Does your S3 work with Verizon Network Extender?

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a RazrMaxx and BB 9930, they both worked great at home on the Wireless Extender for poor reception areas and both always had full strength reception. The new S3 cannot get the signal or boost and stays at 1 bar of reception.

Verizon support claim the phone should work on the extender but too new to know for sure - especially as you cannot toggle from 4g to 3G manually.

Can anyone verify if their new S3 recognizes and works with the latest Verizon extender if you use it at home?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a RazrMaxx and BB 9930, they both worked great at home on the Wireless Extender for poor reception areas and both always had full strength reception. The new S3 cannot get the signal or boost and stays at 1 bar of reception.

Verizon support claim the phone should work on the extender but too new to know for sure - especially as you cannot toggle from 4g to 3G manually.

Can anyone verify if their new S3 recognizes and works with the latest Verizon extender if you use it at home?

You can force the s3 into 3g mode by using the "phone info " app in the play store and switch to cdma auto prl.

Reactions: MrVeda and coredump

coredump

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You know when you use the network extender, you'll hear that double-beep when calling? I just unplugged my Network Extender and the double-beeps persisted. o_O

Anyways, once it comes back up, I'll dial #48. Should announce, “You are on the Network Extender” to verify the Network Extender is functioning properly and you're registered on it."

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I love this Forum!

Many thanks for the quick advice. With the App and 3G selected I am now back up to 5 bars and the #48 tip confirmed it as well!

I was on the phone nearly an hour to Verizon support removing the battery and sim card several times while they rebooted my account etc. I should have asked here first!

Thanks again!

coredump

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I did to test. I didn't use the Phone Info app to manually switch between 3G and 4G; everything is in "auto".

1.) My Network Extender and GS3 (48 hours uptime, I also went to work today and just got home) are both turned on. I dialed #48: "You are under network extender coverage." I got the Network Extender's double-beeps when the call connected.

2.) I pulled the power of the Network Extender. I dialed #48: "You are under network extender coverage." However, the reception is very choppy. It still does the double-beeps when the call connected. Weird.

3.) The Network Extender power is still off. I reboot my GS3. I dialed #48: "Welcome to Verizon Wireless. Your feature update could not be completed..." I don't get the double-beeps when the call connected.

4.) I turned the Network Extender back on and waited for it to fully boot. I dialed #48: "You are under network extender coverage." It did take 5-10 seconds to connect. And it did the double-beeps when the call connected.

So based on 1, 3, and 4, I conclude the GS3 does work with the Network Extender. In 2, I don't know why the GS3 isn't "smart" enough to figure out that the Network Extender is turned off.

In summary: I'm pretty sure GS3 does work with the 3G Network Extender.

References: IT Systems Engineer by profession, BS in CS.

Reactions: MrVeda

Vondutch67

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
First of all: Thanks for the #48 tip!

Secondly, I have a range extender and the GS3 and it works great on it...mostly. Five bars throughout the house, which is nice, but hand-off between the extender and a regular signal results in a dropped call. This hasn't happened with any of my other phones so that's kind of a bummer.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
what is a network extender never heasrd of it or even seen a picture of one

You can see and read about it right on the Verizon wireless website, and even order one. It basically receives and transmits to your cell phone using your broadband Internet instead of a cell tower. It isn't recommended for use with satellite Internet though, so if you are really out in the boonies with only satellite Internet then you are out of luck.

anon(1058619)

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
what is a network extender never heasrd of it or even seen a picture of one

Verizon's Femtocell

extenderf.jpg

coredump

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
First of all: Thanks for the #48 tip!

Secondly, I have a range extender and the GS3 and it works great on it...mostly. Five bars throughout the house, which is nice, but hand-off between the extender and a regular signal results in a dropped call. This hasn't happened with any of my other phones so that's kind of a bummer.

On my GS3, it's displaying 2-3 (out of 5?) bars when I'm right next to the Network Extender. I'm guessing it's displaying my 4G even though I'm connected through the Network Extender (as verified with #48).

Using Phone Info app adn switching over to CDMA auto (PRL), it shows the full 5 bars.

Happening to anyone else?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the Verizon extender with my S3 since it first came out. I get three bars of signal strength throughout the house and can make clear phone calls.

I don't use the 3G at home because I connect via WiFi.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Glad I found this forum. I've had the S3 since fri. 13 (lucky day). And average only 1-3 bars, in rural area. I do not get 4g here, not offered, only 3g. anyway, I was wondering if a network extender would work. So tomorrow visiting the Verizon store and will pick one up. I have cable internet, 40 mbps down and 5 mbps up. So, pretty sure that's enough. Thanks for ya all posting.

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
If you complain about the quality of their service and threaten to leave Verizon, they will give you a discount on the network extender. They'll even offer a greater discount if you agree to re-up for another two years.

cjmarsha

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I am having a similar issue. I just got and setup a Verizon network extender in my apartment yesterday and when I dial #48 it says I am under network extender coverage, however, I still only see 1 or 2 bars on my S3. If I make a call and am on the phone for more than 2 minutes or so, the signal strength jumps up to 4 or 5 bars. It seems like the network extender is working at least some of the time, but why doesn't my phone show full signal strength all the time even when it is idle? My main concern is that I have a strong enough signal so that I don't miss any calls...anyone have any idea what could be happening? I wonder if it has something to do with the mobile network settings...under Access Points I was on "EHRPD- Verizon Internet" and not LTE-Verizon Internet. I will try switching the setting when I get home tonight to see if it makes a difference. I have not yet tried the Phone Info app adn switching over to CDMA auto (PRL)...but I should not have to install a 3rd party application to properly use the extender.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Mine is the same. I always double check. During the night I just happen to glance at the phone and had no bars, for the heck of it dialed the #48 and yep on network extender coverage. Then after roughly 2 minutes went up to 4 bars. When I get home it takes the phone approx. 10 minutes now to pick up the bars. Network extender almost immediately, but not the bars. Weird. But, so far so good, now I am ignoring the bars and if not sure just dial the #48 to verify. or if I make the call make sure the funny sounding thing is first.
:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish