"Fully charged unplug charger" message?

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I woke up this morning noticing that my notification light was orange. I turned on the phone and saw the message "fully charged unplug charger". I always charge my phone overnight and this is the first time I've seen this message or notification light.

Can it cause problems leaving the phone attached to the charger for hours after its fully charged?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The message is requesting that you unplug the charger from the wall. It has more to do with not wasting electricity.

Most of the handset makers put that little pop-up on the screen. On my old Moto it specifically mentions something about unplugging the charger so as to not wasting electricity.

-Suntan

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
My Tab 2 gives the same message. But with today's batteries and charging system you don't have to worry about leaving it plugged in all night.

Randy99

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Howdy Folks! New member here... Verizon Galaxy S III owner as of last week.

Anyone know how to turn off the "Unplug Charger" notification? I'm talking about the text notification that constantly stays put in the list.

TIA, Randy

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Howdy Folks! New member here... Verizon Galaxy S III owner as of last week.

Anyone know how to turn off the "Unplug Charger" notification? I'm talking about the text notification that constantly stays put in the list.

TIA, Randy

Don't think you can.....unless you unplug the charger. :D

Randy99

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
This full battery/remove charger notification makes no sense at all, unless Samsung is intentionally trying to wear batteries out prematurely, so they can sell more. --or is this an Android issue, IDK??

I try to preserve my battery by keeping the phone plugged in whenever possible. If I unplugged each time as the notification suggested, I would be cycling my battery constantly. This is definitely not a good idea since batteries are only good for X number of cycles. With the correct charger attached, the phone does not drain the battery. I realize Lithium Ion batteries prefer frequent top-offs, instead of deep cycles like was needed in the Nickel cadmium days... but even shallow cycles, even though they cause less wear, are still causing wear.

And don't get me started on wasting valuable screen space by leaving such "Ongoing" notifications up in the list. What a nuisance!! :mad:

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This full battery/remove charger notification makes no sense at all, unless Samsung is intentionally trying to wear batteries out prematurely, so they can sell more. --or is this an Android issue, IDK??

I try to preserve my battery by keeping the phone plugged in whenever possible. If I unplugged each time as the notification suggested, I would be cycling my battery constantly. This is definitely not a good idea since batteries are only good for X number of cycles. With the correct charger attached, the phone does not drain the battery. I realize Lithium Ion batteries prefer frequent top-offs, instead of deep cycles like was needed in the Nickel cadmium days... but even shallow cycles, even though they cause less wear, are still causing wear.

And don't get me started on wasting valuable screen space by leaving such "Ongoing" notifications up in the list. What a nuisance!! :mad:

As previously stated, the message is more about saving electricity. If you don't want to see the message, unplug it from the charger. But maybe that's a "nuisance" to do that. :confused:

Last edited:

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it wastes that much electricity keeping it plugged in. Can't be more than a computer or laptop.
I've been charging it overnight (not everytime) for all my previous phones and no noticeable effect battery life, only after about when its time to get a new phone.

sspediacci

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The notification is put in place so you stop wasting electricity. It's trying to get you to conserve. The phone and charger are going to constantly pulling power from the outlet until you pull it out.

Belkin actually makes some great accessories that stop pulling electricity during certain times of day.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

windstrings

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
The above article is for "stupid chargers"... heat is not an issue as the charger "backs off".... Simply feel the back of your phone in the morning after charging all night... See no heat!

For the same reason energy wasting is nearly nil since no amperage to speak of is passing. The battery.... Once fully charged, only charges enough to keep a "break even" status to reimburse the phone with exactly what's it's using to stay on stand by.

Enough totally non technical clueless people use phones on the planet, they have to make chargers idiot proof.... Otherwise lithium batteries make nice bombs if overcharged without protection circuits in place "usually on the battery itself" as well as many chargers. If these batteries weren't protected you would wake up with them hot as a stove and many would explode.

Common sense only works if you have all the facts :)

Last edited:

Rapta619

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The notification is put in place so you stop wasting electricity. It's trying to get you to conserve. The phone and charger are going to constantly pulling power from the outlet until you pull it out.

Belkin actually makes some great accessories that stop pulling electricity during certain times of day.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Oh that's a great idea! so my phone won't charge during "peak" hours because I work nights and sleep during the day! Thanks now I know to stay away from belkin accessories. word of mouth has that effect.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ramnivas indani

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
If you want to stop over charging you can use battery alert app which plays your phones ringtone when battery reaches 100%
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.batteryalert.home&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5iYXR0ZXJ5YWxlcnQuaG9tZSJd
also it gives option to snooze to snooze alert for some time

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you really think this phone isn't smart enough to automatically take care of the battery?
The phone knows more about the battery then you. It can take care of the battery just fine. Plug it in and leave it alone.
That app is for paranoid people, or you are just spamming us and selling it aren't you.

Last edited: