VZW S3 intermittently saying "No SIM"

rokstarr

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have heard from several people that their S3's are getting a "No SIM" error randomly which disallows them to do anything with the phone. One way to correct it is try a power cycle but if not, pulling the SIM and battery for a minute seem to help. Others have said that if they just let it go, it will resolve itself after a few minutes. This is more of a probing post to find out if there are any others having this problem. It doesn't seem to be an actual SIM issue since a few people came from a previous phone using the same SIM, never had a problem on the previous phone. I am leaning towards this being a software issue since it seems to be fixable by a power cycle and/or battery/SIM pull. I bought an S3 for a backup phone to my Gnex so I havent had enough time with it yet to see if mine does this too but any and all feedback is welcome. I am just really doubting that everyone I know that has this phone, getting this error, would have a defective phone. Discuss!! :)

rokstarr

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think its a SIM issue. Two of the people I know came from using the same SIM from the Gnex... not an issue until this phone. Like I said, this is a probing thread to see if others experience this so please keep the responses coming. I appreciate it!

eggman211

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
On my 2nd GS3 due to "No SIM" error. 4g works great, as soon as I try to make a call or text I get "No SIM" error. Verizon employee experiencing the same exact issue with her SG3. She stated that it was only happening to her at home. I asked where she lived, we happen to be in the same neighborhood. VZW thinking may be tower related now. Tested my phone from a different location and it works fine. Back home now and it getting "No SIM" when texting or making phone calls. 4g working great.

Screenshot attached.

hemp1217

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I was getting the message repeatedly over the past week. I finally went and got a new SIM, but that did not correct the issue. Last night I went and got a new phone. Hopefully that corrects the problem.

Gerane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have had this happen once to me so far. I have a brand new sim as I was on a droid x previously. It happened inside of a grocery store, but has not happened since. Happened last weekend.

hemp1217

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, even after switching phones I am having the problem.

The sequence is 1) you place a call; 2) the signal strength meter goes to zero bars; 3) you receive an "Out of Service Area" message; 4) the "no SIM" message is shown on the top-left side; 5) the phone reconnects to the network; 6) the signal strength meter redisplays bars.

CountryGravyYum

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I am receiving the same error message. My SIM and Phone have both been replaced. I think it is an issue with the phone in weak 4G service areas and not switching over to 3G. It doesn't happen at my house where I have excellent 4G service. Only at my work. This is going to be one of those problems that may get really bad as more customers purchase the phones.

Is there a way to modify the setting for 3G/4G service on the phone?

eggman211

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this has to do with signal strength as I have 4 bars on 4g when this happens to me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Ben Konny

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been having the same issue over the last week with my new GS3. It happened at different places over this time - at work, home and during commute. I have a really strong 4G signal at home. In order to check if this was based on a 4G problem, I installed an app called "PhoneInfo" to force the signal to a 3G and it happened again on a 3G signal.

It happens about two times a day and my guess is that Verizon has to roll out a fix for this issue based on all the activity on this thread so far. Please continue to update your experiences regarding this issue as it seems to be wide spread and needs to be fixed soon.

Ben Konny

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
There is no way to force 3G signal within the SG3 menus. I use an app called PhoneInfo and it has a setting where you can change the radio signals and connect to 3G.

laurel25

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had this issue on my phone. My phone is going back to Verizon tomorrow for a combination of reasons (WiFi signal loss, data signal loss, screen freezing, this SIM issue).

eggman211

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Just got off from the phone with VZW support. They're thinking this is something going on with tower and have escalated my request to critical and expect resolution within 24 hours.

My suggestion is for those of you experiencing this is to call tech support. Save time by telling them that you've already factory reset and power cycled ......and swapped phones/sim if you have.

800-922-0204 , tech support is option 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca