Verizon SG3:Cant send 8mp pics through text!?

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
^^^^
um...ok.

The point here is not that the pics get shrunk. That's normal. Its that there are errors in doing that process that don't happen with other top phones. So, sticking with the above post's theme, I guess you could say we are trying to send the vehicle title in the mail, not the car, but the mailman keeps eating our mail before it even makes it to the post office.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I randomly get this error as well. Does anyone know if the other Galaxy S3 phones are getting this error and if the Messaging Apps are interchangeable?? I have tried to switch with the default ICS app, but then couldn't access the settings in the messaging app..

cnlson

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I also have this happen sometimes, either of the following fixes it.
  • take the pic and then attach
  • force close the messaging app
  • reboot
I've had the same issue with handscent and gosms. It's losing track of the temp compressed file

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have the link to where you can submit a bug report to Samsung so hopefully it gets fixed? I'm sure they know but the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It's not an S3 thing...it's Verizon (and possibly other networks). Size limits on MMS attachments has always been there, it's just that cell phone cameras used to not be good enough to take pictures that challenged those limits.

Instead of MMS, just send as an email attachment. If the person you're sending to doesn't have a smartphone with email, then chances are they won't be able to download/view an 8MP pic over MMS anyway.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It's not an S3 thing...it's Verizon (and possibly other networks). Size limits on MMS attachments has always been there, it's just that cell phone cameras used to not be good enough to take pictures that challenged those limits.

Instead of MMS, just send as an email attachment. If the person you're sending to doesn't have a smartphone with email, then chances are they won't be able to download/view an 8MP pic over MMS anyway.

Actually I think it's an S3 thing cuz my last 2 smartphones shrunk 8mb pics down and attached them to the text with no issues whatsoever. Remember, the error pops up before you hit send so the network isn't involved. Thus... It's an S3 thing.

Email works if u wanna send full size. But... it takes longer on both ends.

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Why I ask? Why send an 8mp photo via sms?

Whats next? "Why cant I send my 1GB 1080p video clip to my buddy via SMS?"

well yeah. With the way Smartphones are going, they seem to be becoming primary devices in a way. so the idea is to send what you want directly to the person, not to a specific secondary system. "check your email!" "I put it on facebook" "I uploaded it to the company file server" no, give it to me directly. when you make contact with someone, do you share email, or phone numbers?

now right now sending a 1 GB video clip is ridiculous, but what's the point of pushing 'blazing fast 4G LTE" and the like if we're not going to make use of it as society? The software answer may be a provided-cached file (like dropbox?) and a prompt on the receiving end 'big file, want to download?' rather than locking up someone's phone downloading a huge message, but this sharing of information is not going away. I know it's _called_ Simple Messaging Service, but that's not the point. No one cares what it's called, they care about being able to share information. if SMS isn't getting it done, a new phone-phone protocol is needed. Maybe the solution is to have the phone itself interpret it and convert it to email.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you understand the issue here. It's pretty simple. We take a picture, try to MMS it, the phone will compress it so it fits under the size limit. Nobody here wants to send a full size 8MP picture.

The problem is sometimes the phone will fail to compress it... you reboot, try to send the same picture and it will work. It's a bug in the phone.

=============================
:':)':)'(

for some reason, people do not usually commute to work in an 18-wheeler semi...

the limitation is not on the provider's end, or the device.:(

it is the user.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Nobody is trying to "send an 8mp photo via sms" they are trying to take a picture and send it to somebody. It's something that happens a billion times a day. The average user doesn't know, or even care what MP their phone is set on.

The problem is the Samsung software is buggy and can randomly have troubles preparing photos to be sent.

Why I ask? Why send an 8mp photo via sms?

Whats next? "Why cant I send my 1GB 1080p video clip to my buddy via SMS?"

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Actually I think it's an S3 thing cuz my last 2 smartphones shrunk 8mb pics down and attached them to the text with no issues whatsoever. Remember, the error pops up before you hit send so the network isn't involved. Thus... It's an S3 thing.

Email works if u wanna send full size. But... it takes longer on both ends.

Gotcha, I guess I didn't fully understand the issue. My previous phone also sucked at sending large pics via MMS, so I just stopped trying a long time ago.

well yeah. With the way Smartphones are going, they seem to be becoming primary devices in a way. so the idea is to send what you want directly to the person, not to a specific secondary system. "check your email!" "I put it on facebook" "I uploaded it to the company file server" no, give it to me directly. when you make contact with someone, do you share email, or phone numbers?

Honestly, it can depend on the situation (i.e. social vs professional), but I usually prefer to exchange email addresses.

I work in a secure building all day with no cell service, and while that may not a common scenario, I'm always more likely to get an email and respond instantly than I would a text message (which I sometimes can't get for hours at a time).

now right now sending a 1 GB video clip is ridiculous, but what's the point of pushing 'blazing fast 4G LTE" and the like if we're not going to make use of it as society? The software answer may be a provided-cached file (like dropbox?) and a prompt on the receiving end 'big file, want to download?' rather than locking up someone's phone downloading a huge message, but this sharing of information is not going away. I know it's _called_ Simple Messaging Service, but that's not the point. No one cares what it's called, they care about being able to share information. if SMS isn't getting it done, a new phone-phone protocol is needed. Maybe the solution is to have the phone itself interpret it and convert it to email.

The better argument may be, "...but what's the point of pushing 'blazing fast 4G LTE" and the like if carriers are going to start severely limiting and throttling bandwidth?"

Back to the point at hand, however, is that SMS and MMS don't transmit on 4G, or even 3G for that matter -- those service use the same spectrum that voice calls use ("1X" I believe...may be something else even). This is why you can sometimes get text messages when you have no data signal, and also why you can't get text messages when you're on wifi only. These were protocols developed to be compatible with all dumbphones as well, and I don't think that's gonna change any time soon.

Would it be nice if someone would come out with a universal messaging protocol that was linked to your phone number like SMS/MMS services and was more up-to-date with today's technology? Yeah, I guess so... but then again, I like being able to get my messages on my phone or computer, as I can with email or Google Talk, etc...

Last edited:

mooseo21

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Only way to correct this is to reboot, given how many picture messages I send a day I have found myself having to reboot my phone every 1-2 days to correct this. It is EXTREMELY frustrating.