Galaxy S3 signal issue and Verizon support

vicosphi

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Registered just to tell you guys I have Galaxy S3 and it loses signal (both data and voice) when switching from 4g to edge in low signal areas. Tried factory reset, custom ROM, CM, original ROM, multiple modems, changed SIM card, changed data plan and what not.

Turns out the phone was defective !!! I never thought it would be a hardware issue but yes it was. Just returned the phone and got a replacement and couldn't be happier. It works flawless. Ofcourse there is an issue with low wifi strength and not so strong 4g reception but that will be addressed in a software update.

So if any of you are having issue where the phone completely loses signal when transitioning from 4g to edge, its a hardware issue and you should exchange it!

Enjoy :)

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are both having 4G/3G/1X issues with our almost twin S3s...and I was having a battery issue. They have suggested we go to the local store and trade out sim cards. She is having SIGNIFICANT dropped call issues, and they said to her that since we were at home and on the Wi-Fi that was calusing the problem. We are about to as for new phones since her Facinate and my DInc never had issues like this at home

joverman56

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I are both having 4G/3G/1X issues with our almost twin S3s...and I was having a battery issue. They have suggested we go to the local store and trade out sim cards. She is having SIGNIFICANT dropped call issues, and they said to her that since we were at home and on the Wi-Fi that was calusing the problem. We are about to as for new phones since her Facinate and my DInc never had issues like this at home

Me and my girlfriend are having the same exact issues and coming from the same phones. I had a dinc and she had a fascinate. I called Verizon yesterday and they agreed the we have had an extremely large amount of dropped calls since we got our new phones. They said they would look into the issue and call me back within 72 hours. Another issue I have is that I will have 3 or 4 bars of service and try to make a call, the phone will say that I don't have service even though I have 3 or 4 bars. Extremely aggravated about this but not a deal breaker for getting rid of the phone. Just need to be able to make phone calls.

A277

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Verizon and Samsung and I've decided to send my GS3 to Samsung for a few issues. Weak signal for calling, imperfections in the screen and a battery that takes about 3 hours to charge. I'd rather have Samsung fix the phone and just use my Razr maxx for a week and a half then deal with another unit from Verizon which might have similar issues.

Reactions: the1m.polo

stlrsrule

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I joined just to add to this thread. I've had my S3 for 2 weeks now. I came from a droid X to S3 and rarely dropped calls with my droid. Now with S3, I'm dropping calls rather frequently in areas I never had trouble before. I don't think I'll have the patience with the S3 since I buy my phone first as a phone then other features. I was very hopeful this would be a nice phone but it appears to me Samsung packed it with features then forgot it was a phone.

giper54

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Registered just to tell you guys I have Galaxy S3 and it loses signal (both data and voice) when switching from 4g to edge in low signal areas. Tried factory reset, custom ROM, CM, original ROM, multiple modems, changed SIM card, changed data plan and what not.

Turns out the phone was defective !!! I never thought it would be a hardware issue but yes it was. Just returned the phone and got a replacement and couldn't be happier. It works flawless. Ofcourse there is an issue with low wifi strength and not so strong 4g reception but that will be addressed in a software update.

So if any of you are having issue where the phone completely loses signal when transitioning from 4g to edge, its a hardware issue and you should exchange it!

Enjoy :)

Are you on Verizon or AT&T ?

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm having no issues with my S3, or my wife's S3. Wifi is good, no pop ups and 4G almost everywhere I am. To me this phone is a beast.

joverman56

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Me and my girlfriend are having the same exact issues and coming from the same phones. I had a dinc and she had a fascinate. I called Verizon yesterday and they agreed the we have had an extremely large amount of dropped calls since we got our new phones. They said they would look into the issue and call me back within 72 hours. Another issue I have is that I will have 3 or 4 bars of service and try to make a call, the phone will say that I don't have service even though I have 3 or 4 bars. Extremely aggravated about this but not a deal breaker for getting rid of the phone. Just need to be able to make phone calls.

Just got off the phone with Verizon again. They called back after i called the other day. Their response was I could purchase a network extender if I wanted to use my cell phone in my home. I explained to them that I was not trying to use my S3 in my home but outside in my driveway near the road and it was still dropping calls. I also told them my DINC did not have these issues and I was not going to pay for a network extender. I told them to pull up my account and see the amount of dropped calls I've had since i recieved the phone as to compared to the two plus years I had my DINC. The guy then told me to hang on a second. When he came back he told me that Verizon was going to send me a network extender free of charge.... Hopefully this will help.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Verizon again. They called back after i called the other day. Their response was I could purchase a network extender if I wanted to use my cell phone in my home. I explained to them that I was not trying to use my S3 in my home but outside in my driveway near the road and it was still dropping calls. I also told them my DINC did not have these issues and I was not going to pay for a network extender. I told them to pull up my account and see the amount of dropped calls I've had since i recieved the phone as to compared to the two plus years I had my DINC. The guy then told me to hang on a second. When he came back he told me that Verizon was going to send me a network extender free of charge.... Hopefully this will help.

I've heard nothing but great things about network extenders it should work great

Sent from my retina iPad using tapatalk

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a Droid X here as well. I have not dropped a call yet either and call quality seems to be quite a bit better on my S3 vs the X.

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Good luck to ya. Hope it works out, it isn;t just at our house we are dropping calls, we are dropping them everywhere. Heck, today I drove from one side of town to the other (few miles) and I didn't ever have a data signal according to my phone.

The VZW rep I had intially wanted to do a factory reset on the phone to determine if it was a software or hardware issue. When I informed him that it was not just my phone buy my wifes phone, and sitting side by side they will have different singlal strengths he still wanted to do that. However when I pressed to have the phones replaced he did say that he could place an order for us, but we could not go to the store and get them as they are not "equiped" to do that and do not have the phones there. I asked if that ment that they did not have any S3 phones there and I was told that what they would send was not the retail package phone, worries me that I will get a referb or something.

charlier180

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a Droid X here as well. I have not dropped a call yet either and call quality seems to be quite a bit better on my S3 vs the X.

I too came from a Droid X. For me call quality is about the same as the DX.
Even in the local Mall where cell service stinks for some carriers, my S3 gets 4G service and does not drop calls (my DX worked well there also). The same cannot be said for AT&T customers. I also noticed that my S3 does well inside one of my company's manufacturing plants (LOTS of concrete, steel and high voltage electric lines) just like my DX.

After reading about the signal issues posted here and those without issues I do wonder what the real cause is. Is it a hardware issue from a particular assembly plant? Is is a hardware component issue from a particular supplier or supplier's shipment of parts? I do find it interesting that at least for some, having the S3 replaced appeared to solve their problems.

The real test for my S3 will be when I visit some friends of mine in rural Maryland. While my DX did not drop calls at their house the 3G service often dropped to 1G. Should be interesting to see how the S3 performs both for voice and 4G during my next visit.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking that 4G does not "blanket" as well as 3G. I notice that when I go outside from my house I get an additional signal bar. With 3G on my X I always had a full signal in my house. I also notice that the 4G signal drops only a few blocks from my house, then picks up again or changes to 3G. I'm starting to believe I'm in a 4G fringe area. I do not blame that on the phone. I blame that on Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech