Wifi Tethering Problems on VZW S3

bejackso

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, rooted, running stock vanilla ICS. I have tried to use Foxfi and good ol Wireless Tether for Root Users with no luck. I think there is an issue with running ad hoc vs. infrastructure mode, I get an error in the log every time with wireless tether that says "unable to start ad hoc mode".

Has ANYONE been able to successfully turn their rooted VZW S3 into a wifi hotspot??

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, rooted, running stock vanilla ICS. I have tried to use Foxfi and good ol Wireless Tether for Root Users with no luck. I think there is an issue with running ad hoc vs. infrastructure mode, I get an error in the log every time with wireless tether that says "unable to start ad hoc mode".

Has ANYONE been able to successfully turn their rooted VZW S3 into a wifi hotspot??
Some history first. WiFi Hotspot worked fine last summer when my phone was running ICS using the default options and paying. Fast forward six plus months. Now with Jellybean and a shared data plan, invoking the Verizon Mobile Hotspot or directly from Settings results in "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped." Thought I could work around this by Tethering via USB, but again same result. Is anyone else having this problem? Hope I'm just missing an obvious step or option.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-05-16-45-12.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-05-16-45-12.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 34

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, this helps. Good news is that after a Factory Reset and Titanium Backup Restore the WiFi Hotspot works perfectly. Don't know what happened as I did a Factory Reset before/after updating from ICS to Jellybean. I did run into "Could not contact the AM server" message several times when trying to initialize the feature. The message popped up after system initiated a plan check to see if I indeed was allowed to use WiFi Hotspot. About 10 minutes later apparently the AM server responded, and all was good from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy