got my VZW GS3, but why is is not that much bigger than my GNex?

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I have never seen the GS3 in person and I just assumed that it has a much bigger screen
than my current Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I went ahead and ordered the GS3 from
VerizonWireless.com and it arrived yesterday.

I was somewhat surprised that the screen isn't much bigger than my GNex... the
resolution(sharpness?) seemed to be about the same.

Also, does Verizon charge a restocking fee if I return the phone within a week or
two? I always thought they didn't, based on past experience, but the GS3's
receipt said there will be a restocking fee.. is this new?

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: got my VZW GS3, but why is is not that much bigger than my GN

The screen is a little bit bigger. But at the same resolution

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

so it's still the same grade of SuperAMOLED screen? the reason I'm asking
is that the VZW corporate store employee told me the GS3's SuperAMOLED
screen is of a much higher grade SuperAMOLED screen than the one on my
current Galaxy Nexus? or was he just trying to sell me a phone? (which probably
was the reason, because I informed me that I could only order the phone directly
on VZW's website because of my company's corporate contract with them)

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
They're both HD SuperAMOLED. So is the Note. Just different sizes.

Can't wait for Sammy's next flagship. They've supposedly perfected production of AMOLED screens at 350ppi (Retina is 326ppi).

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

breeze

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Also, does Verizon charge a restocking fee if I return the phone within a week or
two? I always thought they didn't, based on past experience, but the GS3's
receipt said there will be a restocking fee.. is this new?

I think Verizon had too many people buying the phone just to play with it with no intention of keeping it, or to tide them over while their other phone was being fixed, or to play with something new while waiting on the latest and greatest to be available, or ...(insert frivolous reason here). The returned phones have to be refurbished (whatever that is) and cannot be re-sold as new. I am not a Verizon fanboy, I curse them daily for other reasons, but restocking fee is not one of them.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

restocking fee has been there for a long time. 4.65 vs 4.8 is not a huge increase, but iirc, the gnex screen size includes the on screen buttons.

BullFrog76

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Best buy doesn't charge a restocking fee. You have 30 days or 60 if you have reward zone premier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
4.65 vs 4.8 isn't much of a difference but the onscreen buttons on the gnex does eat up part of the screen. I find the gnex screen feels a little cramped after using the S3. Text on the gnex does look a bit better imo.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Rackness

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
It is suprising how little the employees know. When i was at the store buying the case for my s3 I. Overheard one if the sales reps trying to sell a customer the s3 leading with it is the only quad core phone availabe today. I had to politely interject and correct him. I think it us a great phone and i really enjoy mine you certainly dont need to lie to folks to sell it. I didnt call him a liar i just explained the phone and the difference between the international and domestic versions. The customer still bought the phone. You have to take what they say with a grain of salt and do your homework before going to the store. We have to remember to most of them it is just a job they don't work there because they are phone junkies.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
You have to also remember they make commission at corporate stores. That's why they try to sell you on the latest, greatest, most expensive phone using any means necessary, even if that means lying to your face.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The SGS III has a screen size of 4.8 inches versus 4.65 inches for the Galaxy Nexus. But more of the SGS III display is useable most of the time since the navigation keys are are not displayed on the screen as is the case for the Galaxy Nexus.

Sent from my Jelly Bean-equipped Galaxy Nexus

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Even though the screens are the same my gs3 screen appears to be much better than my nexus. Whites are less gray and deeper blacks and I don't have the brightness very high.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463