S3 Randomly Restarts

balbert88

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

My S3 which I have had for 2+ weeks has been acting weird ever since I got it. Probably 4-5 times per day depending upon how much I use my phone it will randomly restart when I am doing something. I have not found a pattern to the restarts. I called and talked to verizon they said it was a Samsung software issue and the fix is to do a factory hard reset so after doing so no less than about a min after reset the phone restarted again.

Anyone have similar issues?

jcourcha

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
thats odd you bring this up I have a HTC Thunderbolt and it would always shut off randomly but then they released a firmware update for it and haven't seen it reboot since (over a year ago). Hope this isn't the case for the S3 as it did take a month for the update to arrive

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Something isn't right with your device. Try a factory reset (which will reset your device to its stock configuration) and see if that helps. Don't restore all your apps right away to see if it's an app conflict.

If you still get constant reboots, you should get it replaced.

Sent from my SGS III

jcourcha

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem and I have bad luck with phones so I thought it was just a software glitch that would be fixed with update, but I really didn't add much to the phone and it was randomly rebooting when using it even in the home screen. Took it back to the store after 2 days and got a new one and hasn't rebooted ever since. Must have been a bad batch. Yay! :D

Service: Tmobile
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

DWilliams62

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I am on my second S3 and still experiencing the restarts. It was so bad w/ the 1st phone that I took it back within the first 2 weeks. The pblm continued w/ current S3 but at a much lower frequency... until recently (I've had phone 3 mths now). The only pattern I've noticed so far is that the phone will be guaranteed to restart if I do a lot of copying to clipboard from internet... but it has also restarted during other times. Another inconsistent peculiarity is that sometimes it restarts and makes the T-Mobile shut down / start up sounds... sometimes not. I'm getting very frustrated, thus my internet search, which led me here. I hope this issue can be resolved relatively easily.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you performed a Factory Reset? If not, please do so (taking care to make backups of anything you care about) and then let us know what happens. I'd even avoid restoring anything or installing any apps (just use it clean for awhile) to be certain that nothing that you had installed was causing the problem. You can try:
Carbon: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup
Kies Air: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.samsung.swift.app.kiesair
MyBackup Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro
SMS Backup & Restore: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore (there are free/trial versions of all of them) to help out with the backup/restore task.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Siva Ram

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am also facing the same problem with my S3. Even I am not sure about the restart pattern. It is happening after I received the 4.1.1 update. Can somebody suggest what is solution for this ?

sime1975

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Same happening to me. Random restarts in my trouser pocket. Sent it off to Samsung, they returned claiming phone ok
But now realise it restarts when it recieves a knock or squeeze, example bending down when in pocket. So i tapped it at thwe bottom of the phone and it restarted
So its back to Samsung again. Also my phone overheats sometimes and when i say overheats its burning.

Deagina

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I am also with Verizon. I am on my third S3. The same problem with all of them. Factory reset will only make it happen less in the beginning but will still go back to doing the same thing. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers