Anyone upgrade from a Razr Maxx? Comparisons?

jeff1penny

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
So I was one of the many people that was forced into the decision to upgrade my phone before the 27th to keep my unlimited & decided to go with the Galaxy S3 like many people did....I struggled with the decision to do this over the Razr Maxx even though battery life was something that was very intriguing to me....

I've had my GS3 for about 5 days and I'm happy with it, but coming from a BlackBerry Curve 8330, I think I could've been just as happy with the Razr Maxx as well....Battery life has been OK on the GS3, but I'm strongly considering returning for the Razr Maxx....

So my question is, for those of you who have upgraded from the Razr Maxx and have been able to compare the 2, what are your thoughts? Besides the extra memory and better processor, convince me that I should not exchange it...

Appreciate your feedback :)

cwoms167

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I started out on Verizon buying the razor Max. Then I returned it for the gs3. I'm thinking about taking it back and getting my maxx back. One reason being is that I liked motors build quality a whole lot better. Two it has a better battery life than any phone. Three I don't really watch that many movies and with the rumored Droid razor HD coming out I'm probably gonna get that anyway so the better screen really don't bother me that much. And four Verizon cares about their Droid line so even though all of the s3s are the same across the board Verizon is a little more strict about how their phones get updated so it may get dicey in the long run with updates. And finally the s3 won't get jellybean until the end of the year anyway so in a way I'm futerproofed with the ddoid razor until the razor HD comes out. I haven't made my final decisson yet but I'm more than likely leaning towards the razor maxx. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Had the Maxx before the S3 and wouldn't go back. The screen on the Maxx looks like poop compared to the S3. It isn't about the movie watching as I never to that, its just a night and day difference. Yes battery isn't as good. I used to get a day and a half with the Maxx, and with the S3 I have been able to make it through a full day for the last week and that is all I need.

jeff1penny

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the info guys, and I definitely agree about the build quality....I guess I'll have to look a little more at the screens but the Maxx isn't an awful screen, just not as nice as the GS3, but battery life might out-weigh screen.....we'll see. I called Verizon yesterday and they adjusted some things and had me adjust some settings on my GS3 and the battery life has been much better, but I haven't done much on it either.

Thanks

panerai7

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Switched to S3 from Maxx.
S3 is better in every single category you can imagine, even holds the data and voice connection just as well as Maxx.
Only 2 things Maxx is better at - battery life is incredible and the build quality is arguably better.
However I put my S3 in the Seidio Surface case and it feels more solid yet still thin.

PS, 2GB RAM is nice - you never run out of memory no matter how many things you run at the same time.

Diordna11

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd have to see a side by side, dbm to dbm comparison to believe the radio on the S3 matches any motorola radio. I've had multiple Samsung & Motorola phones and Samsung is always 10 to 15 dbm's higher.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Reactions: beperry1

cwoms167

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm more than likely gonna keep the s3 until the release of the razor maxx and if it is past my 30 day return period I have the good ole buy back program

beperry1

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
They're both good phones. I think if battery life is a worry, stay maxxed out (see what I did there). If not, flip a coin.

Ouch...it's a Razr, Maxx.

gunner49

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm more than likely gonna keep the s3 until the release of the razor maxx and if it is past my 30 day return period I have the good ole buy back program

U mean razor HD maxx? It will be huge launch for Motorola especially if its ported with JB.. .

Sent from my sexy S3...

ZacHolley

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the max and s3 honestly these two phones have amazing batteries almost similar on my usage the s3 is by far the best of the two ill probably sell my max now

Jbartu

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I am using both phones right now, and the S3 is matching up better than I expected. The signal has been almost identical. I am not comparing this by db, but by actual web page loading and calls in various locations.
As far as battery goes, the Maxx is better; but I swear it's not as good as it was prior to ICS. With this in mind, I am concerned because I travel quite a bit. With the Maxx, I don't have the option of popping in a 2nd battery.
I have a few more days to make a decision, but at this time, I am leaning towards keeping the S3.

Last edited:

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd have to see a side by side, dbm to dbm comparison to believe the radio on the S3 matches any motorola radio. I've had multiple Samsung & Motorola phones and Samsung is always 10 to 15 dbm's higher.

Comparing the S3 I have to my wife's MAXX and my old one that I gave to my son, there was only about 2db difference max at the worst at my house on LTE.

logan2k

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I had the Maxx for 2 weeks. The S3 was announced the day after the return period on my Maxx expired, but I was still able to return it and pre-order the S3.

Here are my observations having used both phones for roughly the same amount of time now.

S3 Advantages

Screen - Far superior to the Maxx in color, resolution and uniformity.
Camera - S3 has one of the best cameras you'll find on any smartphone.
NFC Support
Removable Battery - As far a battery life, I seem to get just as good battery usage on my S3 as the Maxx. Easily lasts a full day but worse case is that you can always purchase a spare.

Razr Maxx Advantages

Build Quality - The S3 is good, but the Maxx was excellent.
Radios - The Maxx always 'just worked', where the S3 'works' the majority of the time.
Webtop - I didn't use it but liked the fact that I could if I ever needed that feature set.
Motoblur - I don't hate Touchwiz but Motoblur ( or whatever its called now) is as close to pure ICS as you can get on any 3rd party launcher.

For my usage, the S3 is a much better device. It gets 'good enough' reception, great call quality, fantastic camera and a top notch screen while utilizing the latest and greatest hardware.

jeff1penny

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
S3 is better in every single category you can imagine, even holds the data and voice connection just as well as Maxx.
Only 2 things Maxx is better at - battery life is incredible and the build quality is arguably better.
However I put my S3 in the Seidio Surface case and it feels more solid yet still thin.

PS, 2GB RAM is nice - you never run out of memory no matter how many things you run at the same time.

Panera, when you said this, "S3 is better in every single category you can imagine", what are some examples? Running apps? Web browsing? Bugs? Not sure if you have some specific examples since I didn't have a Razr Maxx to compare it to.....

Thanks

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

I have been testing my S3 with my Maxx for over a week and not one time has the Maxx bested the S3 in signal strength (dBm) or 4g and WiFi speeds. I had a GNex before and I was skeptical just like you, but now have the proof I need to keep the S3. The call quality, Bluetooth quality and speakerphone quality are all better on the S3. It all depends on Verizon coverage that users have, but for me it couldn't be any better. My main gripe about the S3 is the very dim screen. The Maxx is almost twice ad bright. If you will be using your phone outdoors I would push someone toward the Maxx for sure. After the ICS update my Maxx has much worse battery life than with GB so the fact that I can make it through a full day easy with the S3 removed my need good the larger battery on the Maxx. I now have a spare and can push my S3 to much longer use than the Maxx just by taking s few seconds to swap batteries if I need to. I will certainly look at the RAZR HD when available, but IG looks like it won't have that large battery that the Maxx does so that will be deal breaker for me.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the Maxx, but played with the GS3 in the store for a bit on a few occasions.
Before I make my statement and you will know where its going.
I do have a DSLR camera. But for quick on the go features the GS3
camera has way more features on the camera that give you more control.
What impresses me about the GS3 camera, is that u have the option to change the
iso as well as the exposure. Since I have a new pup 5mos. I want to take pics, or for that matter just want a better camera in general. I also compared signal strength in
the store and the GS3 was close to the maxx

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I was recently using the maxx before swapping for the s3. Big difference in screen, speed and smoothness of the phone. My signal is the same on my s3 as it was on the maxx. I would never go back.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Comparing the S3 I have to my wife's MAXX and my old one that I gave to my son, there was only about 2db difference max at the worst at my house on LTE.

I compared my S3 to my wife's Razr and found the same thing. The db number was almost exactly the same. 3G was extremely strong when I had my X but I average -103db with my S3. I still get extremely fast downloading speeds though. I believe I was in the 85db range with my X on 3G.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

That doesn't make much sense.

One great quality the S3 has is that you can surf the net and talk at the same time on 3G.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk