Returning the S III - Back to rooted GNexus

Are you keeping or returning the S III

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I fully understand the OP and where he is coming from. I don't have the S3 or a Nexus, and I am also debating on getting an S3 or just waiting a few months for the next Nexus.

The S3 will get JB when Samsung ports it to the next TouchWiz, that'll take at least 6 months if not more, and it won't look anything like JB. I am following the bootloader issue closely, there's no guarantee it will get cracked soon, this took many months for earlier phones.

If someone is happy with the Nexus, its better to wait a few months, then evaluate again - the root situation as well as new options.

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
This is a perfect example of different uses for a phone can decide it's value from person to person. I NEVER use the phone camera and could care less about it. That had nothing to do with getting or keeping any phone for me. I understand and respect your position but it does not relate to me.

Maybe you never use it because it sucks.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
For me, the better camera and sd card slot trump jb on the Nexus. I don't root or use custom roms, so it's not an issue for me.

The camera is the deciding factor, however.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

LOL

And here I am with a BA in English!! Didn't even catch that typo and I usually try to go through and catch those types of things!

I can understand why people will keep this phone, I had to give it a lot of thought because there are so many thing that I do like about it. But, I just can't get past that locked bootloader.

As for the camera, someone mentioned that maybe I didn't use it because it was so bad. Well, that's not the case. I don't use phone cameras, not on the GN, not on any phone that I've had, so I don't care at all about how good or bad the camera is on the phone.

Been checking in here today after the Panda made his post. Problem is, he then backed off that post with a "maybe". That's not good enough for me. If the S III ever gets unlocked I'll buy it again, but I'm not keeping this one in hopes that "maybe" it will get unlocked.

One weird thing is that I thought that I might not even root this phone, but once I had it in hand, and having experienced JB on my Nexus, I knew that I wouldn't be satisfied or happy with a stock phone.

I posted just two or three weeks ago a thread about why I would be staying with Verizon, but I have to admit that I'm they're pushing me hard on this one. I'm holding that option open also. They just keep pissing me off and I'm tired of it. My problem is where we live. The options are only Verizon or Sprint. That's a hard one to swallow. I might have considered ATT but they don't even offer service here. Sprint's coverage just isn't up to par here and Verizon has Kansas covered. As ticked off as I am with Verizon, I don't think it's a good idea to cut off my nose to spite my face (as the old saying goes). If I lived anywhere near a larger city I would be gone from VZW, but I don't and so here I still am.

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Granted I hadn't use an Android phone before for any length of time, but I am happy with my S3 so far. When I ordered I was considering the GN, but ultimately the camera and lack of SD card slot gave the edge to the S3. With both I worried about living with the size, which I am getting used to slowly on the S3. I need to order a car mount tonight and then I think I'll appreciate the size more when I can get Waze in my field of vision.

Plus I had to burn my upgrade on something. I took the max I could from Verizon basically by getting the S3. If in two months I decide I really can't live with this thing, I am sure I can sell it for a decent chunk of change to use towards something else. Most people out there won't care about the bootloader. I think I can probably go on just fine after rooting it to open up some apps I've been reading about.

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say the SGS3's camera is something to brag about, either... It may be 8 megapixels, but I think the GNEX takes better pictures.

I have to say, the GNex does not take better pictures - looking at the detail, the noise levels at low light levels, color reproduction, etc., there's no doubt in my mind that the S3 takes much better pictures. HD videos on the S3 blow the Nexus' out of the water.

Switched from the GNex to S3 after going through too many GNex devices - all except one having to do with faulty hardware (I know, the S3 is still a Samsung, but I have to say it is much better built than the Nexus, in my opinion). The last one could not hold a signal whatsoever, so I took a leap of faith and switched to the S3. I see much better signal strength on it in my area compared to my Nexus.

As far as locked bootloader goes, I had the ThunderBolt, and it was just a matter of time before there was a workaround for it. Yeah, it does suck that Verizon was the only carrier that locked the bootloader, but again, it's just a matter of time.

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
LOL

And here I am with a BA in English!! Didn't even catch that typo and I usually try to go through and catch those types of things!

I can understand why people will keep this phone, I had to give it a lot of thought because there are so many thing that I do like about it. But, I just can't get past that locked bootloader.

As for the camera, someone mentioned that maybe I didn't use it because it was so bad. Well, that's not the case. I don't use phone cameras, not on the GN, not on any phone that I've had, so I don't care at all about how good or bad the camera is on the phone.

Been checking in here today after the Panda made his post. Problem is, he then backed off that post with a "maybe". That's not good enough for me. If the S III ever gets unlocked I'll buy it again, but I'm not keeping this one in hopes that "maybe" it will get unlocked.

One weird thing is that I thought that I might not even root this phone, but once I had it in hand, and having experienced JB on my Nexus, I knew that I wouldn't be satisfied or happy with a stock phone.

I posted just two or three weeks ago a thread about why I would be staying with Verizon, but I have to admit that I'm they're pushing me hard on this one. I'm holding that option open also. They just keep pissing me off and I'm tired of it. My problem is where we live. The options are only Verizon or Sprint. That's a hard one to swallow. I might have considered ATT but they don't even offer service here. Sprint's coverage just isn't up to par here and Verizon has Kansas covered. As ticked off as I am with Verizon, I don't think it's a good idea to cut off my nose to spite my face (as the old saying goes). If I lived anywhere near a larger city I would be gone from VZW, but I don't and so here I still am.

I just put Bugless Beast Jelly Bean on my Nexus, and I must say it's much better than ICS. Project Butter really makes transitions a lot faster. It just seems a lot smoother. Google Now search is really incredibly fast, and S Voice has nothing on it. Made me kind of want to go back to the Nexus, then I remembered I do use the camera quite often and the signal issues I have were not cutting it for me.

I've considered going to another carrier after the horrible customer service experience I have been receiving ever since I purchased my Nexus back in December. It really seems like Verizon doesn't give two s about their customers anymore. They just keep finding ways to nickel and dime us - from their ridiculous upgrade fees to their new Share Everything plans which are ridiculously expensive compared to what we pay now. I know I can take my business elsewhere, but Verizon has the best network out there and have been rapidly expanding their LTE coverage and I would hate to lose their network.

Reactions: TripSixes

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I finally made the decision to return the S III to Verizon and go back to the GN. There were a number of things I liked about the S III but others that were a problem.

I found the S-Voice is mostly hype and Google Voice Search has been hidden so it leaves you only s-voice, not a great option. The locked bootloader is a major problem for me. Lots of people are assuming that it will be cracked, and possibly it will, but if it is not, it will be too late to return the phone.

I found that my rooted GN running Jelly Bean is just as fast and just as smooth as the S III and Google Now is first rate, S-Voice can't compare.

Too many downsides and not enough upsides for me to spend the money. If the bootloader is unlocked I'll buy it again later, if not, I'll just wait and see what comes down the pike later on.

I'm making this a poll just to see how many others are feeling this way - - or not. Just curiosity but I suspect there will really be few who return their phones.

And this is exactly why I'm reserving my option to buy the S III again at a later time if things work out for it. People seem to think that I'm knocking the S III and I'm not. I'm simply saying that it isn't the phone for me at this time. Unlocked bootloader, upgrade to Jelly Bean etc., can change my opinion and my re-purchasing this phone.

I'm in the same boat. I do love the phone, but I don't want to hold onto it past my 14 days hoping for proper boot loader unlock.

I'm taking it with me to poker tonight, just to show it off, but will probably return it over the weekend.

I too will be keeping my eyes
open for advancements on this locked version. But, I'll also be keeping tabs on the unlocked version, as well as every other android phone to see if there's one that I will go with.

What's crazy is that I'll be falling back to my fascinate.. to think that I'd rather use the fascinate than hold onto hopes with this device..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Better camera. Extension of unlimited data. Noticeably larger screen (even though the Nexus has a 4.65 inch screen, the space taken up by the on screen buttons doesn't make it much larger than the 4.3 inch screens.).

I will probably hang onto the Nexus but doubt it will get much use. I stopped messing with rooting a long time ago so a locked bootloader is a non issue for me personally. I think Android has matured to a point where rooting/roming isn't really necessary except for those who just like to tinker with their phones.

Either way, they're both the top phones on VZW at the moment so can't really go wrong choosing one over the other.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
know I can take my business elsewhere, but Verizon has the best network out there and have been rapidly expanding their LTE coverage and I would hate to lose their network.

Verizon knows it and has been hammering their customers as a result. Pathetic the choices we have in the U.S. for carriers.
Sprint really screwed up by going for WiMax and now having to drop it for LTE. Why anyone would buy a 4G phone on Sprint is beyond me.
Despite their size AT&T coverage still sucks. They just can't be bothered to put up enough towers.
T-Mobile probably won't last much longer especially since the failed AT&T buyout.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I just switched to veizon so my wife could get the iphone. I have the gs3 now but had the nexus with tmobile. I am really missing the nexus and having a tough time deciding to keep or return. I am one of the few that never thought the camera was that bad, but I mainly only use cameras with my phones outside.