Puscase From Verizon Or Best Buy

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure everybody has had good and bad experiences with both. Verizon will not honor my loyalty discount after I bought a phone online and returned it the next day several months ago and as far as that goes I had to call and email them several times before they would reinstate my upgrade status almost 3 months later. The loyalty discount was not used on said purchase because the phone was on sale and the sale price was greater than the discount so that is why it wasn't applied. When I spoke to them about why my discount on My Verizon says I'm eligible,and it doesn't show up at checkout their response was basically that i'm lucky to get a phone for such a cheap price on contract whether it's on sale or not. I have been doing some lurking around the web and found I can bet a SG3 about $60 cheaper at Best Buy.

OK my rant is over and my questions are:

1. Will I be able to keep my existing plan ( I don't have unlimited data ) ?

2, Will Verizon help me with customer service or will i have to go to Best Buy for the duration of
the 2 year contract ?

3. Can I still use MY VERIZON to pay my bill or make any plan changes ?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
1.yes

2.for 1st 14 days, go through bb for phone issues, after that, verizon for the remainder of the one year warranty. Verizon will still help you, but won't warranty a phone after one year, unless you purchased the extended warranty.

3. Yes. Although Some 3rd party have an additional etf, not sure if bb does or not.

Reactions: imhipper

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy does not impose any additional fees unlike Amazon Wireless or WireFly if you make changes to your account after purchase..

I believe Best Buy also has a greater return policy - I think they give you 30 days for an exchange. Verizon sets the 14 day window which effectively locks you into your contract after this period.

Some people like their Black Tie thing and the buy back program but that's up to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: imhipper

rackermike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Since we're talking buying options, anyone have any experience with NewEgg? Simplexity is the 3rd party vendor I think, but I got an e-mail offer thru the Egg that beats the VZW or BB price by $50 per device, includes free next day FedEx, and comes with a $25 NE gift card with each device as well. I've never gotten my phones anywhere but VZW (of course I'd never rooted until I got my Fascinate either), but this offer seems pretty good.

Any comments are appreciated!

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I buy my phones at best buy and it is the better way to go. No additional fees, 30 day exchange policy with no restocking fee. 60 days if you are a RZ premier silver member. Their extended warranty is $10 per month with a 0 deductible, rapid exchange (3 days) with the ability to get a loaner phone. It covers everything but loss and there is no limit to how many times you can use it.

They honor upgrades and can get everything set up for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Rackermike I noticed that offer as well , but when I go through the process and I believe Amazon as well they both let me keep my existing data but change my messaging to 1000 for $10. I currently have unlimited mobile to mobile and 1000 to other carriers phones and i dont want to loose that. Ebay through Best Buy Mobile Solutions is offering GS3 for $179.99 before a %20 discount and Androidcentral is offering a %25 discount with a $30 shopandroid gift card also through Best Buy. With the information the previous 2 posters gave I think it's Best Buy for me.

rackermike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
imhipper...thanks for the info. I like the BB idea, but I was hoping for the blue 32GB model and no one near me has it in stock. I have the unlimited data plan currently, but since I'm not going to spring for the full retail phones, I think I'll begrudgingly be switching to the Share Everything plan and hope the 4G doesn't have me paying thru the nose. We each only use about 0.5GB a month now, but I'm sure the allure of 4G speeds will bump that up a good bit ;)

And of course, I'm hoping the rumor about VZW pushing an update that unlocks the bootloader proves to be true as well. ;)

Thanks and looking forward to more thoughts so I can get this going!

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
rackermike... you can get the blue 32 model shipped with the androidcentral discount. I know it says that the blue 32 is only available for store pick up but that has changed to ship as well. Sorry I don't know how to post links.

rackermike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
imhipper...is there a promo code for the 25% discount and gift card? Just a quick look around the site and I don't see it. And it won't let me add a second phone either...hmm, have to give it another look when I have more time.

Thanks again for the info!

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
rackermike ... i found this promo on the android central homepage. Just scroll down and the promo link will be halfway down the page. I believe you have to use that link to use the androidcentral promo code ( ACSAVE25 ) and all the information is there. The only thing like i mentioned in the previous post was that it says the blue 32 is only available for store pick up but you can now choose to have it shipped.

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Just pulled the trigger and ordered a blue 32 gb SG3 through Best Buy with the androidcentral promotion with a $30 shopandroid gift card that I will use to buy a decent case with. Saved $62.50 from what Verizon would of charged me.

Thanks for everyone's advice made my choice of Best Buy more comforting.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
If you buy it from Best Buy, and then end up returning it within the 30 day period, will your plan go back to what it was before you upgraded?

sayheysarah

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
If you buy it from Best Buy, and then end up returning it within the 30 day period, will your plan go back to what it was before you upgraded?

I work at Best Buy Mobile. For VZW, you have 14 days before you are locked into contract but you can exchange for a different phone within 30 days.

Reactions: F34R

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so Best Buy, I'd need to make sure I brought it back within the 14 days to make sure my plan gets reverted back to what it was before the purchase... right?

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Be very careful with "The Mart". They have a very restrictive return policy. I bought a TomTom a couple years ago and didn't like it. Because it was "discounted" there was no returns allowed. They pulled the same crap on me with some furniture that was not the color we ordered.

Best Buy will price match them and is much more flexible and easy to deal with. I no longer do business with NFM.

Reactions: F34R