Is this possible? (GPS + Mileage + NFC)

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi!

Love my new S3, but I'm curious with NFC capabilities if there's a way using NFC tags, or something like that and an app or two to do the following:

When I get in a car, can I scan a tag or something that opens up an app that tracks my mileage using my phone's GPS? Then, when I'm done, I simply scan a tag that saves my mileage and logs me out. Is there an app like this? I know there are apps that allow me to type in my mileage...BUT, I've come to realize that I'm not good at remembering to write down my mileage for business on an app or on paper and something that handles it for me would be great.

Thanks!

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Why not just enable "location history" in Google maps? Works pretty good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Why not just enable "location history" in Google maps? Works pretty good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

How do I do that?

The only thing is...about 1/2 of the time I travel it's for business and I use maps and navigation all the time so I don't want to mix up work with play. My hope is that there is an app out there that can use the built in GPS to record my mileage automatically and then save it when I'm done traveling for business. I figured the NFC thing would be nice too since I thought they allow you to open up apps, etc. My GPS is always on btw so I wouldn't need to turn that on/off.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked my tracks? If not it does exactly what you want.

As for automating you're trying to do too much for something that is really simple but yes you could have an NFC badge specifically for opening my tracks.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked my tracks? If not it does exactly what you want.

As for automating you're trying to do too much for something that is really simple but yes you could have an NFC badge specifically for opening my tracks.

Nice app. Thank you!! But unfortunately I couldn't log odometer reading for car mileage. I tried a few others and am still looking for the best/easiest way to have an app track your mileage like this does using your GPS, but also make that mileage adjustment to an odometer reading within the app. I see several apps, and am looking for the best currently. Testing several right now. Would love others input though...

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
That's going to be pretty rough because you're looking for something to constantly be in sync with your odometer. Maybe something like Torque could work: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...l.torque&feature=search_result&token=TXyB0l_Z.. but again you would need to rig up something to pull from that.

You're basically looking for a customized app and/or service to do what you want. The closet you'll get will be MyTracks but pulling odometer info is going to be difficult. Only solution I can think of is fire up myTracks to create the Spreadsheet in Drive and then just remember to open Drive everytime you use MyTracks and note the odometer.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I typed in "Mileage" in the Play Store search, and found several. This looks promising (will autostart when plugged in, lets you put in odometer readings, even keeps track of separate vehicles etc): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ocialllc.vel&feature=nav_other&token=0GFY55RM

And it's free.

But again, if you do a search for "Mileage" you'll find quite a few similar apps, like this one (that's not free, but looks nice): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...VuY29kZS5taWxlYWdlbWFuYWdlciJd&token=4Jk2UTft

Or another free one: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bnltYXJvLmFwcC5taWxlc3RyYWMiXQ&token=DCVKX7dH..

I assume one of those would aggregate the trips into a "total" mileage odometer though. I'd be curious which ones you are trying out.

Suraj Ramnani

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I came across an application: Vezma GPS Mileage & MPG Tracker through Google play (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.workinfield&token=SZ4I08q0) and i think this should help you out with what you are looking for. I don't think you can scan NFC and start/stop tracking but you can automatically start the tracking when bluetooth is paired with your Android Smartphone. Vezma automatically reconnects when in the vicinity of a paired device and this will kick on GPS tracking. Apart from this, They offer quite a few impressive features in their premium service as well (Which is free for the first month). A few features are

• All tracked trips are auto synced online (choose Wi-Fi, data plan)
• Powerful trip tracking records searching, filtering & management (add, edit, delete)
• See your tracked trips and visited places displayed on interactive map
• Keep others updated via location sharing (SMS, email, social media)
• Define frequently visited places for automatic check in at the location
• Generate professional mileage log and trip reports (word, excel, pdf)

Hope this helps.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
It's been 2 years and a couple Android versions later, but who knows, maybe he's still looking.

AC App on SGS3

Suraj Ramnani

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Oops, Your right, i totally missed out on the year when this was posted lol. Apologies for digging an old thread. Hopefully this comes handy for others looking for something similar :)