to. If you get the right tech who can go over your router options, that seems the way to solve Wi-Fi issues if they only occur at home.

scuba561

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

I asked the Verizon tech whether to put mine on static or not and he recommended not to. If you get the right tech who can go over your router options, that seems the way to solve Wi-Fi issues if they only occur at home.

That brings up a good question. For the people who are having this problem, does it happen only at home or other places as well?

I pretty much only use wifi while at my house. There is a lot of great 4g reception around where I live, so when away from my house (where the 4g connectivity is not so good) I use 4g.

How about other people?

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

That brings up a good question. For the people who are having this problem, does it happen only at home or other places as well?

I pretty much only use wifi while at my house. There is a lot of great 4g reception around where I live, so when away from my house (where the 4g connectivity is not so good) I use 4g.

How about other people?

I am often at Star Bucks coffee shop and I to be honest have not been their long enough to notice. I will be keeping track of this and report back. I cannot help wonder about the Visual Voice mail as I suggested above. Do all having this problem have Visual Voice mail?

EDIT:

My trouble is with a 6GB limit a month and LTE service I always use that instead of a much slower Wi-Fi service. With the exception of my house where I barely get "Edge" But again I will make a point of going Wi-Fi when sitting down for a long cup of joe. (LTE avg. 21down and 8 up).

Last edited:

liquidhotmckma

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

Verizon told me to put my phone into airplane mode then take it out. Why I should have to do this to connect is beyond me since I pay for an unlimited data package that cost an arm and a leg. It seems to work for a few minutes then it craps out. Although my phone is a the Samsung Droid Charge not the Galaxy which btw is the dumbest Smart Phone ever manufactured or produced by Samsung. I'm not so sure that this a faulty hardware issue that needs to be resolved by Samsung. It appears to be prevailant in more than one smart phone they manufacture.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

This has happened to me at home just like many of you. I am now on day 4 of a hotel stay, unsecured wireless and the same thing is happening. I don't remember this happening at all until about 10 days ago. I had changed my setting to always awake only when charging. I just changed it back to always awake. We'll see if that makes a difference. I am on an unlimited plan, so it's not about the data usage, just more about battery life and the fact that it should work properly.

scuba561

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

I am often at Star Bucks coffee shop and I to be honest have not been their long enough to notice. I will be keeping track of this and report back. I cannot help wonder about the Visual Voice mail as I suggested above. Do all having this problem have Visual Voice mail?

No visual voice mail for me. I DO have wifi issues, so do not think we can tie the issue to visual voice mail.

Reactions: judge34411

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Again tonight....I'm rebooting to see if it helps Odd how I went like two weeks thinking I fixed it and now the problem is back...with a vengeance....starring Bruce Willis.

I really shouldn't have to manually check to make sure I'm on my wifi. They have to roll out an update for this soon.

yanks4life

May 14, 2010
Visit site

I am having the same problem guys if I have my phone off for awhile when I return to it it will be on 4g and have to manual connect back to wifi, and it never fails every morning after a nights charge in my bedroom its on 4G when I unlock it and it says poor connection and need to reconnect.

I tried getting this app called Wifi Fixer in the app store and all it helps with is just auto reconnecting when it jumps off instead of having to do it manual, but it resets wifi to do it. So don't really know how much of a help it is.

Something really needs to be done with this because I only have 2GB plan right now and I don't want to be on 4G while at home wasting data when I don't have to be. I can't even select Static and save it in options. I wonder if its my router sometimes as I have a new top of line Linksys N which is dual band.

Well any suggestions are welcome again!!!!

scuba561

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

I am having the same problem guys if I have my phone off for awhile when I return to it it will be on 4g and have to manual connect back to wifi, and it never fails every I wonder if its my router sometimes as I have a new top of line Linksys N which is dual band.

Well any suggestions are welcome again!!!!

I had a Belkin 2.4ghz router and the S3 had wifi issues we have been discussing. I upgraded my router to Amped dual band- same problem. My xoom tablet and my original droid incredible have no issue with the routers. I really do not think this is an issue with anybody's router. It has to be a phone issue. I just HOPE it can be fixed in software!

billsfan2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

For everyone's sake I hope so too. Even though mine is now working fine at home, a device should not be this finicky.

The point of Wi-Fi is to be able to use it anywhere that has it.

p.s., not using visual voicemail and home router so far was only place with problem. Could not recreate in Verizon store. Had multiple issues...would lose connection, would say out of range even if closeby, wouldn't always connect, and sometimes would say connected and could play words w friends but not bring up any web pages. Weird!.

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site

Im having a similar problem but i dont have to toggle as i have it set to automatically connect when in range. Unfortunately i am losing connection and reconnecting every minute or so. My droid x does the same exact thing. Aggravating to say the least.

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Well as promised, connected Wi-Fi at Star Bucks same problem. An I concur with above statement, that this is the phone or software on phone at issue. Not our routers. I to have multiple items including 2 other phones, an Iphone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy SII HD and nothing else is having problems staying connected. Just my SIII

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I've had the problem on a least 5 networks I regularly connect to. Definitely something with the phone. No problems with any of my other devices or previous phone.

Have no idea what's wrong, but I hope they fix it.

craigf#AC

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Any further progress/news on this? I'm seeing this issue of intermittent non-connects on several Wi-Fi networks on both my and my wife's new GSIIIs. Turning Wi-Fi off and then back on _usually_ fixes it, but not always...sometimes requires doing that 2 or 3 times before a solid connection will be established.

If it requires new Sammy software, October can't come soon enough. Of course, maybe that update will come with JB (a guy can dream).

scuba561

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

Any further progress/news on this? I'm seeing this issue of intermittent non-connects on several Wi-Fi networks on both my and my wife's new GSIIIs. Turning Wi-Fi off and then back on _usually_ fixes it, but not always...sometimes requires doing that 2 or 3 times before a solid connection will be established.

If it requires new Sammy software, October can't come soon enough. Of course, maybe that update will come with JB (a guy can dream).

With setting my IP to static, seems I need to toggle wifi once every 2nd or 3rd day. So, while it is better, it is still not working the way it should.

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

This might be solved with a software update (lets hope). What worries me even more. I have an Iphone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy SII LTE HD and in the lower corner of house (furthest away from router) they both show full Wi-fi signal strength (less one bar). My SIII barely shows 1 dot. an that will even drop off. So lets see.

Curious if others have noticed this?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

This might be solved with a software update (lets hope). What worries me even more. I have an Iphone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy SII LTE HD and in the lower corner of house (furthest away from router) they both show full Wi-fi signal strength (less one bar). My SIII barely shows 1 dot. an that will even drop off. So lets see.

Curious if others have noticed this?

^ nah, but bars are meaningless between devices (because 4 bars on one device doesn't = 4 bars on another device). You need a signal meter that'll tell you what kind of reception you're getting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2