Returning the S III - Back to rooted GNexus

Are you keeping or returning the S III

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I finally made the decision to return the S III to Verizon and go back to the GN. There were a number of things I liked about the S III but others that were a problem.

I found the S-Voice is mostly hype and Google Voice Search has been hidden so it leaves you only s-voice, not a great option. The locked bootloader is a major problem for me. Lots of people are assuming that it will be cracked, and possibly it will, but if it is not, it will be too late to return the phone.

I found that my rooted GN running Jelly Bean is just as fast and just as smooth as the S III and Google Now is first rate, S-Voice can't compare.

Too many downsides and not enough upsides for me to spend the money. If the bootloader is unlocked I'll buy it again later, if not, I'll just wait and see what comes down the pike later on.

I'm making this a poll just to see how many others are feeling this way - - or not. Just curiosity but I suspect there will really be few who return their phones.

Predator04

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I finally made the decision to return the S III to Verizon and go back to the GN. There were a number of things I liked about the S III but others that were a problem.

I found the S-Voice is mostly hype and Google Voice Search has been hidden so it leaves you only s-voice, not a great option. The locked bootloader is a major problem for me. Lots of people are assuming that it will be cracked, and possibly it will, but if it is not, it will be too late to return the phone.

I found that my rooted GN running Jelly Bean is just as fast and just as smooth as the S III and Google Now is first rate, S-Voice can't compare.

Too many downsides and not enough upsides for me to spend the money. If the bootloader is unlocked I'll buy it again later, if not, I'll just wait and see what comes down the pike later on.

I'm making this a poll just to see how many others are feeling this way - - or not. Just curiosity but I suspect there will really be few who return their phones.
locked bootloader will be hacked soon.Is just a matter of time. this is always the case. Dont like s-voice? dont use it. lol simple! JB is already stated for s3.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The gnex's crappy camera isn't worth jelly bean to me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This is a perfect example of different uses for a phone can decide it's value from person to person. I NEVER use the phone camera and could care less about it. That had nothing to do with getting or keeping any phone for me. I understand and respect your position but it does not relate to me.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
locked bootloader will be hacked soon.Is just a matter of time. this is always the case. Dont like s-voice? dont use it. lol simple! JB is already stated for s3.

And this is exactly why I'm reserving my option to buy the S III again at a later time if things work out for it. People seem to think that I'm knocking the S III and I'm not. I'm simply saying that it isn't the phone for me at this time. Unlocked bootloader, upgrade to Jelly Bean etc., can change my opinion and my re-purchasing this phone.

Reactions: TripSixes

Predator04

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This is a perfect example of different uses for a phone can decide it's value from person to person. I NEVER use the phone camera and could care less about it. That had nothing to do with getting or keeping any phone for me. I understand and respect your position but it does not relate to me.
Honestly i dont think he was trying to start something with you. I think he was stating the fact that is has a crappy camera. that is all. Both device are great. but the HUGE factor of me getting this device is unlimited 4g.

Predator04

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And this is exactly why I'm reserving my option to buy the S III again at a later time if things work out for it. People seem to think that I'm knocking the S III and I'm not. I'm simply saying that it isn't the phone for me at this time. Unlocked bootloader, upgrade to Jelly Bean etc., can change my opinion and my re-purchasing this phone.
i didnt mean it in a bad way. It just seems more of a hassle to return buy and return again. didnt know if you knew things got hacked pretty quick. and since ALOT of people have this phone it should be hacked sooner then one might think. Also if someone does unlock it they do have a pretty good chuck of money coming to them.

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I prefer my nexus as well but the galaxy s3 is slowly growing on me

Don't think I'll return it, just a matter of figuring out which one to keep as a daily driver

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

memphisboy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Nexus rooted on JB & have the SGIII....It's only been roughly a week since the SGIII dropped here and Devs are already making progress in the hacking/rooting area. Therefore, I give a week at most before we have an unlocked bootloader and running JB...Patience is key.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I picked up my S3 yesterday and also have a GNex. I am going to give it some more time but after 1 day I am missing my GNex and Jelly Bean. The S3 is a little faster when browsing but that's the only time I notice a speed difference. The signal on the S3 at times is actually worse and then there's the locked bootloader. It feels like I would gain a little speed with the S3 and give up a lot of flexibility.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

Did you pay full price for the S3? If so, i can definitely see staying with the Gnex since the S3 doesnt really blow it out of the water to the tune of 600 bucks (or even whatever the price diff is if you sell your Gnex). For those of us coming off of 20/22 month upgrades who probably have a device like the Fascinate or Dinc or D2/DX, it is such a huge improvement that there is no going back (and personally i like the look of the S3 a little better than the Gnex).

About the google voice actions: you know you can use them from the google search widget on the desktop right? Its not as easy as a dedicated button to long press but i bet it wont be long before a modder figures out how to make the home double-tap go to GVA instead of Svoice.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
i didnt mean it in a bad way. It just seems more of a hassle to return buy and return again. didnt know if you knew things got hacked pretty quick. and since ALOT of people have this phone it should be hacked sooner then one might think. Also if someone does unlock it they do have a pretty good chuck of money coming to them.

I know you didn't mean it in a bad way and I never thought that you did. Maybe just a bad choice of words on my part in my reply.

My problem is this, I've had this phone for some time. When I talked to Verizon I was told that I have until Monday to return it (probably one of the first to be shipped and received).

I do like the phone in many ways but I just don't want to get stuck with that locked bootloader. Many people in these forums are assuming that it will be unlocked but a number of devs have stated (at xda) that this is NOT something that can be assumed. Workarounds may be found but in the past some have worked well and some have created more issues.

I don't mind rebuying the phone if I want to, it's really not a problem for me. I'm taking the safer road of returning the phone and then I'll sit back and see how this thing fleshes itself out. I also don't mind letting Verizon know that this is unacceptable to me and I made this clear when I talked to them to ask about sending it back. They asked why, I let them know why, firmly but nicely. I told them that locked and encrypted bootloaders are a no go for me. I guess it's my own small way of protesting what Verizon has done here.

I also understand why people would want to keep this phone, it is a nice little machine. A lot of thought went into my decision to return it, but it is MY decision, I don't expect that anyone else has, or needs, to agree with it, it is what works for me.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

If your going to buy full retail, you might as well buy the GS3 developers edition. Right now I'm waiting to see which version gets more developer support.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I was (and am) furious about the locked bootloader, but this phone is the best I've ever had my hands on, and CM9 boots with stock kernel. I'm happy. And I'm sure the bootloader will be cracked.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I also understand why people would want to keep this phone, it is a nice little machine. A lot of thought went into my decision to return it, but it is MY decision, I don't expect that anyone else has, or needs, to agree with it, it is what works for me.

Not many people have responded, but it appears you're pretty much on your own on this one. This phone is a beast, and the bootloader problem will be solved.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I been pretty pissed at Verizon over the last 24 hours, got it yesterday and haven't opened it, but I'm keeping mine. Bust it open tonight. Great progress has already been made with rooting and I have faith that the Devs will get past the bootloader.

S-Voice as a key complaint, weird. That's been previewed as gimmicky since the earliest reports on the international version, but to each his own.

I always expected it to be locked, but didn't realize all the other carriers weren't, and I definitely didn't think they'd announce a unlocked version the second they fulfilled pre-orders. F'n Bastards.

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I owned the nexus and now own the s3. Definitely keeping the s3 due to the much improved camera and also the screen seems sharper on the s3. I no longer need to root so none of that matters to me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
When I had a GNex I found the signal was always fading for me - at least where I live (which is where I use my phone a significant part of the time).
Given the new antenna hardware in the GS3, I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be better.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I voted as not sure yet.
Its not so much the locked bootloader or the fact they came out with a devoloper's phone as it's other fincial reasons has occured since I ordered it/received it .
I still have the nexus and hopefully can keep it. I would like to keep both but stuff happens sometimes :-\
But anyhoo:
As far as the bootloader getting cracked it all depends on how well its locked down.If they cant crack it then someone might have a work around so ya can still install custom kernals as well as custom roms.Its really to early to totally give up on this getting solved.:)

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Camera, battery life and signal are the three reasons why my GNex sat in the drawer most of the time in favor of the 4S. After just 2 days it looks like the GSIII is a keeper.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084