Who's Old Enough to Remember ?

junglesnake98

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I am only in my mid 30's but I honestly don't even remember cell phones until I was a teenager. My first Motorola had a pull up antenna, terrible signal but I thought I was the coolest kid of the block...until I learned that my parents could call me at ANY time too!! Yea, we have came a long ways and its only getting better!

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Yep.....I do too. My son asked me what type of cell phone I had when I was his age....."boy, we didn't have cell phones - if we wanted to make a call, we had to stop at a pay phone". He just stares at me.

funny, a couple months ago my brother had a party for his daughter and my mother, who doesnt have a cell phone, got lost on the way to the party and never showed up, she called a couple hours later when she got back home to explain what happened and I said why didnt you just call from a pay phone? Everyone started laughing and asked when was the last time I saw a pay phone? I know they are out there but I couldnt figure out where there was one.

I remember going to the mall as a kid and having to wait in line at one of those pay phone stations where there was like a dozen phones lined up with kids waiting to use them and it cost 10 cents to make a call :D

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
From this:

rotary-phone.jpg

To This:

phonebooth.JPG

Then:

b0b183c207f46f0cca7dc63b2604f5cc.png

Then:

motorola-microtac-led-1_.jpg

Ummmmmmmmmmm....................I need a nap.

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site

Were the hookers also there or was that the only good photo you could find?

My first 2 phones were LG from the mid-late 00s. I have used a rotary before, though. Only just recently found out you could dial numbers with just the plunger.... also used a record player for the first time a few weeks ago. I was going to invite a couple friends over to listen to my 33 1/3 The Wall album I bought... and then I remembered that I'm 19 living in 2012 and none of my friends care about records :<

I vaguely remember my older sister always wanting a pager...

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Were the hookers also there or was that the only good photo you could find?

My first 2 phones were LG from the mid-late 00s. I have used a rotary before, though. Only just recently found out you could dial numbers with just the plunger.... also used a record player for the first time a few weeks ago. I was going to invite a couple friends over to listen to my 33 1/3 The Wall album I bought... and then I remembered that I'm 19 living in 2012 and none of my friends care about records :<

Aahhhhh........................young "Grasshopper"

"Kung Fu" David Carradine

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I think I might still have my pager laying around somewhere.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The good old pager, I carried one of those around for 13 years.

I cant believe Debbie Gibson didn't have a song " Here's my number ,,,, Page me maybe "

dkeven

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Dad's State car had a rotary dial you keyed in to dial towers than got tone and dialed office, First phone was in car, later had a motorola bag phone, those were the days, carried it around at a fair once, man I was an early nerd techie. Snake on the Nokia, analog still the best signal coverage where I lived.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
First Cell was a Bag phone with a whole 3 watts of signal power. Was stylin there with Bell Atlantic. Then I moved on the smaller cells but no brick phone. Went to Star Tac (Still a great phone found it but not the charger still looks like new.) Then to a Moto Razor, that lil silver thing not what Moto has now. After that to the Iphone the rest is history.

Yes I am old enough to have regularly used a rotary dial phone both desk wall and wooden phone box pay phone. Where's Methuselah when ya need hi,.:D

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
My mom had a Startac! Even though I was a teenager, my mom wouldn't let me have a cell phone. Instead I had a pager! Lol

My mom also had those big bricks!

I still have 3 of them in a box in the closet.

TAPPED in on my locked bootloader Verizon S3

jrb3

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
my first car was a 77 Lincoln town car. equipped with state-of-the-art technologies like carburetors, FM stereo receiver, and an 8-track player.
first "computer," Radio Shack TRS-80C. before the days of a floppy disc, we used a cassette recorder to keep files and programs. Used to tell the computer to listen on the correct port, then hit play on the tape deck before the PC error-ed.
...cassette tapes.
... VHS.
... beta-max.
... laser-disc (the big 14" ones)
...coleco vision, the Atari "knock-off"
...BBS bulletin board services on REAL dial-up modems! (20 years before the Internet, that's what we had kiddies...)

...I remember when I thought a 286 was fast...lemmings had almost no video lag.
oh yeah, the star-tac was prolly the best phone ever....tri-mode cdma. worked everwhere.

RogerThat99

May 11, 2010
Visit site
My dad had one of the first pagers in the Mid 70's, it was the size of a walkie talkie. You listened to the message over a speaker, so everyone had to be quite when it went off. LOL.

I remember the bag phones, but never had one. My first phone was a Techni-Phone (sp?), then a motorola flip, then a Motorola Micro-Tac Elite (with built in answering machine so you could screen your calls), the Star Tac, then Nokia with snake. My first smart phone was an HTC 6700 or something like that with Windows Mobile (which replaced my Palm Pilot Vx).

Regarding history. Pactel (along with other companies) became AirTouch, which became Verizon.

Cellular One became AT&T Wireless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy