Verizon SG3:Cant send 8mp pics through text!?

cornfed

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
There's another thread on this and the op accidentally had mobile data turned off. They turned it on and I think that fixed it, not sure if this is what's causing your issues as well.

jacobimh

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. If I use back camera it works, but photos too large from front camera. I figured problem was too good a camera. I may change my default camera to 6 mp to see if a big difference - photo size savings may be worth it if picture is not noticeably different.

IndyRL12

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I was able to modify the photo I took using Photoshop Express (just cropped a VERY small amount and saved as a new pic) and then it took the upload. Not sure what it is about the freaking DEFAULT format that Samsung's own messaging app finds unsupportable, but I will be calling to complain as well. Amateur cr@p.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with the "compressing" notification and then it failed to upload. But, I guess in hindsight, do we really need to send 8mp pictures? I bumped the resolution down a bit and it works just fine.

Same here, got a message that if was compressing, but then later saw that it failed. And no, we don't need to send 8MP pictures, but I want all my personal pictures to be 8MP. I shouldn't have to take an 8MP picture, then switch to a lower res and take another one just to MMS, then switch back to 8MP for the next picture. It obviously tries to compress automatically, but doesn't seem to be working consistently. Never had a problem with my dX.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Until the software is fixed, try an app called Reduce Photo Size. It adds the app as an option to the list of sharing options. After compressing the photo you can send it from within the app. I rarely send pictures via MMS but I use the app when I'm emailing photos to reduce file size. Definitely beats taking the same photo twice at different resolutions, which isn't always possible.

Sent from my Jelly Bean-equipped Galaxy Nexus

viskey

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine does the same thing off and on. Reboot fixed but it still comes back and does it again after a while....where is our bug fix update! Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Gena34

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine does this also. Sometimes it works and sometimes it won't send. My video playback is also choppy grrrr.. Getting a replacement phone to see if that helps but have to wait for them to get the phone back in stock.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

kmk5976

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just found a way to send 8mp pics via text messaging. First, take an 8mp pic and then view it in the gallery. Next, press the menu button and copy the pic to your clipboard. Finally, start a text message to someone, long press the text box and paste the pic. Send as normal!

SeanzysThaMan

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the same problem: while trying to text 8Mb pictures, it said "compressing file" then "format not supported", or something similar. I restarted the phone (by long pressing the power button, not a factory reset), and it let me send my picture. I am assuming this is a temporary fix, so if anyone finds a permanent fix, please post it. Thanks and good luck. I'm using the Samsung galaxy s3.

stingzgrrl

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem so I googled and found this thread. I bumped my camera down to 6 (from 8) and was able to send the pic. I've only had the phone for a week but have sent other pics, the only difference is that people I've sent them to have older Samsungs (Fascinates) - not sure if that makes a difference. Problem seems to be solved though, so I guess I'll deal with it for now.

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I recently started having the same problem. Never had an issue sending 8MP pictures and now after trying to resize, it says unable to send, on some photos.

anon(77329)

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
It's some glitch in the software or messaging app. To fix it you can either restart your phone or press and hold the menu button, select "Task Manager" and under "Active Application" find the Messaging app and hit end. When you relaunch it, it should allow you to send at least one picture without force closing it again.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Great minds.....
I did the same, just changed the camera setting to 6mp. Everything goes through now.
Nothing I do requires the resolution of an 8mp pic, maybe for some it does.

I was having the same problem so I googled and found this thread. I bumped my camera down to 6 (from 8) and was able to send the pic. I've only had the phone for a week but have sent other pics, the only difference is that people I've sent them to have older Samsungs (Fascinates) - not sure if that makes a difference. Problem seems to be solved though, so I guess I'll deal with it for now.

intrimazz

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I email the pic when I want to keep it in its natural resolution.

same here - I only did this tho once I started getting the same issue everyone else posting here has - and I thought it was the GO MMS Pro app but was same issue even after uninstalling so then I went hunting to see if there were others and here you all are ;)

reducing to 6mp didnt help & i cannot receive mms pics or vids either ( not even 30kb pics)

Last edited:

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Samsung and I got the typical you are the first complaint about this.
But the person did tell me if I know of other issues to have them call Samsung so they can get a fix out for it... The number is 888-987-4357. Please flood their phone lines!!! :D

My wife's S3 has this issue off and on all the time. Some go thru perfect and then all of a sudden one decides "nah, I'm gonna give you issues". Tries to compress like it does others and then quits and says it can't attach. Frustrating that you have to restart or do anything differently to make this simple smartphone feature work on this phone. Its such a common task that every phone seems to handle without issues...except this one. Bug???? I'd love to call that number above, but is there a link that makes it easier to just click & report issues like this?

moke

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
same problem here. Talked to verizon. Mine works sometimes and not others. You have to call verizon and complain so they can add it to the list of bugs to be corrected via software update. Verizon rep logged my complaint

=============================
:':)':)'(

for some reason, people do not usually commute to work in an 18-wheeler semi...

the limitation is not on the provider's end, or the device.:(

it is the user.

have you ever sent a letter? have you ever sent a package with an item that whould not fit in the envelope (sweater/photo album/physical item of intrinsic worth)?

SMS is Simple Messaging Service, MMS is Multimedia Messaging Service. There IS a difference due to the technology.:eek:

carriers also impose limits on file sizes. send a 200mb file to an AT&T recipient, and you will fail. text (SMS) is capped and you will have a devil of a time getting an AT&T rep to say so, but it is a truth. when last working for vzw, att would accept sms at <100 kb.

mutter, mutter, curse and stutter...

when you have millions of people depending on you, and have set limitations imposed on you, you may well find that the limitaions of people's expectations far out-strip resources/technology/reason.

talk to (the shipping company of your choice) why you cannot send a car to your cousin in ohio for the same rate it would cost to send the title to the same vehicle...:eek:

grow up folks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty