Data Usage???

JettaStorm97

May 10, 2010
Visit site
So I am curious what the average user with an S3 is using data wise?

Due to my delay in ordering the S3 for my wife and I, I most likely will loose my unlimited data. But so far on average, I with my DX and wife with her facinate, we only use between 2-3GB of data a month. So the new share everything plan shoud save me alittle money every month.
We do the facebook, app updates and moderate internet everyday. Not too much pandora or too many streaming things anymore.

Anyone willing to share thier data usage numbers?

Thanks in advance.

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the 3GB plan with AT&T and honestly I've never even reached 2gb.... I do a lot of internet reading and checking out forums and what not.... on occasion a few youtube vids.... rarely I use Pandora bit when I do its mostly on WiFi.... unless your a hardcore streamer you shouldnt use that much data...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My usage can be all over the map depending on the month.

I tend to stream Tune In Radio Pro or Google Music quite a bit if I'm doing work at my desk. Which doesn't eat too much data.

In the summer months I like to get out of the office at lunchtime, in the winter I'll be more likely to eat lunch at my desk while watching a show via Netflix (phone plugged into my desk monitor.) Those months can get pretty high.

-Suntan

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
To people worrying about losing their unlimited data.
How often are you guys on your phone to actually take advantage of your unlimited data?
I'm pretty sure you all have laptops/desktops at home. Are you on your phone all day streaming stuff, facebooking, instagraming. I'm sure most of you will use average between 2-6gb a month (though there are exceptions).

Even if I had unlimited, I have way more stuff going on than stare at my phone all day. Places to go, meetings to attend, food to cook, friends to meet up with, etc. Just need my email and maps primarily.
Plus theres wifi...

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
So I am curious what the average user with an S3 is using data wise?

Due to my delay in ordering the S3 for my wife and I, I most likely will loose my unlimited data. But so far on average, I with my DX and wife with her facinate, we only use between 2-3GB of data a month. So the new share everything plan shoud save me alittle money every month.
We do the facebook, app updates and moderate internet everyday. Not too much pandora or too many streaming things anymore.

Anyone willing to share thier data usage numbers?

Thanks in advance.

On 3g, was between 1-3/ month. On LTE, I hit 4gb in 2 weeks. I used to be picky about what I downloaded away from wifi. Now, I just download whenever I want, and use netflix much more away from wifi.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

JettaStorm97

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of the responses!

A different aspect of what i am curious about, is if there are new programs/utilities that run on the S3 that i don't have on my DX, that would refresh or use data?

In all actuality, I don't give a rip about unlimited data. what i am concerned with is being surprised with a huge bill because i went over my GB limit a little.
These numbers just help m gauge where I might need to set my data limits when i finally make my purchase this weekend.

Thank you all again.

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I used much more data going from the DX to my old HTC Rezound which is 4G. Again going from the rezound t the SG3 hasn't been much different either other then the time I spent setting it up!

You can also check your usage online or on your phone. There is even a widget for it but you have to refresh it!

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If you have Google Currents or Flipboard setup to automatically refresh a lot of news feeds and cache them for offline reading, you can burn through a lot of data.

But realistically, if you monitor your data even somewhat close the first month or two, you shouldn't have any big surprises.

Honestly, with all the tracking options carriers offer (widgets as well as their webpages) plus options to get text notifications when you are close to your limit, you really have to be pretty careless to go over your data allowance.

-Suntan

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Netflix hd is around 2gb per hour.

How often are you guys on your phone to actually take advantage of your unlimited data?
I'm pretty sure you all have laptops/desktops at home. Are you on your phone all day streaming stuff, facebooking, instagraming. I'm sure most of you will use average between 2-6gb a month (though there are exceptions).

Even if I had unlimited, I have way more stuff going on than stare at my phone all day. Places to go, meetings to attend, food to cook, friends to meet up with, etc. Just need my email and maps primarily.
Plus theres wifi...

sayheysarah

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I use about 1 - 2 GB a month. I am almost always on WiFi, so I never worry about data. Lost my unlimited a long time ago. I use forum apps, chrome, facebook, navigation, foursquare, ect.

andrewshah

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I checked my Mom's phone, she got one the day it came out. So far, she has used over 20gb!
She watches quite a bit of YouTube and Netflix!

We have wifi, but it is so slow compared to 4g, so she never uses it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
55-60gig. I have the hotspot which i used to power laptops and stream off my Roku box and soon to power my Equiso stick. I told Comcast to kiss it. I actually saved money with the hotspot. And its faster than comcast. Youtube doesn't skip on the hotspot.

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

Plus theres wifi...

My office is "secure" and there is no wifi. Even if there was, I am sure they wouldn't want us streaming audio over it all day.

I like the option to listen to music all day, stream in my car driving, and watch some video if am wasting some time waiting somewhere. It isn't that I use a ton of data, I just don't want to deal with caps if I don't have to, especially since VZW offers capped data for the same price.

boogalu

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
First time on an LTE phone coming from a DX..with the X I was using about 1.5 gigs a month..now halfway through my billing cycle I am at 3.45 gigs..I hated really using the internet on the X but on the S3 I enjoy it immensely.

And yes I also have places to go and people to meet. But my internet is still needed. Not an argument starter just a busy person is all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513