Transfer my music from phone to sd card

sirk0rebreg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Put in my sd card and formatted it. I proceeded to put my music on my phone and it is on my internal memory. I want to move it to my external sd card. Thanks in advance

Sent from my S3

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I was apprehensive when I heard the phone didn't mount to a PC like a normal USB mass storage device, but this works really slick. First time I plugged in to my laptop it automatically downloaded the driver and it shows up as a "media device" under my computer. Like Lars said, you'll see two locations in the media device, phone & card. Then it's just drag & drop, or sync with program of choice. Plus, the phone and computer can both access the card at the same time. The only reason I was worried is because I can't install any drivers on my work computer, so won't be able to sync any files there, but I guess I don't really need to.

Anyways, I started by making a new folder called "podcasts" on the card and put a couple of podcasts in it I wanted to listen to. Well, the stock music player couldn't find it, but then I noticed Google Play Music did... Later I synced a few songs to the card with Windows Media Player, and it created a folder called "music". The music player found the songs in that folder, and then once I moved my podcasts folder into the music folder it found them. So the music player must just look for a folder called "music".

Reactions: sirk0rebreg

sirk0rebreg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the responses guys...i figured it out

thing is when i first was putting the music on the phone i tried to create a folder on the sd card called music, but for some reason it wouldn't let me...now when i plugged my phone in there was a folder on the card named music, so i don't know what happened...

time to drag and drop:(

shahzad81

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys thank you so much!!! was rattling my brain till I typed the question into google and stumbled on this site, you guys rock!!1 :). music transferred!!

shahzad81

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys thank you so much!!! was rattling my brain till I typed the question into google and stumbled on this site, you guys rock!! . music transferred!!

Todd Herron

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I was follow your instructions on the cut and paste but when i open the music file or any other folder there's no music there but my phone says it's using 5GB for music. does anyone have any suggestions on whereelse i can find the music on the phone while it's connected?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was follow your instructions on the cut and paste but when i open the music file or any other folder there's no music there but my phone says it's using 5GB for music. does anyone have any suggestions on whereelse i can find the music on the phone while it's connected?

I use poweramp, it can search the card for. Music. If you are on the computer, do a search for *. Mp3,assuming that they are mp3.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIII

bbcooh

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I am having issues as well, and as a new smartphone guy having trouble wrapping my head around all that the phone can do, the Verizon store people provided little help.

I purchased a 32 gig SD card last night for my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. Put it in the phone, the phone recognized it. Followed instructions to get photos to save to it. Kept getting errors when I took a picture that it couldn't save to the SD Card and would default back to the phone. Went to the Verizon store and it worked for them, but then when I got to work it started giving me the 'couldn't save to SD card' error again. I restarted the phone and now it works. I was even able to use My Files to move the existing photos from my camera to the extSdCard (external SD card). Little victories.

However, with music, I can't get it to work. I connected the phone to my computer via USB cable. Phone was recognized, I opened it. I tried many things:
Went it extSdCard and tried to create a Music folder, and it wouldn't let me.
I then tried to create a Music folder on my computer, put a few mp3 files in it, and copy it to the extSdCard and I got an error "Can Not Copy. The Device Has Either Stopped Responding or Has Been Disconnected."
I finally went to App > My Files > extSdCard and tried to create a folder and it says "Creation Failed."
I can get music to save the phone's internal memory. I tried transferring files there and then moving to the extSdCard - get an error.

I am going mad trying to figure this out. Any help with music and/or extSdCard in general would be appreciated.

Edit: I tried transferring a lone mp3 file to the extSDCard (Computer\SCH-I535\Card) - no music folder and it worked. So I transferred the entire album and it worked. Progress, but I would like to have a Music folder so I can keep files together/organized by band. Is there a limit to how far nested in folders a file can be for the phone to find it?

jmp417

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Me too. I have been reading about this and no one seems to give the same answer. I want to get an SD card, 64gb I guess and want my music on it. Before I pick one though I want to see how it is done and which card is best to buy for the S3, i535

6jl44

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I can't get any music or anything onto the SD card. I loaded it up on the PC and it only has Phone no SD card?? I tried the camera setting and there is no storage option at all.

Tnonyper

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
MobileGo for Android is a way easier way of transferring to Android if you've got a Samsung. did this yesterday myself, and it pulled all my contacts, messages, calendars, music, photos, videos and notes out of iTunes and organised them perfectly on my GS3. And it also allows you to move apps from SD Card to Phone Storage or from Phone Storage to SD Card.