Things I dislike about the Galaxy S3

New2GalaxyIII

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I just got this phone from Verizon earlier this week. It replaced my Motorola Droid X. I bought it solely on reviews, never even went in and saw other phones. Read that it domiates the iPhone, Droid Razor Maxx...etc.

What I dislike about this phone:
1. I do not like that I cannot turn off the notification 'Known Wi-Fi network available. Connect?' when wifi is turned off. You can only disable this when wifi is turned on.
2. I do not like that I cannot turn off 'predictive word' for texting/google talking/emailing, without also turning off T9 Trace (or Samsungs version of SWYPE). I cannot stand that I have to approve nearly every word when swyping, and when I go back and read it prior to sending, it's all jacked up. And if I try to use predictive text to fix a wrong word, it inserts the word in the already bad word, IE: bbad
3. I do not like that the wifi icon is not in the notificiation area. You have to go into Settings to enable/disable wifi.
4 I do not like that the antenna sucks, I get worse reception with this phone that I did my X.

I might return this phone....

Any tips/tidbits that I'm unaware of? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I just got this phone from Verizon earlier this week. It replaced my Motorola Droid X. I bought it solely on reviews, never even went in and saw other phones. Read that it domiates the iPhone, Droid Razor Maxx...etc.

1. I do not like that I cannot turn off the notification 'Known Wi-Fi network available. Connect?' when wifi is turned off. You can only disable this when wifi is turned on.
2. I do not like that I cannot turn off 'predictive word' for texting/google talking/emailing, without also turning off T9 Trace (or Samsungs version of SWYPE). I cannot stand that I have to approve nearly every word when swyping, and when I go back and read it prior to sending, it's all jacked up. And if I try to use predictive text to fix a wrong word, it inserts the word in the already bad word, IE: bbad
3. I do not like that the wifi icon is not in the notificiation area. You have to go into Settings to enable/disable wifi.
4 I do not like that the antenna sucks, I get worse reception with this phone that I did my X.

1- click in the constant notification in your pull down and then select advanced settings. there you can turn off the reminder of there is a open network available.

2-Yup stock keyboard is lame. Get swype beta or SwiftKey 3 if you like the hunt&peck method.

3- yup Vzw took that out on purpose or accidently. I bet it will be fixed on a OTA update. To quickly change just swipe on the notification bar and click the running "wifi on or off" notification.

4- really mine is as quite good as all my other phones? What are you basing that on? Number of bars? If so disregard since those vary between manufacturers and software versions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

PeteJE

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

I find I don't mind this notification at all - software update likely to change this.

Use SwiftKey3 - blows away this keyboard and the droidx swype.

Just tap on the notification and you are there and toggled on - that notification is like a toggle that brings you to the wifi settings to manage connection.

Mine has beat my droid x where I am. Love the fast 4g

coming from the droid x too, I don't understand this. maybe try a razr maxx or ??

New2GalaxyIII

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
1- click in the constant notification in your pull down and then select advanced settings. there you can turn off the reminder of there is a open network available.

2-Yup stock keyboard is lame. Get swype beta or SwiftKey 3 if you like the hunt&peck method.

3- yup Vzw took that out on purpose or accidently. I bet it will be fixed on a OTA update. To quickly change just swipe on the notification bar and click the running "wifi on or off" notification.

Thank you.
1. The constant notification is an actual popup and not in the notification area at the top of the screen. If I can screenshot and post, I will.
2. I tried SwiftKey3 and could not get it to 'swype'. I want to be able to swype (Or T9 Trace) with predictive text turned OFF.
3. I do not have a running notification with 'wifi on or off'. Strange.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you.
1. The constant notification is an actual popup and not in the notification area at the top of the screen. If I can screenshot and post, I will.
2. I tried SwiftKey3 and could not get it to 'swype'. I want to be able to swype (Or T9 Trace) with predictive text turned OFF.
3. I do not have a running notification with 'wifi on or off'. Strange.

Th

SwiftKey doesn't swype it's just a good old school keyboard. Go to Swype's website in your phone browser and sign up for the free beta and it'll give you a link to download actual swype for your phone and that should be configurable to your desires. Don't ask me why it's not just in the market, for whatever reason they want you to dowoad it from their site:confused:

Or you can turn off autofil in the stock keyboard by going to settings-language input and keyboard-now click the little gear thing to the right of Samsung keyboard.

Last edited:

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I keep wifi on because battery life is good enough to not have to toggle it so I never see the pop up. I do agree that is annoying though.

New2GalaxyIII

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I have installed Swype Beta and like it much better than the standard Samsung keyboard. It still puts predictive text up there (cannot figure out how to remove it, if I even can), but it's a lot less intrusive and I can use the 'comma' key from the main board....love it. It is now default.

New2GalaxyIII

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
In WiFi settings, select Advance settings, then uncheck auto connect.

Correct, I have that done already. Problem is, with wifi OFF, it won't auto-connect, but it will still annoy the out of me by 'notifying me' of wifi networks available.

This must be Verizon/Samsungs way to trick people off their network and onto free wifi's. :)

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
In WiFi settings, select Advance settings, then uncheck auto connect.

That setting is just there for looks. Doesn't work. OK scratch that it does work. Unchecked it prompts you and checked it just automatically connects. AnyCut or the root edit is the only way to fully tell Verizon to buzz off.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
That setting is just there for looks. Doesn't work. OK scratch that it does work. Unchecked it prompts you and checked it just automatically connects. AnyCut or the root edit is the only way to fully tell Verizon to buzz off.

Yup. Best solution if a user doesn't use those 2 options is to leave wifi on or allow auto connect. Sucks though.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have not tried this OP but it might work for the pop up problem until there is a better/update.

Believe there's also an entry for that if you have SQLite Editor but you can also disable it by using AnyCut to create a shortcut to the hidden menu. Install the app, run it and choose New Shortcut-Application and then select HiddenMenuWifiOffload. Open the shortcut placed on your homescreen and check disable. Also works for non-rooted users.